Tips on fitting Givi SR1161 rack only to ATAS - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
I'm a bit confused.... the Givi site indicates the monokey for the Dolomiti case...
http://giviusa.com/givi-products/cas...ey-case-detail
My apologies.. you are quite correct. the dolimiti IS monokey and so requires this adapter kit.

I got the two types the wrong way round. oops. such a stupid stupid mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monokey adapter.png
Views:	42
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	48053  

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Last edited by Motobiker; 04-16-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to NeilNewnham for the useful tips on this thread. I went for the Givi rack because I am using a 46ltr Dolomiti case (which is a fairly heavy item) and don't want any concerns about weight limits or the rack's ability to cope with it. The Givi was a pain in the backside to fit, but once on it's staying on and seems well over-engineered.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
I've not done it yet.. but it will be fairly soon.

Nothing (no plastics) has to 'come off' the rack comes in two parts and is fixed directly to the original steel luggage rack on the bike. It comes in two parts: A base that is fitted to the original. and then the rack itself which is bolted to the 'base'. You then add an adapter kit which makes it suitable for the Givi Monolock cases like the Dolomiti.

There are TWO adapter kits for Givi. one of which comes with a 'so called' locking angle. I would contact SW-Motech directly and ask them about this, there is probably a very simple reason one kit has this and the other does not. (my guess is the locking angle adds extra security.. or is perhaps required if you dont have the side racks.)

Below are two screen shots of the fitting instructions for the "Adventure Rack" which are self explanatory.

There is also a photo of the rack fitted to an Adventure Sport.. but ignore the adapter kit as its for another brand of top case (not Givi) and finally a screenshot of the Givi adapter kit with locking angle.
The screws, item 2, for the latch, item 1 in picture 4 on these Givi plates are easy to get at if some nasty person wants to steal your box, as my friend found out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTwin View Post
The screws, item 2, for the latch, item 1 in picture 4 on these Givi plates are easy to get at if some nasty person wants to steal your box, as my friend found out.
Did he use threadlock? SW-Motech say you must in the instructions and i would use 263

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Did he use threadlock? SW-Motech say you must in the instructions and i would use 263
Yes he used thread lock and filled the hex heads with silicon. He got another plate and used security shear bolts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Tim

Givi Monolock

I just finished installing a Givi E470 Simply 3 Monolock topcase. (Bought from Fortnine.com in Canada) It came with the mounting plate. The AT has the 4 holes on the rack and the holes on the mounting plate lined up fairly well. Only issue was that the two closest to the seat were on the very outside of the plate and the steel square "washer" wouldn't fit inside the triangular shaped area. I took some snips to the area and trimmed enough plastic off so that the "washer" would fit.
The rest of the install was very easy and the topcase is very high quality and looks good on the bike.
Now if it would only stop raining/snowing I could get out and give it a try...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to do this. Do you think it would be possible to send a photo of how part 9 sits when fitted (page 8, fig I) The way mine is, I can't remount part 22 (fig J) as it's sitting too high on part 9? Many thanks!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Personally it seems like a massive faff to fit the simplest of things. A top box.

When it comes time for me to do this and I do have a particular Givi box in mind, I will buy the SW Motech "Adventure Rack" plus the Givi conversion pack, and use that to hold the box. The rear rack on the 'Sport is rated for 22lbs, which is more than adequate. No need for girders.
It does seem like WAY to much work to mount just a top box but if it works for some people then it is what it is. I ordered the Altrider rear rack and plan to mount it then pop on the topcase. Looking at the instructions Ill be in for about 15 minutes worth or work.
desmo907 likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 AM

I did mount the SW Motech and Monokey adapter today. (Using a 30L Givi box). Pretty simple.
But when you mount the second (top) plate - be sure to first attache the "brackets" and rubber things that the Box attaches to FIRST, then mount the completed plate (4 screws) to the first (mounted) plate.

Instructions were not that clear and I mounted the top plate first then had to take it off to put on the mounting brackets as they had nuts to attach under (and be able to slide the rubber mounts into the holes).

2018 ATAS DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page