Center stand - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 18Likes

post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:01 AM

Garyh's video is very good and hits the nail on the head.

Before watching it, it seemed to me that pushing down on the stand is actually levering the bike up and onto the stand. I think here is something in the design of the large lever on the stand that provides the mechanical advantage to lift and put the bike onto the stand. I find this much easier that trying to lift the weight of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Gary’s video is very good.

Pushing down with your foot on the center stand is key. On my old KLR I always imagined I was just taking a step up, just like on a fight of stairs, put all my weight on my right foot, put left hand on the handle bar to keep it straight and my right on the luggage rack and just stepped up. Granted the KLR is ~100 lbs lighter.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 AM

Some clever bloke once said - 'for every action there is an equal opposite reaction'
If you are a light weight your weight on the stand lever is likely to be insufficient to raise the bike. However whatever pull you exert on the upper part of the bike reacts against the stand and its as though you have gained weight. Of course this only works if you are balancing on one leg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Great video, Gary. I know I am still struggling getting my bike up on the stand. Going to check what BigKev mentioned about maybe having the wrong oem center stand. I could pop my BMW up on the stand much easier than my Africa Twin. I weigh almost 200lbs and put all my weight on that stand while pulling up from pillion for rest. Always feels like the bike is going to fall over the other side and as I try to get it up on the stand. Once I do, the bike is twisted sideways a bit. I'll have to practice a bit more but still seems harder than it should be and would love to find out they put the wrong stand on it and it isn't me
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanks guys. Hoped it would help some.

Yep... It's a pretty well designed lever.

I'm not sure how high the standard model bikes are supposed to sit on the stand. But at least three people now have said the rear wheel on their standard bikes is about 3 inches off the ground.

Maybe the ATAS sits lower on its stand?

Maybe the ATAS is a bit easier to get up on the stand than the standard models?

Thanks, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:50 PM

My 2017 AT DCT is lowered, Soupy's adjustable link. So, I had to shorten the center stand.
Took 1.5 inch out of the vertical tubes, re-weld with inner sleeves.

Initially, raising onto the stand was hard and barely controlled because I am too old, weak and lightweight.

Solution was to carry a short strap in my tank bag which loops around the lower crash bar,
allowing a good rearwards pull with my left hand while balancing the bike with my right hand
and pushing down with my right foot.
Yes, straight bars are essential.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Now I am pretty sure I got a longer center stand from the ATAS. I will call my dealer and ask, maybe I can change it for a shorter one.
On the other side, I wonder about ghorgan "technique" using a strap rolled to the lower crash bar. I will apreciate a vídeo or some pictures as I have the same "characteristics" old,weak and light!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190303_162519690_1551653466526.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	47517  

Last edited by Africabob; 03-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascooter View Post
Great video, Gary. I know I am still struggling getting my bike up on the stand. Going to check what BigKev mentioned about maybe having the wrong oem center stand. I could pop my BMW up on the stand much easier than my Africa Twin. I weigh almost 200lbs and put all my weight on that stand while pulling up from pillion for rest. Always feels like the bike is going to fall over the other side and as I try to get it up on the stand. Once I do, the bike is twisted sideways a bit. I'll have to practice a bit more but still seems harder than it should be and would love to find out they put the wrong stand on it and it isn't me
Try pulling back instead of up while you'll pushing down on the centre stand with your left foot, made all the difference for me putting my bike up on the centre stand & Im only 175lbs
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:15 AM

My ATAS rear wheel is one inch off the floor on centre stand. Conti Trail attack 2 tyres and alpina wheels
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 AM

I weigh 180lbs so i tried the foot only technique last night. No way was the bike even close to coming up. I'm ok with getting it on to the stand but I do have to use quite a lot of upward force on the pannier prong. So much so that I have to wear a glove or it hurts my hand a lot.
Maybe they are different stands (mine's a 2017 standard AT by the way)
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page