Tips on fitting Givi SR1161 rack only to ATAS - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Unread 01-22-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Tips on fitting Givi SR1161 rack only to ATAS

I recently fitted the Givi SR1161 rack and M7 top box plate, no pannier rails, to my ATAS and had a few minor issues during the process which might help others.

The product is great but my experience of working on the ATAS was nil.

The written instructions are pretty good but this GIVI video makes fitting it easier.

Note 1. After removing the rider’s seat I do suggest you put a towel or something over the whole exposed under-seat area before removing the bolts for the pillion seat. If you don’t and it slips out of your grasp it can disappear down into a 'well' beneath the rider’s seat and it is not easy to get the bolt out again.

Note 2. When removing the painted body panels either side of the seat watch for the strong clip hidden inside at the back end, see image 1. Try to pull this directly toward you and away from the bike with a gentle up down wriggle. Try not to twist the body panel too much because the inner plastic part of the panel to which the clip is mounted could easily break, see location of inner clip in image 1.

In the video they make it look easy to remove these panels but I suspect they are already lose before the camera shot is taken. Just be firm but gentle.

Note 3. At 10:46 in the video it demonstrates how to detach and lower the plastic clips holding the rear end off the back of the frame allowing you to fit the Givi parts into the frame tubing, see image 2. I cannot find this back end movement in the written Givi instructions but it is illustrated out of position. You won’t get the Givi bracket to fit the end of frame if you don’t follow how they lower it in the GIVI video. Note. You can get these clips to come off the back end of the frame quite easily even without the ‘Important’ note below.

Important! There is no reference to this in the written instructions or in the video but it will make the reassembly task so much easier. Once you have removed all the panels and parts as per the video next locate a black metal body panel screw on the outside of both sides of the rear mudguard positioned two thirds of the way down toward the swinging arm pivot point. Removing these two screws allows sufficient rearward movement of the whole mudguard assembly so the large black plastic clips go back over the white bar on the tail of the frame when reassembly the bike, as in the video, see image 2 for clips. See image 5 for general location of these two screws once the panels have been removed. If you don’t removed these two lower mudguard screws there is a good chance you will waste an hour or two, possibly hurt yourself, break a few wooden tools and even curse a tad!

Once you have the back pulled down you can gain access to the open ends of the frame and fit the Givi Parts as per the instructions.

Note 4. Losing a Givi attachment down inside the frame.

The frame mounted bracket is held using a bolt and threaded wedge shaped to expand the channelled black tube inside the tail end of the frame, see image 3. This is good except, as in my case and before I got my screwdriver in place, the wedge can come lose during fitting and disappear way down inside the frame forever; Err…! To overcome this there is a small hole in the AT frame to the side and in the video it suggests putting a screw driver in there from the side to stop this happening, see blue arrow in image 4. I suggest stuffing something in the frame such a bit of sponge or bubble wrap before you even attempt to put these things in place. I also suggest lightly tapping the wedge into its housing so it is firm (but not so it expands so much it will not fit into the frame) before putting it into the frame at all. I got around my problem of the lost wedge by filing a larger nut with the same thread into the wedge shape. It did work but it is not ideal.

Note 5. Important! Repositioning the black clips over the tail of the frame.

To repeat myself, you will struggle to reposition the rear end unless you release the black metal body panel screw on the outside of both sides of the rear mudguard positioned two thirds of the way down toward the swinging arm pivot point. Once the rear end black clips are back in place over the white frame then replace the two mudguard screws and continue to reassemble the bike as per the video and or the Givi written instructions.

Because there are so many parts removed from the bike and in fear of losing bits I laid each part out on a large camping table along with the associated screws and fixings. I was pleased when I finished the job there were no parts left on the table that shouldn’t be there (Honda parts replaced with Givi parts) and that’s a first!

Other than these few points above the job went like a dream!

I hope this helps folk in the future.

Cheers
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bp1.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	46563   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.png
Views:	44
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	46565   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	46567   Click image for larger version

Name:	p4.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	46569   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	46571  

VaraderoTwin likes this.

Last edited by NeilNewnham; 01-22-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Unread 01-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Personally it seems like a massive faff to fit the simplest of things. A top box.

When it comes time for me to do this and I do have a particular Givi box in mind, I will buy the SW Motech "Adventure Rack" plus the Givi conversion pack, and use that to hold the box. The rear rack on the 'Sport is rated for 22lbs, which is more than adequate. No need for girders.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Unread 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

It does seem overkill and I won’t be taking it off again, ever! However, I do load the bike up with a large top box and camping gear when touring plus with the grandchildren on the back putting leverage and pressure on the top box I don’t want to take the chance on the 10kg weight limit and strength of the mounts of the standard rack. A couple of hours work for safety and peace of mind was worth it.

I will also be adding the Givi pannier rails and Givi Canyon soft luggage in the summer.

Last edited by NeilNewnham; 01-22-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
Personally it seems like a massive faff to fit the simplest of things. A top box.

When it comes time for me to do this and I do have a particular Givi box in mind, I will buy the SW Motech "Adventure Rack" plus the Givi conversion pack, and use that to hold the box. The rear rack on the 'Sport is rated for 22lbs, which is more than adequate. No need for girders.
Wanted to add a top case to my 2018 ATAS DCT also. I remember years ago mounting GIVI racks and it sounds like the instructions have not changed. ugh!

Did you mount the SW Motech and does that require the plastic, etc. all to come off like the Givi 1161?
Also what adapter plate did you get to mount to the SW?
I wanted to get the Givi Trekker Dolomite top case...... but unsure of the adapter...

Thx.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
Did you mount the SW Motech and does that require the plastic, etc. all to come off like the Givi 1161?
Also what adapter plate did you get to mount to the SW?
I wanted to get the Givi Trekker Dolomite top case...... but unsure of the adapter...

Thx.
I've not done it yet.. but it will be fairly soon.

Nothing (no plastics) has to 'come off' the rack comes in two parts and is fixed directly to the original steel luggage rack on the bike. It comes in two parts: A base that is fitted to the original. and then the rack itself which is bolted to the 'base'. You then add an adapter kit which makes it suitable for the Givi Monolock cases like the Dolomiti.

There are TWO adapter kits for Givi. one of which comes with a 'so called' locking angle. I would contact SW-Motech directly and ask them about this, there is probably a very simple reason one kit has this and the other does not. (my guess is the locking angle adds extra security.. or is perhaps required if you dont have the side racks.)

Below are two screen shots of the fitting instructions for the "Adventure Rack" which are self explanatory.

There is also a photo of the rack fitted to an Adventure Sport.. but ignore the adapter kit as its for another brand of top case (not Givi) and finally a screenshot of the Givi adapter kit with locking angle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	base plate.png
Views:	17
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	48031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.png
Views:	18
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	48033   Click image for larger version

Name:	fitted.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	48035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Givi Adapter kit with locking angle.png
Views:	13
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	48037  

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Last edited by Motobiker; 04-15-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I've not done it yet.. but it will be fairly soon.

Nothing (no plastics) has to 'come off' the rack comes in two parts and is fixed directly to the original steel luggage rack on the bike. It comes in two parts: A base that is fitted to the original. and then the rack itself which is bolted to the 'base'. You then add an adapter kit which makes it suitable for the Givi Monolock cases like the Dolomiti.

There are TWO adapter kits for Givi. one of which comes with a 'so called' locking angle. I would contact SW-Motech directly and ask them about this, there is probably a very simple reason one kit has this and the other does not. (my guess is the locking angle adds extra security.. or is perhaps required if you dont have the side racks.)

Below are two screen shots of the fitting instructions for the "Adventure Rack" which are self explanatory.

There is also a photo of the rack fitted to an Adventure Sport.. but ignore the adapter kit as its for another brand of top case (not Givi) and finally a screenshot of the Givi adapter kit with locking angle.
Thanks for the information. I did review the SW Motech and see it runs ~$176 here in USA and then I need an adapter plate (so assume I need to order 2 items). Below is an example and URL.

SW-MOTECH ADVENTURE-RACK For Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports CRF1000L2 '18-'19
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...s-crf1000l2-18

When ordering the SW, they then have a selection for the top case adapter depending on the brand. There are a few options for the GIVI (I would need the monokey for the Dolomite) for $37.
The GIVI rack system appears more expensive as well (both the 1161 and adapter plate - the latter which is confusing on what to order given all the "M" names they use..... lol).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Quote:
When ordering the SW, they then have a selection for the top case adapter depending on the brand. There are a few options for the GIVI (I would need the monokey for the Dolomite) for $37.
The GIVI rack system appears more expensive as well (both the 1161 and adapter plate - the latter which is confusing on what to order given all the "M" names they use..... lol).
twisted throttle give the answer.. but its subtle and easily missed.

The adapter plate WITHOUT the locking angle is for Givi AND Kappa cases.

The adapter plate WITH the locking angle is for Givi cases only. (and that is the one I will opt for)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Givi adapters.png
Views:	10
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	48049  

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Quote:
twisted throttle give the answer.. but its subtle and easily missed.

The adapter plate WITHOUT the locking angle is for Givi AND Kappa cases.

The adapter plate WITH the locking angle is for Givi cases only. (and that is the one I will opt for)
Thanks. That's what I will opt for also and then all i need is the Dolomite case
When searching for the SW rack it seems only TwistedT has the option for the adapter however...simple to miss on other sites...

Now the decision for silver or black for the case

2018 ATAS DCT

Last edited by desmo907; Yesterday at 09:06 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I will opt for also and then all i need is the Dolomite case
When searching for the SW rack it seems only TwistedT has the option for the adapter however...simple to miss on other sites...

Now the decision for silver or black for the case
I just noticed something else in the twisted throttle clip i posted above. the adapter without the locking angle is for MONOKEY top cases. these are different and generally much smaller cases designed mainly for scooters and smaller bikes. nothing wrong with that if you want a small box. But no good whatsoever for the Dolomiti.

And, I know. its impractical on a few levels, not large enough for a helmet being the main one, but i do rather like the lower profile 30Litre dolomiti.

shown here fitted to the X-ADV with dolomiti side cases,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Givi_Honda_XADV_Dolomiti_Cases_Telaietti_Valigie_Laterali.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	48051  

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I just noticed something else in the twisted throttle clip i posted above. the adapter without the locking angle is for MONOKEY top cases. these are different and generally much smaller cases designed mainly for scooters and smaller bikes. nothing wrong with that if you want a small box. But no good whatsoever for the Dolomiti.

And, I know. its impractical on a few levels, not large enough for a helmet being the main one, but i do rather like the lower profile 30Litre dolomiti.

shown here fitted to the X-ADV with dolomiti side cases,
I'm a bit confused.... the Givi site indicates the monokey for the Dolomiti case...
http://giviusa.com/givi-products/cas...ey-case-detail

2018 ATAS DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in