Center stand - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 18Likes

post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africabob View Post
I have tried all techniques suggested and still can't lift my AT on it's center stand.
Now I am considering seriously to cut a couple of inches from the lower part of the stand.
Try running the back wheel up onto a piece of wood about 1inch deep to start with and see if that makes it easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
I measured my departing 2017 model that had trailsmart tyres and surprisingly found it was only 31mm (it looked more). I will check later what the 2018 fitted with Bridgestone measures. It seems about the same amount of effort to put it on the stand. Interestingly though it seems to me that the kick pad is more tangled up with the pillion peg mount than it was on the 2017 model.
Mike
measured my new 2018 model and it's 22mm to the bottom of the tyre. That could be explained a bit by the wear on the Dunlop or perhaps a different profile. Interestingly the speedo on the new bike is only 5.76% over-reading () whereas the older one was 9%. That could be due to different tyre circumference?
Mike
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Quote:
I have tried all techniques suggested and still can't lift my AT on it's center stand.
Now I am considering seriously to cut a couple of inches from the lower part of the stand.
Do that by all means, but make sure you cut the right amount.

Get the bike up on the centre stand and then use a guide (long length of alloy tube/straight edge/chalky string/laser level) to run a line from your front wheel contact point to just past your back wheel edge where it is above the ground, mark a line on the centre stand.

Then lower your measurer thing until it's a bit lower, but not too much, say about 30mm above the ground, and mark the stand again.

That should give you an idea of how much to cut out. I think two inches would keep your back wheel on the ground so doing the measuring before you cut saves heartache.

Note that the shorter stand makes it slightly more difficult to get your foot on it as the shorter length moves the kick pad forward under the pillion pegs, but it's not a big problem.
Thanks a lot Jiminioz, I will take your advice in consideration before any cuting is done!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTwin View Post
Quote:
Try running the back wheel up onto a piece of wood about 1inch deep to start with and see if that makes it easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well this is a great idea!!!
I will use a piece of wood to lift the bike from the rear wheel and will try to get it from there to center stand it to see if I notice any diference in the effort required. This will show, somehow, if it makes any sense to cut the stand.
Bookem likes this.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:31 AM

Just measured up my shortened centre stand.

From the floor to the centre of the pivot tube is a fraction less than 12"

This shot of the stand from the side, the gap between the web on the tube and the bumper mount is 23mm.

With my Krooztune 50mm lowering link, my back wheel is 45mm above the ground.

I definitely find it easier to lift now, I stand my full 73kg on the horn while lifting up with the rear passenger grab handle.

Note, my bike is a 2017 AT with standard centre stand (OEM fitted as per Australian regs) and a Kroozetune 50mm lowering kit installed.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Just measured up my shortened centre stand.

From the floor to the centre of the pivot tube is a fraction less than 12"

This shot of the stand from the side, the gap between the web on the tube and the bumper mount is 23mm.

With my Krooztune 50mm lowering link, my back wheel is 45mm above the ground.

I definitely find it easier to lift now, I stand my full 73kg on the horn while lifting up with the rear passenger grab handle.

Note, my bike is a 2017 AT with standard centre stand (OEM fitted as per Australian regs) and a Kroozetune 50mm lowering kit installed.
Thank you for sharing these pictures JiminOz.
Great explanation of what happens with a shorter stand and is a proven fact that this job of shortening the stand, makes it easier to lift the bike in the center stand.
These are good news!!!

Last edited by Africabob; 03-18-2019 at 12:39 AM.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 AM

It's all in your head. It just takes someone to show you the proper technique and plenty of practice.

Seriously, it's all in your weight/foot pressure.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
It's all in your head. It just takes someone to show you the proper technique and plenty of practice.

Seriously, it's all in your weight/foot pressure.
I think that’s only half the story. It’s a matter of timing of using your body weight through the foot but timing the upward backward pull with your hand exactly at the right time
Mike
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:57 AM

I added an “UpStand” centerstand I bought off of Amazon and I couldn’t be happier. 😁
Paid $152 USD-

I have a 2018 AT AS with manual transmission and the install went smooth- maybe half an hour. Now with several hundred miles with it on the bike & riding off road past 3 days (sand) = it works flawlessly.
Added Shinko knobby tires this week, & did some chain maintenance. The stand is made in Romania 🇷🇴 and has the TUV certification.
Makes a huge difference for me in having it on the bike. They seem to now be sold out but might available elsewhere, highly recommended.
Very tough durable centerstand, quality made.

2018 Africa Twin Adv Sports 30th Anniversary Edition 😁

Freedom is not free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page