Who's Riding DCT & Who's Riding Manual *POLL* - Page 9 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: DCT or MANUAL
DCT 159 59.11%
MANUAL 110 40.89%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

81Likes

post #81 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascooter View Post
I don't believe you'll regret it but everyone has their own opinion. If you miss the shifting, just put it in manual mode and you're in total control. I prefer Sport 2 myself most times. Still shift when it doesn't quite know what I want/need. Just play with it a bit and see what works for you. After you've ridden a bit report back on what you think.

Thank's for the hint!

Yes, I'll report back after some thousand miles or kilometers. That should be in late april or may because actually, we are buried in snow and, I'll spend the whole month of march in Thaïland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 AM

As a retired truck engineer I spent years dealing with the complexity of automated manual transmissions in trucks, admittedly the clutch was not internal or wet which can make a difference. The adverse publicity of Honda Jazz and VW group DSG's transmission has also added to give me a risk aversion for needless complexity. I have just ordered a new AT manual for delivery next month. On downloading a AT workshop manual I also noted the large % of pages given to DCT diagnosis and repair. I also noted there are a lot more DCT transmission posts on the forum than manual gearboxes ones. I guess is understandable considering the additional technology. As I am a dinosaur who is only pleasure riding, I want to keep the bike a simple as possible. Not only now, but for when the bike is a few years old.

Not in any way to denigrate Honda's great achievement with the fantastic DCT but I have decided the simplicity of a manual is for this old boy, of course if I had to commute on the AT it might be a different matter.

Good luck all you DCT riders!
Mr Biker and MPNM like this.

Last edited by RayCollington; 02-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #83 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 AM

My feeling is that most people who want the manual have their minds made up already. Those who don't care, take the DCT. I know I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
My feeling is that most people who want the manual have their minds made up already. Those who don't care, take the DCT. I know I did.
I wanted the DCT for the new tech thats been in cars that cost more than i will spend.
I do sometimes miss the fun/abuse off the line with a manual trans. You cant match the speed of a DCT shift with a manual trans imo

The new 2020 FORD Shelby GT500 is only available with DCT transmission btw.
gvmumbral likes this.

Dave
I thought you could ride

Last edited by ORVdaveVA; 02-04-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #85 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 AM

For a handicap rider as myself, DCT has been the only option to go and a great invention.
I can tell you that being unaible to switch gears with my lower extremities, DCT got me back on a motorcycle to enjoy life at 62 years young!!
Long live DCT!!!!!
post #86 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Manual ATAS.
MPNM likes this.
post #87 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM

Tested Both- Manual, Hands Down

I actually just bought my 2017 AT manual from a private seller on Friday. The week before, I rented both a DCT and a manual so I could compare. Loved the DCT. Loved times three the manual. That said, since they were rentals, I couldn't take them off-road, so I didn't experience the supposed benefits of the DCT in the soft stuff. I did take my bike out the day I bought it on a semi-gnarly desert road and had a ball. It wasn't trail riding by any means, but it was more than a dirt road, too. I couldn't see where the DCT would have been better. On the street, especially in the twisties, the manual feels so much better.
post #88 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:41 PM

Manual 30th Anniversary Edition here, & not too old to shift, yet.

2018 Africa Twin Adv Sports 30th Anniversary Edition 😁

Freedom is not free.
post #89 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:55 AM

DCT, happy with choice, but it did take awhile to get used to it. Not the up shifts, but the sort of “free wheel” feeling when letting off the throttle in corners, round-a-bouts, etc. I took it on a 3 hour test ride prior to purchasing it, friends with the dealer. Wasn’t 100% comfortable after the test ride without a manual clutch, but was such an intriguing ride, I bought it.

After two years of ownership, I’m happy with the decision. Yes I know you can go manually in the DCT if needed, but prefer one of the sport modes depending on terrain. I would say that going on a test ride or a one day rental will give you a rough idea of what the DCT is all about, but you need to live with one for several weeks to really understand the intricacies of what the transmission is capable of. Just like it took a while to learn and have a deep understanding of riding with a manual clutch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #90 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Garage
DCT here. I owned a Honda Rincon ATV with an automatic and I loved it. I also owned a VW GTI with a DCT transmission and it rocked until the ex took it with her. I have not grabbed for the clutch lever since day 2 and will never look back. This thing ROCKS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page