Who's Riding DCT & Who's Riding Manual *POLL* - Page 12 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: DCT or MANUAL
DCT 178 59.14%
MANUAL 123 40.86%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

92Likes

post #111 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:34 PM

The pole needs a third option. Both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM

I'm riding a DTC and I don't understand why the bike shifts up to 6th gear while riding at 35mph. I user the paddle shifter to downshift to 3rd gear is this ok?
Other than that I love the bike.

1 John 5:14
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

2018 Honda Africa Twin 1000LD DCT (Black and Bronze)
2018 Kawasaki KLR 650
post #113 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 PM

Manuel here.
MrRobb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 AM

18 at dct
post #115 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordnikon View Post
I'm riding a DTC and I don't understand why the bike shifts up to 6th gear while riding at 35mph. I user the paddle shifter to downshift to 3rd gear is this ok?
Other than that I love the bike.
Try using S1, you wil love it
Vanegilsson likes this.

Have fun, or don't, your choice
post #116 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 AM

manual
post #117 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 PM

Been riding for almost 50 years, and I love my DCT, but I wish it had one thing...a clutch handle. Being able to feather the clutch during low-speed maneuvers really helps. I love the DCT otherwise, but sometimes I wish I had a manual for dirt riding. And I don't mean fire roads. I mean 2 tracks or single tracks. I plan on putting a smaller front sprocket on it, and that may help. It tends to move at a jogging pace in 1st gear with very little throttle. I used to ride competitive trials and a clutch was mandatory. This isn't a GasGas, but it does pretty well on technical trails as long as you can keep some momentum.
post #118 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:08 AM

Hello,

Straight to it.
Riding BMX since age four.
Dirt bikes since age eight.
Raced both,
Yada, yada, ..... I'm 50.

After about a year of research I chose the Africa twin ... Stepping into the next chapter of riding ...trying to get away from the 250 2 strokes and my crf450 ...(skipped the 650--->900 class because I still smelled young man danger out of them ....if you got time I'll show you X-rays)

However I will strive to ride "forever"..
I was always curious about DCT due to all of the reviews I've read , all of the riding and dealer contacts I've talked with about it .... And it always was 60/40 in favour of DCT(much like the poll )....even a few of my hard core riding buddies said "yup DCT".

So I was torn with this DCT dilemma ...
Then for what ever reason I made the decision to go manual. Firm.

I walked into the dealership and knew what I wanted.
My sales buddy said try the DCT .....I said nope...not interested at all.
Signed a deal for a manual..

He said " I'd feel really bad if you didn't at least take the DCT for a spin and tell me what you think."
I told him I'm not going to muddy the waters of my decision ....
after chatting, he wasn't pushing me to buy the DCT, he just said it's slow today, you got all day, just take it, it's a nice day for a free ride.

I succumbed and ended up riding it for the better part of the day ...I came back and re-worked the deal for a DCT

It was not even close to what I had thought "an automatic bike / scooter thing" was going to be.

IMO, On this bike, DCT works well.

Make no mistake, there is a DCT learning curve ...not in how to ride or how to shift ..but how to use the bike as it comes.

No " feather the cultch neutral " for coast, or adjustments ... And with a sensitive throttle by wire , there's a few surprise lurches when not expecting...but again,
note-to-self, N-button and throttle hand awareness.

I've tried the various settings, found stark differences; Found what settings I like for how I ride, and now I ride it like I stole it....
Like I do my 450.

But as it is a 530 lb adventure bike... I ride to it's and my limits as best I can.

So far it handles all the single track and adventure trails I've challenged on it, and does all I'd expect out of it. On dirt roads, It high speed drifts like a dream, and on the street it puts a smile on my face as well.

I cannot yet see DCT on a crf450 based upon weight and how it is ridden, but then again I'm not gonna ride this AT like my 450 .....close but not.

So far I am loving riding this bike like I shouldn't, at my age, and if it stands up to how I ride it ...... It is the way to go on this class of bike.

My suggestion is to get a demo ride on a DCT ...... It will help you make a more informed decision for what you want and how you ride. For sure it is worth a test ride.

(No behemoths either, I want to adventure trail ride, not bumble through like a bull in a china shop)

Plus with FULL manual shifting available (via thumb/finger paddles) you have the best of both worlds
This bike DCT.

Last edited by TwistedThrottle; 06-21-2019 at 03:21 AM. Reason: More info
post #119 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
Bump
I think this has been a good poll.
269 responded as of this post with almost 60% riding/wanting DCT
dascooter likes this.

Dave
I thought you could ride
post #120 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 12:31 AM

DCT and loving it 12000K's in last 6 months mostly on weekends here in NZ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page