Highest Mileage on the AT - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:24 AM

This encourages me a lot I’m looking at buying an AT DCT as a commuter and then to go and have fun at the weekends I’m looking at around 4-5000km a month so will factor in a service every 6 weeks just to keep on top of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
Just returned home from finishing the second leg of the TransAmerica Trail.
Somewhere along the trail in Oregon, my odo turned over 60k+ miles.
Clutch problems? no.
Holed alternator cover? 5x in its lifetime, so far.
Made it back on JBWeld fix.
superfunkomatic likes this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
I have always put about 25000 miles per year on my bike. However, my 2016 Africa Twin DCT has been a exception to the rule I have kept sense 1958. Oyea I am in my mid 70s.

Purchased this bike on November of 2016. Sense then after 2 knee replacements, two eye lenses replaced, two eye lid operations, two teeth removed, a heart attract, AFIB, shock treatments, 4 months in a life vest, 19 stitches in by left leg, dislocated right shoulder, and a concussion. ONLY 25000 miles in three years. This getting old is not for sissys..............

Now that I can ride again, my DCT is now in the shop for almost 2 months now with shifting problems.

An all I have ever really wanted to do is JUST RIDE.
You're too hard on the bike, OCR.
Take it easy...

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
DCTFAN, you are one to be calling me hard. If I remember correctly, every time we have ridden together you are the one passing me up. Saw you just did the Oregon trail. I tore my ACL on that trip. I have not ridden the Colorado trail, hopefully this fall some time soon. But first another trip to the Appalachian Mountains.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Well it seems I bought the right bike when I told my wife this would be my last one... So I bought it June 29 2019 and currently have 80 miles.

On July 12 I broke toe (un-related to bike) and been resting it for 6 weeks with walking boot. Just got a Remus exhaust and Kaoko hnd310, now searching for crash bars. Can't wait to visit family in the carolinas this fall.

So if it's this reliable does anyone think I should get the extended 6 year warranty? Dealer wants $1,000 and includes roadside during that time.
Cuchulainn likes this.

'18 ATAS dct leftover
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Too_Tired View Post
Well it seems I bought the right bike when I told my wife this would be my last one... So I bought it June 29 2019 and currently have 80 miles.

On July 12 I broke toe (un-related to bike) and been resting it for 6 weeks with walking boot. Just got a Remus exhaust and Kaoko hnd310, now searching for crash bars. Can't wait to visit family in the carolinas this fall.

So if it's this reliable does anyone think I should get the extended 6 year warranty? Dealer wants $1,000 and includes roadside during that time.
I did. I have only had to use the roadside once, because I got a flat and didn't have a repair kit with me (I know I should have been carrying one), but it worked well, went very smoothly and Honda was a pleasure to deal with. Very good communication and follow up.

As it turned out, I ended up deciding to trade my 2016 AT in for an ATAS after a couple of years and got a pro-rated rebate from the original warranty back, which I applied toward the new one.

If I only end up needing it for that 1 tow, I will knock on wood and be OK with that.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:31 PM

2016 bought new in May 2016 manual. 21k miles. No issues except for left tank emblem falling off somewhere in Georgia. And occasional rough idle when cold starting but goes away in after a few seconds. Other than that the bike has been solid. Not sure about the rough idling it's always done it.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:42 AM

2017 manual tricolor bought in April 2017, 40K miles so far (i.e. in 2.5 years) with no significant problem, ridden hard in Europe, Asia and Africa and taken quite often off-road.

The only issue I had was the standard fork wear at the lower clamp point, I did not have any stiction but since I saw it while changing the fork oil, I got Honda to replace the fork upper under warranty just before the latter expired (bike had then 30K miles). I bet it will re-appear (only the ATAS uppers possibly cure it) but I will not bother from now on.

For information, I change the oil every 4K miles (filter every other oil change) unless I am on the road, as when in the trips to Asia and Africa where I changed it after 6K miles. We checked the valves only at 29K miles and we found them all in spec, I have written elsewhere in here.

Only modifications I have done are: 1-tooth bigger rear sprocket (a must IMO), a beefier rear spring (95N/mm as opposed to the original 82.5N/mm) and a modification of the driver's seat to make it a bit more comfortable.

Last edited by XLGeorge; 10-10-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page