Center stand - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 18Likes

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

I have been trying pulling up with my right hand from the pillion handles on the side of the seat and now I realize this is a huge mistake. I will try pulling from the panniers support way below and leave the "cutting" idea for the last resource!!
Thanks for the advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Scorch Dugan;298735]What technique are you using Bob? It can be hard to get the big bike up on the center stand. I find having the front wheel straight in line with the bike and using your right hand on the rear passenger foot
Ggpeg hanger to pull up as your foot presses down on the stand helps a lot. The gradient of the surface you are putting the bike up on is also something you should take into consideration. I wouldn't go cutting the stand, you can't put toothpaste back in the tube!
Great advice, I have been pulling from the wrong places.
I will try from the rear passenger footpeg hanger.
Thanks a Lot!!!
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for a great response, I will try these diferent techniques as adviced.
I have not lowered my bike yet, maybe I will in the future.
I don't know if my center stand is longer than the regular one.
I post a picture to show how high the rear tire is from the ground.
Really apreciate your comments and great advice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190301-224506_1551503287100.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	47477  

Last edited by Africabob; 03-02-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
I fitted a Krooztune lowering link, and as part of it, you have to cut out a section of the centre stand.

I've found it a bit easier to get my AT up on the centre stand now.

You just mark a centre line along the legs. Cut out the required length, insert one slug or tube in each leg, align the centre lines and weld it up.

That's the easy part.

Getting it off the bike was a bit harder.

Getting it back on the bike was much harder.

Pictures etc here:

https://krooztune.store/shop/adventu...-lowering-kit/
Interesting!!!
Will keep it in mind if I decide to cut the center stand.
Thank you!!
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Familiarising myself with the new AT I collected yesterday, I really struggled to get it onto the main stand. When I did manage to get it on, the clearance between the rear tyre and ground seemed quite high to me. Reading the posts about technique and trying again today, I realise that I have been trying to lift the bike onto the stand, rather than putting my weight onto the stand lug and pushing it down. The forum advice and practice has been a light bulb moment for me. I now find it easy to put the AT onto the centre stand.

Yesterday I decided never to use the stand and today, thanks to the forum members, it is a piece of cake. If you're struggling, don't give up.

Thanks to all of you who helped me stand and deliver!
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 PM

make sure that your parking brake is not on when you do this.
deltabi likes this.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Hey Guys,

Made a quick video showing how easy it is to get my 2018 ATAS on the OEM center stand.

I'm in practice mode with this GoPro I now have, so bear with me. Testing everything out: lighting, sound, staging, editing; the smartphone GoPro app; getting the video from the GoPro to the computer and then to YouTube. Getting some practice time in so Iím prepared for riding videos whenever the VA weather finally decides to cooperateóman, we are looking at more ice/snow over the next two weeks!

But I figured Iíd do it 1) for more video experience and 2) to show what I mean by how easy it is to use the OEM center stand on my ATAS.

In the video I state the bikeís weight as 530 lbs. But my bike in its current state and with the full tank weighs closer to 600 lbs. (533 lbs. stock weight + 40 lbs. of fuel (full tank) + Hepco & Becker Lowers and Handlebar protection + Touratech pannier rack = about 595 lbs.).

Hope this helps some. But the basics on any motorcycle with a center stand is WEIGHT on the center stand foot pad and pulling UP (not back). Itís all technique and once you have it down, itís a cinch from there.

But with my bike, as you can see, she comes up nearly on her own with all my weight on the standís footpad. I weigh 200lbs. So, if you weigh less, some upward pull might be required, but not much. If you weigh more, you can probably get the bike up with absolutely zero upward pull. The stand really does all the work for you when youíre using it right. And this OEM stand on this 2018 ATAS seems perfectly designed and balanced.

Thanks for putting up with my videos. Probably more to come as I work out the kinks. Iím going to re-do the walk-around video I posted a few days ago and have that up in a few days.

Gary

Link to YouTube video: https://youtu.be/BN6qsfKg7wk

dascooter, JimInOz and Bookem like this.

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Great video Gary, thanks for sharing, it will help a lot to refine the technique to place the AT up in its center stand.
Now that I can apreciate your rear tire clearence with the floor, I wonder if there are diferent sizes of OEM center stands because, mine, as you can see in the picture I post, my tire clearence is a lot higher!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190301-224506_1551585938424.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	47513  
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:58 AM

Is it possible that you have a stand for the Adventure Sport and yours is the non Sports bike. I presume the stand on the Adventure Sports is bigger ?
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
Is it possible that you have a stand for the Adventure Sport and yours is the non Sports bike. I presume the stand on the Adventure Sports is bigger ?
they have different part numbers so this is reasonable.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page