what does the G-button really do? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

what does the G-button really do?

(This is about the G-Button, not the Gravel mode option on later bikes)
Even on this forum there are opposite points of view. Some posters say it softens the clutch operation (ie provides more slip) others say it provides more direct connection - which presumably means it in effect drops the clutch more quickly.
From press and Honda releases at launch time it says this sort of thing:
"To create a more direct feeling from the throttle to rear wheel pickup, the Africa Twin DCT model has “G” button designed for gravel roads that modifies the control of the clutch system and eliminates the shift lag between gears."
It may be possible to read that quote either way but it's more likely to mean the second scenario - ie a harder clutch action.
And yet today I have been riding round the Pennine roads with the G-button pressed and I could swear it's making the ride smoother in terms of clutch operation - less harsh gear changes both up and down and nicer to drive in slow traffic.
So what do experienced gravel riders need - a softer more gradual clutch operation or the clutch dropping more quickly? (I don't know because I rarely ride off road)
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM

Hey Mike!

I don’t have an answer but I’m going to watch this thread as I have the same question. I don’t even have my ATAS yet - 1.5 weeks away from delivery - so I don’t have any experience to share. When activated, does it hold the gear longer? You don’t up shift with an actual clutch if you’re on a rough patch and turning up a steep hill for example. You keep you RPMs up and maintain the power band.

Bookem
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 PM

On My "17" the G button puts it in a "gravel" mode and does indeed give it "a more direct feeling from the throttle to rear wheel.

In my words it makes it perform more like I would if I were in complete control of the shits and clutch aplication. I notice it staying in gears longer and keeping the revs more in the meat of the power with a more positive feel.

I espically like "G" mode in the twistys on pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Request View Post
On My "17" the G button puts it in a "gravel" mode and does indeed give it "a more direct feeling from the throttle to rear wheel.

In my words it makes it perform more like I would if I were in complete control of the shits and clutch aplication. I notice it staying in gears longer and keeping the revs more in the meat of the power with a more positive feel.

I espically like "G" mode in the twistys on pavement.
I can agree with some of your middle paragraph. (I think). I was riding in D-mode all yesterday and it seemed the G-buttom was causing the lower gears to be hung on to for longer and the bike changed down more than it normally would in D-mode. But hey isn't that just what S-mode does?
However it's the other two statements that seem to contradict each other IMHO. On my manual bike I feel in 'control' when I am slipping the clutch on gravel car parks. I certainly wouldn't feel in control if there was a 'direct' connection between the throttle, engine and rear wheel. That sort of implies that with the throttle set at say 1/3 then 1/3 of the engine power would be going directly to the rear wheel and there would be no way you could moderate that by feathering the clutch.
I'm not criticising your comments particularly Torque Request, as what you are saying is what a lot of people are saying - I just don't understand it.
Mike
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 PM

The G button simply 'lets out' the clutch a lot faster. People say, and I think it comes from the manual, that it provides a more 'direct' feel of power to the back wheel. To relate it to manual bikes though it's nothing more than dropping the clutch fast. It's also how you wheelie a DCT.

For more information listen to the interview with Warren Milner, one of the guys involved in DCT's creation - I have too few posts to be able to embed a link but Google adventureriderradio dct
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by froogle View Post
The G button simply 'lets out' the clutch a lot faster. People say, and I think it comes from the manual, that it provides a more 'direct' feel of power to the back wheel. To relate it to manual bikes though it's nothing more than dropping the clutch fast. It's also how you wheelie a DCT.

For more information listen to the interview with Warren Milner, one of the guys involved in DCT's creation - I have too few posts to be able to embed a link but Google adventureriderradio dct
That's the way I would interpret 'a more direct connection' but is that what riders really want on grave?. I would have though a softer drop of the clutch would prevent wheelspin - unless dirt riders want to be able to get the wheel spinning, which I know they sometimes do
Mike
PS if your definition is correct then the G-button is not what I'm looking for to make town traffic riding smoother
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 AM

Garage
I've used the "G" button not much frequently (Standard AT, MY2018), but my impressions are that, when moving at slow speed (think hairpin turns) with the function activated, the clutch slips a little to maintain the current gear instead of "gearing down". That means a much more soft and gentle driving instead of an harsh gear down to first gear during the turn. This is my experience.
ArqCC likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
G for Gravel Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
That's the way I would interpret 'a more direct connection' but is that what riders really want on grave?. I would have though a softer drop of the clutch would prevent wheelspin - unless dirt riders want to be able to get the wheel spinning, which I know they sometimes do
Mike
PS if your definition is correct then the G-button is not what I'm looking for to make town traffic riding smoother
Your assessment is spot on.
I have been using the G-button on and off the pavement since I first got my AT, three years ago.
After the first few rides off the pavement (on gravel surfaced forest roads and dirt trails),
I felt more in control with the G-button engaged, in S-mode.
The D-mode just does not work well, on slippery surfaces.

IMO, for riding off pavement, you don't need the rear wheel spinning but in many
instances, it can be more fun to spin the rear tire. It is part of riding off-road.

I've read someone compare it to "popping" the clutch which is a fair description but
how close the DCT programming emulates that 'clutch action" is not clearly stated.
I think it comes close, as it is almost too hard to do a DCT wheelie without the G-button engaged.

Honda published an extensive 'test' of the G-button and how it affects riding offroad.
Tech Views — Vol.9 G Switch and Selectable Torque Control
Jarrett, deltabi and jamnut like this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
I've used the "G" button not much frequently (Standard AT, MY2018), but my impressions are that, when moving at slow speed (think hairpin turns) with the function activated, the clutch slips a little to maintain the current gear instead of "gearing down". That means a much more soft and gentle driving instead of an harsh gear down to first gear during the turn. This is my experience.
And my experience is like yours but different. The clutch seems to slip more so that the gear change takes longer and there's more time for the engine revs to adjust, BUT in D-mode it seemed to change gear more often with the G-button depressed than without.
Why can't Honda just publish a more detailed technical description of what they have done instead of leaving it to the marketing and PR department to come up with a very brief ambiguous description. It's exactly the same with the new engine braking modes. On this forum you will find just as many posters who believe that 1 is the harshest engine braking and 3 the least as there are posters who believe it's the other way round.
Mike
deltabi likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Honda Techviews site has more information about this:
https://www.hondarandd.jp/index.php
VOL28 No.2 has a technical summary of most of the bike's features
and their development.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page