Africa Twin Induced Handlebar OCD - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SkiddPlate

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Africa Twin Induced Handlebar OCD

Hello everyone,

I realigned my handlebars after purchasing my 2017 as they were skewed to the right. Common problem apparently from how certain models were shipped.

To look at the bars, they are aligned with the caps of the forks when the bike is stationary.

However, I have noticed at highway speeds that they don’t always look straight. Sometimes they look off to the right (right bar closer to rider) even when I think I’m riding straight.

Other times, they look straight at highway speed when I’m going straight.

So, seeing as I’ve never had to think about misaligned bars with any other bike I’ve owned (aside from dirt bikes) my OCD has taken grip and I need to figure out why this seems to be the case.

Could road camber cause the bars to look off when riding in a straight line? Ie. am i countersteering a little bit to counter road camber on some roads?

Am I fighting the wind causing the bars to look off when going in a straight line?

Am I the only person who thinks about this? I love my AT but sometimes it causes me unnecessary stress lol.

Thanks for reading,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:07 AM

Have you checked rear wheel allignment?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:39 AM

The AT is notorious for being easily popped out of alignment. Before you loosen up everything from the axel to the triple tree be sure to first try simply loosening up the riser top clamps, wiggle the bars, and then tighten them back down. I discovered that more often than not, that is where they are tweaked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:30 AM

I went through the same thing. I actually had my dealer generate a factory investigation because MY OCD had me convinced that the upper clamps were misdrilled during manufacturing.
The dealer tech looked at bikes on the showroom floor and found every bike had misaligned bars. Turns out the bar mounts are elastomerised, the threaded bits run through big rubber bushings in the top clamp. the holes have lots of wiggle room.
Turn the forks to full lock and give the bars a hearty torque filled tweak in the direction need to correct the offset. If no go, lossen the 17mm nuts on the bottom of the bar mounts, give them a twist in the corrective direction. Retorque nuts.
I've got my mounts as tight as I can get them and I still have too much play. Just turning the bars while sitting on the bike will tweak the alignment. I've got Rox Risers with elastomeric mounts that have 2" more height than OEM. This puts more leverage on the factory mounts.
I'm now considering hard mounting the bar mounts to remove that wiggle room with the rubber bushings. the Rox Risers give me all the vibration isolation I need. The slop in the bar alignment bugs the tar out of me. Swapping the bushings for big stainless washers hopefully will allow me to fix the bar mount issue.
MildlyInterested likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM

The designers wouldn't go to the effort of specifying rubber mounts if they didn't think it was needed. Let us know what effect solidifying the bar mounts has on the vibration.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM

My bars are already isolated with the elastomeric Rox Risers. The designers obviously had it sorted perfectly with their sloppy azz bushings. Just trying to find a solution to my issue.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 PM

If you sit on the bike and wobble the bars from left to right quickly you can feel the slop between the bars and the front wheel it feels like the bars are connected to the front wheel via 2 pieces of string do that on a KTM and its as direct as a direct thing

If anyone sorts out a method of removing the slop even if by removing the rubber bushing id be very interested
Rob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Anybody just removed the rubber bushing ?
Not fussed re vibration ..
Ta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page