Oil Leak - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Oil Leak

Ladies and Gents,

Last time when changing oil, I found some oil leak in the area left to the oil filter, see pic 1. Could not identify the source of the leak, and suspecting that the leak could be coming from the bolt (as highlighted in pic 2). I unscrewed the bolt and added a crush washer hoping this is the fix. Around 1000 miles later (went on to a trip), I still see the leak (see pic 3).

The leak seems to be coming from the side of the oil filter, and only on one side. Or maybe it's not from the oil.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	44663   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	44665   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	44667  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Have a look at what gasket mating surface looks like under the oil filter? I remember reading another post regarding a surface irregularity on one side of the oil filter gasket mating surface. It seems it was just enough to cause some weeping of oil under pressure, like what you appear to have. Looking at the pics it appears that your leak is limited to one side (as was the other poster's leak)?

Another question: what was under the cap-bolt you put the crush washer under? That's not a relief valve of some kind, is it? If that bolt tensions some kind of valve spring, putting a thicker crush washer under it could change the spring tension/valve function.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
Looking at the pics it appears that your leak is limited to one side (as was the other poster's leak)?
Correct. Only happening on one side, the side close to the center of the bike.

'17 Honda CRF1000 DCT Tri Color
'14 Honda CB1100 DLX #000289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarashii View Post
Correct. Only happening on one side, the side close to the center of the bike.

I remember seeing a problem with some bikes having a roughness on the oil filter mating surface that causes the oil filter gasket not to seal properly. You should remove the oil filter and check the gasket mating surface. If all is well, you can reinstall the oil filter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM

That's definitely an oil leak. If the filter gasket ring was not coated in oil before installation they will sometimes leak. I would change the oil and filter, clean and oil the gasket and clean the engine surface and put it back on and torque it to Honda specs (19 lb/ft, 26 Nm). Even when done right sometimes they leak anyway.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKLR View Post
That's definitely an oil leak. If the filter gasket ring was not coated in oil before installation they will sometimes leak. I would change the oil and filter, clean and oil the gasket and clean the engine surface and put it back on and torque it to Honda specs (19 lb/ft, 26 Nm). Even when done right sometimes they leak anyway.
Thanks Robert. That's what I am doing and trace the leak source. I have some reservation on the 19 lb/ft. I understand it's what it says in the owner's manual, but isn't that a bit too tight? I always use hand tighten and adding a quarter to it. I am just afraid that it's going to be too tight and can get it out next time.

'17 Honda CRF1000 DCT Tri Color
'14 Honda CB1100 DLX #000289
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:40 PM

The leak is coming from that bolt you described. It needs to be replaced with the OEM bolt. Should be a warranty replacement. I had the same issue...

18 Africa Twin AS
17 Husky FE350
03 RSV Mille R
96 Ducati 955
05 CRF150F
78 GL1000
77 GL1000
Gone but never forgotten...
12 Brutale RR
99 CBR1100XX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page