How to adjust front suspension? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 24Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

How to adjust front suspension?

So looking at the manual does not help. I donít have the tool that supposedly came with the bike and I am not sure what I am supposed to me turning. I see the screw on top,then the blue bolt,then the silver one. I have used a wrench to turn the blue but do not hear the click. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 AM

The blue bolt is the adjuster for the spring pre-load. Turning clockwise increases the pre-load. There are no "clicks" with the blue bolt, just turns. The full range is about 15 turns (completed 360deg turns of the blue bolt). The standard position is 5 turns (from full soft - full counterclockwise) for the manual transmission and 8.5 turns for the DCT. Same adjustment on both forks.

The inner screw head (at the center of the blue bolt) is to adjust the rebound damping. Turning it clockwise increases the rebound damping. To adjust - turn it fully clockwise (max damping) and then back off (counterclockwise) 2.25 turns for the standard position. The full range adjustment is 3 to 4 turns.

The compression damping adjuster is the screw head at the base of each fork leg (to see this look up from underneath each fork leg directly along the axis of the leg). This screw head does have clicks. Maximum damping is fully clockwise. Standard position is backed of from full by 8 clicks. The total range is approx 12 clicks.

No special tools needed - just a wrench for the blue bolt (19mm if I remember correctly) and a straight head screwdriver for the compression and rebound damping screws.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by TMac99; 06-25-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added comment on tools required
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 AM

On my Africa Twin Adventure Sport. When I turn the Blue Spring Preload bolt, the rebound screw turns with it. So be careful to Readjust the rebound screw if you change the Preload.
TMac99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac99 View Post
The blue bolt is the adjuster for the spring pre-load. Turning clockwise increases the pre-load. There are no "clicks" with the blue bolt, just turns. The full range is about 15 turns (completed 360deg turns of the blue bolt). The standard position is 5 turns (from full soft - full counterclockwise) for the manual transmission and 8.5 turns for the DCT. Same adjustment on both forks.

The inner screw head (at the center of the blue bolt) is to adjust the rebound damping. Turning it clockwise increases the rebound damping. To adjust - turn it fully clockwise (max damping) and then back off (counterclockwise) 2.25 turns for the standard position. The full range adjustment is 3 to 4 turns.

The compression damping adjuster is the screw head at the base of each fork leg (to see this look up from underneath each fork leg directly along the axis of the leg). This screw head does have clicks. Maximum damping is fully clockwise. Standard position is backed of from full by 8 clicks. The total range is approx 12 clicks.

No special tools needed - just a wrench for the blue bolt (19mm if I remember correctly) and a straight head screwdriver for the compression and rebound damping screws.

Hope this helps,

Thanks! Now it makes sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM

If you are looking for a stiffer front, I have heard mention that several riders have gone with a heavier fork oil in the front. Haven't tried it myself, though.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 AM

aage - You have raised an interesting point about the rebound adjuster turning when the pre load adjuster is turned.

The pre load adjuster and rebound adjuster have pock marks lined up to indicate the factory setting for the rebound adjuster. From that its my understanding is that its the position of the rebound screw relative to the pre load screw that sets the rebound damping.

So if I am correct , when you turn the pre load adjuster the rebound adjuster will turn with it but the relative position of the two will remain the same, hence rebound damping will remain un changed.

Does anyone know for sure
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
aage - You have raised an interesting point about the rebound adjuster turning when the pre load adjuster is turned.

The pre load adjuster and rebound adjuster have pock marks lined up to indicate the factory setting for the rebound adjuster. From that its my understanding is that its the position of the rebound screw relative to the pre load screw that sets the rebound damping.

So if I am correct , when you turn the pre load adjuster the rebound adjuster will turn with it but the relative position of the two will remain the same, hence rebound damping will remain un changed.

Does anyone know for sure
That's what I was thinking too - it needs clarifying
Mike
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Mike

yes, rebound turns with preload.. use the punch mark for reference on the rebound only.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Mike
Easy to clarify yourself in about 2 minutes, after adjusting the preload just wind the damping adjuster fully in and back off to the number of clicks you prefer/had set at previously.
ORVdaveVA likes this.

250X7 (first bike 17 years old, T-Boned it in 3 weeks), CB250K4 (needed wheels), CB350K4 (last wheels needed replacing, ran engine without oil after rebuild, DOH!), T500 (didnt handle, didn't care, 2-stroke smoke - EPIC!), 883 Sportster (oh dear, mistake), 1340 Lowrider Covertible (stolen before a year old), Daytona 1200 (heavy, 147BHP mad lump), DR350 (reliable small thumper), CRF1000 (love it)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM

This is a great post and thread!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page