1st proper crash - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
R.M

1st proper crash

Came home from work today & decided to go for a spin. Roads were wet in patches due to showers.
Came to a left handed junction (we ride on left) and turned the corner & gave it some throttle.

Had TC at level 1. Next thing I knew I was on the ground. Rear wheel hit a small puddle & lost traction. Left a 20ft skid (wheel spin) mark on the road. Bike did a complete 360 spin. Damage done:

Touring screen popped right off.
Rear left passenger footpeg snapped off.
Hand guard scuffed as well as bar weight
Gear lever scuffed & possibly bent in a little.
Crash bar scuffed
Bumot skid plate scuffed
Left Handlebar at least 1" pushed up to the right
Left rear fairing was scratched (I thought) but a bit of T-Cut) sorted that out.

Small scratch on my new helmet (1st time using it today)
Banged my elbow (bit swollen & sore)

The scary thing is it all happened so fast. One second I was preparing for a left turn, then I see my bike moving away from me.

Luckily I was wearing all the correct gear. Crash bars saved alot of damage.

I have refitted the screen, touched up the crash bars & skid plate.
Will try & find replacement hand guard & bar end weight & probably take to my dealer to sort the handlebars.

Really glad it wasn't more serious & thankfully I spen the few hundred on crash protection 1st day or I'd be looking at a costly fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 PM

Do you think tc3 would have saved you? Glad you are not hurt baldly. Sucks to hit an elbow and I hope it heals fast for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 PM

I'm glad you're OK, shows the benefit of wearing the gear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:04 PM

Well done. Will you be doing an ice report?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
R.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarg Eggers View Post
Do you think tc3 would have saved you? Glad you are not hurt baldly. Sucks to hit an elbow and I hope it heals fast for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who knows...probably
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M View Post
Came home from work today & decided to go for a spin. Roads were wet in patches due to showers.
Came to a left handed junction (we ride on left) and turned the corner & gave it some throttle.

Had TC at level 1. Next thing I knew I was on the ground. Rear wheel hit a small puddle & lost traction. Left a 20ft skid (wheel spin) mark on the road. Bike did a complete 360 spin. Damage done:

Touring screen popped right off.
Rear left passenger footpeg snapped off.
Hand guard scuffed as well as bar weight
Gear lever scuffed & possibly bent in a little.
Crash bar scuffed
Bumot skid plate scuffed
Left Handlebar at least 1" pushed up to the right
Left rear fairing was scratched (I thought) but a bit of T-Cut) sorted that out.

Small scratch on my new helmet (1st time using it today)
Banged my elbow (bit swollen & sore)

The scary thing is it all happened so fast. One second I was preparing for a left turn, then I see my bike moving away from me.

Luckily I was wearing all the correct gear. Crash bars saved alot of damage.

I have refitted the screen, touched up the crash bars & skid plate.
Will try & find replacement hand guard & bar end weight & probably take to my dealer to sort the handlebars.

Really glad it wasn't more serious & thankfully I spen the few hundred on crash protection 1st day or I'd be looking at a costly fix.
I wonder if there was diesel on the road. Sounds like an instantaneous lack of adhesion followed by bite and traction to spit you off.

Or, after the very hot dry spell lots of slippery rubber on the road the turned into a skating rink with the rain.

Either way, pride hurt and sore elbow and some scratches but...it could have been worse.

Good luck.

Stuart
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM

I;ll send you a bar end weight and handguard for postage only to make you feel a bit better.
pm me.
Z
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM

I was offroad today, on some dirt and sand roads. I was in TC6. I am not sure exactly what that equates to with an older bike.
But I was trying to break the rear end loose and get it to spin, but I was unable to. Even sitting still and giving full throttle in S1 only yielded about a millisecond of wheels spin and then a low rev and smooth rideaway.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
R.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarafah View Post
I;ll send you a bar end weight and handguard for postage only to make you feel a bit better.
pm me.
Z
Many thanks for the offer Zarafah, but I already ordered a few replacement parts from Partzilla last night. Much cheaper than anywhere else. Nice of you to offer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:26 AM

I dropped my Twin in the wet due to the OEM Dunlops and since switching to Conti TA2's have had no unpleasant surprises

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page