Do you think the ATAS is too tall? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasten View Post
Thank all of you for the thoughts. Very helpful and thought provoking.

Little more info..... I don't usually carry a passenger, have done so on the ATAS only a few short rides, with no problem.
In the drop incident, I still can't figure out why we went down. I weigh about 225, passenger about 190. Got her on bike, no prob. Hit gas to go (DCT) and it felt like the brakes were on. Bike moved a few feet and I stopped to try to understand why we did not freely move forward as usual. I am suspicious that the passenger does not fully get how rider needs cooperation in balance, and maybe she got off center somehow. The bike felt extremely heavy and I fought to try to keep it upright, but the sheer weight pulled us right over to the right. There was no brake on, the chain is actually a bit loose from spec, and the pavement was smooth and clean and level. Perhaps, being used to one up riding, I was complacent in not realizing that with a substantial passenger, the bike is going to feel different and require a bit more gas to move..... I think MAYBE could have salvaged the situation, if it was not such a long reach to the ground......
Am going to listen more to any comments, and think about the Hyperpro suggestion to lower bike an inch. The lower seats also sound like an option, altho I really like the standard seat on high, as it makes it easy to slide back for a change of position. (solo)
Thanks again.....
I know you said you didn't't have the brakes on, but did you by any chance have the parking brake applied? I ask because I have done this myself- wondering why the bike felt sluggish only to find I had not released the parking brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM

i fitted a standard seat from a at and now the atas is much better..the standard year 17 seat is edged so that also aids things..i pulled the bars back a smidge /fitted a standard seat and also fitted crf250l footpegs ..far better ..i am 5ft 11
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM

It was for me at 5'9" but I can ride the tallest real dirt bike with no issues but the ATAS was just to heavy and tall.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM

It is. I had two drops from a stand still where I couldn't reach the ground. I installed the Krooztune 30mm lowering kit and had a suspension shop install the destrokers and street tune the suspension. All in put me at about 1000 dollars and the bike is **** near perfect now. I also added a stock AT seat which has a scooped, lower pan with slimmer sides. I can flat foot both feet and still have plenty of clearance, can drop the plate to hit the oil change, and have a night and day difference in riding confidence.

The only bugaboo is the center stand is going to require to be cut as it is too long, but Krooztune includes the center stand weld joints with instructions and an incredible side stand that allows me to park the bike on left declines with no issue.

Essential mod for the parking confidence alone. The bike fell once just from the **** near vertical stock side stand angle. Now it actually leans like it is supposed to.

10/10 would do again. It looks so much better now, too.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I am suspicious that the passenger does not fully get how rider needs cooperation in balance, and maybe she got off center somehow. The bike felt extremely heavy and I fought to try to keep it upright, but the sheer weight pulled us right over to the right...
I think MAYBE could have salvaged the situation, if it was not such a long reach to the ground......
That's *all* it takes, man. I know for a fact that if a heavy rider behind me had a devious spirit and wanted to lean over and bring the bike down there is not a dạmned thing in the world I could do to keep it up. Even with my 36 in. inseam (I just measured recently for some gear, I thought it was shorter because I usually wear 34x34 jeans) and my fairly strong legs, it would be impossible to keep the bike up.

I know this for a fact because, I am ashamed to admit (but I think I've shared before), first day, first hour with the bike, after riding it home and showing my wifeÖ she's taking pictures, I'm all excited. I leave for my first little test ride, but I only get a few hundred yards and think Iíve left my wallet behind, so I turn around and pull back into the driveway. My wife is still there, taking pictures. Iím all keyed upóa smiling happy fool. I go to stand the bike and as itís leaning overÖ and overÖ and overÖ I realize Iíve forgotten the kickstand! It reached the point-of-no-return *so* fast and l learned a lesson in gravity and mass and found out just how fricking (top) heavy the bike really is. I managed to keep it from dropping hard, but it was all I could do.

Iíll never forget, my wifeís face when she went to help me lift the bike. I wasnít thinking straight, was distracted and annoyed with myself and just wanted to right the back ASAP, so instead of using the proper technique to lift it by myself, we both grabbed an end and tried to liftÖ it didnít budge an inch and she looked at me and said, ďHow can it possibly weigh so much!Ē

I calmed down and got the bike up pretty quick, but it was an important lesson. The bike rides so lithely itís easy to forget just how heavy it is.

Ö

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hughes View Post
Most pillions expect that if the bike leans they should lean over with it but in the situation you describe any lean could tip you both off. My wife is a great pillion and we have ridden for many years together. But we had an "off" on our 2016 AT when in the rain I leaned the bike to the right in order to get more ground clearance to lift the side-stand - so my wonderful helped me by leaning the bike over as well. It happened on a gravel riding course - with the entire course watching, after a relaxing lunch (no alcohol), because the side-stand had dug into wet sand when parked. Result - my ego was very bruised, my wife was minimally bruised but totally perplexed as to what had gone wrong, the bike and I were covered in wet sand - and all ended well except for rub marks on the tank from clingy wet sand rubbing off my trousers over the next 2 hours. NB Kept Honda panniers ON to protect her legs and I have Honda "cowl ornament" crash bars.
The big thing is "DON'T MAKE A FUSS ABOUT IT OR SHE WON'T RIDE WITH YOU ANYMORE"
I think it's harder to find a girl that will ride on the back of the bike with you than one that will ride with you so to speak.

Thanks for that last statement, made me laugh!!!
I may have already made too much fuss, she has already said no more riding with me! However, she has since calmed down and says she might be willing again (to ride the bike).....
Thanks for your story, many aspects similar to my drop.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

So much great info and options from all your responses. Really appreciate it. For me, even at 6-2, the altitude of the ATAS is unnecessary. Mostly ride street, and occaisionally get into some dirt and hills, nothing real serious. Have moved the seat to low position, and it really feels more secure at stop signs. Looked at the low seat at a local dealer today, but going try the low seat position for awhile....
gvmumbral likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM

yes... I believe the ATAS is too tall

I'm a lowly 5 ft 10 in with inside leg of about 32 in when i had a test ride i did mention to the dealer about this, they did a lowering kit job on the bike which got some 2 in off the height and its done the job, kept the standard seat the lowered seat just has less foam so a harsher ride, I still don't have a full foot on the ground but nearly.

I've not done a pillion ride out yet, weather has not been suitable, still only have 1600 miles on the bike.... but loving it.

Paul
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So much great info and options from all your responses. Really appreciate it. For me, even at 6-2, the altitude of the ATAS is unnecessary. Mostly ride street, and occaisionally get into some dirt and hills, nothing real serious. Have moved the seat to low position, and it really feels more secure at stop signs. Looked at the low seat at a local dealer today, but going try the low seat position for awhile....
The main reason I went with a stock 2016 seat rather than a low ATAS seat is because it comes in matched blue and still fits the color scheme. It is also significantly more comfortable than the low seat. It lowers you about 1.25" vs the ATAS stock seat. Not the best picture...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 PM

When I test rode the atas it felt top heavy and too tall, Iím 6ft, and although it looks great and is better value for for money than the standard model it just didnít feel right for me so I have ordered the standard one in the new glint blue which I feels much more natural and comfortable for me and will have to fit some heated grips and other bits which is a bit annoying but hopefully will be worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page