Highest Mileage on the AT - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:00 PM

Wow! That's impressive. Really good logs and tire reports on his website.
So he's had to do routine service (oil change, filters, air filter, brakes and tires) and only two 'major' things - rear bearing replacement around 130,000 kilometres and the right side control/ignition. Pretty good track record for our bikes so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
Mar 2016 and 78000 Km now without problems.
This guy is at 182000 Km now with DCT problem Free.
http://www.varahannes.at/afrika%20twin.htm

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywilma View Post
I was led to believe Its a dual clutch transmission meaning same as manual but electronic shifting using hydraulics and computer to shift, An automatic uses a Torque converter, and This system uses a fluid coupling in place of a friction clutch, and accomplishes gear changes by hydraulically locking and unlocking a system of planetary gears!. Only Saying..
The clutch packs are completely the same design as in a regular automatic trans; they're hydraulically applied under computer control. Since the rider cannot affect the apply rate and pressure of the clutches, he can't burn them out. The shift drum is the same as in a manual, except there's an electric motor to turn it, no hydraulics.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
The clutch packs are completely the same design as in a regular automatic trans; they're hydraulically applied under computer control. Since the rider cannot affect the apply rate and pressure of the clutches, he can't burn them out. The shift drum is the same as in a manual, except there's an electric motor to turn it, no hydraulics.
Mostly correct of course, but they did give us the 'G-mode' ...
There will always be someone, somewhere, who is the exception and
will burn out both clutches in the DCT
Oldtech likes this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
Mostly correct of course, but they did give us the 'G-mode' ...
There will always be someone, somewhere, who is the exception and
will burn out both clutches in the DCT
I used to be a licenced motorcycle tech in another lifetime and as we used to say around the shop "there's always one more idiot than you counted on" . Some people can destroy anything.
jamnut likes this.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
Wow! That's impressive. Really good logs and tire reports on his website.
So he's had to do routine service (oil change, filters, air filter, brakes and tires) and only two 'major' things - rear bearing replacement around 130,000 kilometres and the right side control/ignition. Pretty good track record for our bikes so far.
Didn't want to translate everything on his site but basically confirmed that the Bridgestone Battlewing is an amazing tire. I've always used it on my Varadero. Never had it slip out even in aggressive driving in the wet and cold, warms up quickly and feels great on all road surfaces. Great cornering and high speed stability, plus good life, 10k km+ on the front and bit less on the back with no deterioration. Pity they don't make it in AT size, I'd be their first customer.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:37 PM

Just a few ticks off of 50,000 kilometres. Not a single issue to report. Just basic maintenance - oil/filter, tires, lube stuff. That's it.
The only thing that finally failed was the side stand - it's bent from my summer trip. Otherwise, it's been a terrific bike in every way.
jamnut likes this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Garage
I've had my 18 ATAS Manual since July 13th, I'm rolling over 1,000 miles on my way home from work.
superfunkomatic likes this.

18 AT AS
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
I have always put about 25000 miles per year on my bike. However, my 2016 Africa Twin DCT has been a exception to the rule I have kept sense 1958. O’yea I am in my mid 70’s.

Purchased this bike on November of 2016. Sense then after 2 knee replacements, two eye lenses replaced, two eye lid operations, two teeth removed, a heart attract, AFIB, shock treatments, 4 months in a life vest, 19 stitches in by left leg, dislocated right shoulder, and a concussion. ONLY 25000 miles in three years. This getting old is not for sissy’s..............

Now that I can ride again, my DCT is now in the shop for almost 2 months now with shifting problems.

An all I have ever really wanted to do is JUST RIDE.

Last edited by Old Can Ride; 07-31-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
I have always put about 25000 miles per year on my bike. However, my 2016 Africa Twin DCT has been a exception to the rule I have kept sense 1958. Oyea I am in my mid 70s.

Purchased this bike on November of 2016. Sense then after 2 knee replacements, two eye lenses replaced, two eye lid operations, two teeth removed, a heart attract, AFIB, shock treatments, 4 months in a life vest, 19 stitches in by left leg, dislocated right shoulder, and a concussion. ONLY 25000 miles in three years. This getting old is not for sissys..............

Now that I can ride again, my DCT is now in the shop for almost 2 months now with shifting problems.

An all I have ever really wanted to do is JUST RIDE.

Wishing you the best sir, with your health and the bike. I sure hope I can ride until I'm 90 if I make it there
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:45 AM

24K on my 2016 DCT... Just normal maintenance items performed with no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page