CRF1000L1 versus Adventure Sports (L2) comparison - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 PM

so im i a biased manual man... however i did take the dct for a half day test ride before i purchased my at... i liked it but just not for me.

i have done just over 3000 kms in 8 weeks. everything from daily commute to pushing the limits of the dunlop 610's in the bush.

my gripes with the bike are
1. the ever reported fueling issue .. ( i believe that a dyno tune will resolve this ) i have tried every octane i have available and still get coughs and splutters especially when in traffic.

2. im not a fan of the slop in the throttle of the fly by wire... i believe that i used to adjust the slop with the cable tension on old bikes and dont notice it .. i am getting used to it and starting not to think about it .. i would love Honda to make an adjustable tension in the throttle assembly.

3. when down changing in traffic i find that the clutch has to be all the way in or it will jam in between gears (no not a false neutral it gets stuck until the clutch is released and re engaged)

4.the finish behind the head lights... did Honda forget about this ?? a simple cover to hide the rear of the headlight section to tie it in with the rest of the glorious looking bike.

5. why is the clutch cable not hydraulic?

6. why is the clutch leaver adjustable but the front not? ( I have missing half right hand i need to shorten the throw of the lever .... after market only apparently..)

7. the welded pillion pegs brackets... something i over looked ... i liked the idea of being able to remove when not required.

8. the front plastic assembly .... remember when we could take the whole front off with 6 screws and a wiring clip ...

that's it really other than not having enough hours to ride it ..

plenty of great points that everone else has covered..

btw.. im 6ft1 and cant figure out what everyone is complaining about with the screen... but maybe im used to the buffering from all my older bikes..

shiny side up

e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
I put a Rekluse on my dirt bike and it really changed my riding style for the better. I started single tracking at age 58 after a long period of not riding at all and never on backwoods trails. It seemed that in any tight situation my mind was more focused on what my left hand was doing with the clutch then the trail itself. This overthinking would find me most times at the bottom of the hill without the bike. The Rekluse has been a game changer and now I find the trails an enjoyable experience, so I followed suit and put one on my manual 2018 ATAS. I've got a little over 1,800 miles on it and it's been great!!! No worries about stalling and it shifts easily with or without using the clutch. Before having it installed I spoke to the guys at Rekluse regarding durability and there seems not to be any long term issues. Well, guess I'll just keep on enjoying the ride.
For those of us old codgers who learned to ride and drive manually shifted cars and bikes as teens, and have continued to seek out manually shifted vehicles since then (over 50 years for me) there is no thinking about what your left hand is doing. It is firmly ingrained and hard wired into our feeble brains such that when I now drive an automatic car my left foot is always seeking out the clutch and my right hand reaching for the shifter. What requires thinking is overcoming these old habits.

But it is getting hard to find manually shifted cars and trucks anymore. And I donít doubt that in the not too distant future all vehicles including bikes will be some form of a CVT type transmission as it is superior for turning engine power into forward motion. It just isnít very much fun.

-Fred W
2017 Africa Twin ABS
2014 FJR1300ES
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
it is getting hard to find manually shifted cars and trucks anymore. And I donít doubt that in the not too distant future all vehicles including bikes will be some form of a CVT type transmission as it is superior for turning engine power into forward motion. It just isnít very much fun.
Not over here.. here it is 22% of cars on British roads are automatics. So, the vast majority are manual.

After more than 38 years riding normal motorcycles.. riding the DCT is an absolute hoot. great fun. I'm still getting used to it.. obviously. But thus far its probably the best decision Ive made in many a year.

Im not going to hold my breath about other manufacturers, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki and the Europeans producing a similar type of bike any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:01 PM

As another old codger (Brit living in Canada) I have a manual bike and a DCT bike and a manual car and I get as much pleasure from each. The DCT is amazing on the Africa Twin when you are negotiating a Rocky river bed and don't have to worry about stalling it being in the wrong gear. When you fall it's soley a lack of balance skill and not shitty gear selection! I love my petroleum motion converters long may they reign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
For those of us old codgers who learned to ride and drive manually shifted cars and bikes as teens, and have continued to seek out manually shifted vehicles since then (over 50 years for me) there is no thinking about what your left hand is doing. It is firmly ingrained and hard wired into our feeble brains such that when I now drive an automatic car my left foot is always seeking out the clutch and my right hand reaching for the shifter. What requires thinking is overcoming these old habits.

But it is getting hard to find manually shifted cars and trucks anymore. And I donít doubt that in the not too distant future all vehicles including bikes will be some form of a CVT type transmission as it is superior for turning engine power into forward motion. It just isnít very much fun.
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page