stqndard 17 and 18 models back to back review - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Ewen Whelan
  • 1 Post By hondamxracer

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

stqndard 17 and 18 models back to back review

Just been out on my new 2018 model and was out on my '17 yesterday so thought I would write some notes about the differences before the new on becomes 'old hat' for me.
  • I seem to have hit lucky because this new one seems to be much nicer in slow traffic - which is a bit of a pain as I have already paid an extra £70 on my insurance in anticipation of fitting a powercommander
  • The changes to the engine make a real difference to me. There is a surging urgency that was lacking in the 17 model. Or rather it wasn;t lacking it's just that you had to work hard to find it - I had to use the sportiest mode wind the throttle round and maybe drop a DCT gear too. On the new one it just surges forwards whether you are in D-mode or any of the S-modes. And if you use one of the ngine modes that puts the power delivery as mode1, blimey it surges away like a sportsbike. This is a major difference in the engine characteristic to me and worth changing bikes just for this ... however, there's another plus
  • I can today feel a notiecable difference in engine braking between this model and the one that's gone. I like zero engine braking and by dialling in level 3 on the engine braking (which is oddly the least), it makes the whole ride more relaxing. Instant surge there on power1 setting and very little head rocking engine braking when you close the throttle. Ideal for me and that's how I have set up the User mode.
  • The suspension seems 'harder' at the front. By this I mean the spring seems stiffer. Honda have not said that they changed this parameter when they changed the forks to the bronze rather than gold, and according to another post today, they didn;t take the opportunity of improving the internal coating on the forks of the standard model, so maybe it's my imagination and they have left the spring the same. It is also possible I suppose that my old springs were 'tired' - seems unlikely though at 24k miles and never worked particularly hard. The symptom is slightly more thump over potholes, but it's still OK and I think I will soon get used to the new forks.
  • The heated grips are still working. Glory be. And I decided to give the OEM's another try because they don't interfere with operation of the downpaddle or the indicators which was the case with the Kosos eventually fitted to my last bike. Surprisingly this little grievance became extremely annoying.
  • The self cancelling indicators seem to be more intelligent than people on here are giving them credit for. The timing they use seems to be dependent on at least two types of sensors - whether you are stopped (they don;t switch off) or whether you are only going in a straight line - they stay on for a very short time)
  • Just like my last one - the bike has come with slightly twisted forks, but unlike every other poster on here, mine are twisted slightly anti-clockwise.
  • The engine casings are shyte. I did ask the dealer to find me a good one but he couldn't and I took another look at all 7 of the AT's in Newcastle's shop and they were all poor. I could demand new casings but as discussed on here - do I really want some dealer's techie stripping my bike down to that level.
Will post more if I think of anything tonight.
Mike

Last edited by mike5100; 03-13-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:39 AM

great comparison ..

ill add that if your rich enough to have both models ... i have adoption papers ready filled out awaiting your signature..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Whelan View Post
great comparison ..

ill add that if your rich enough to have both models ... i have adoption papers ready filled out awaiting your signature..
Haha - I see what you mean Ewen when I re-read my first line. For the record the 2017 with 24k miles was swapped for a new 2018 yesterday. The process was completely painless with Hunts Motorcycles who agreed a price for mine by email, gave me a great price on the new one and it was delivered on time with all accessories fitted for free. My local dealer is disappointed that they couldn't find the right bike for me, but is happy to take on the service and warranty work.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

As you may have seen from another post - there is a difference under the seat. The neat U-lock locating point has been deliberately blocked off. Some of it is still there and I may have a go at bodging it, as it's an idea place for the lock on the rare times that you want to fasten it to a railing (outside a shopping mall for instance).
I wonder if Honda has had some warrnty claims with the ulock breaking things under there perhaps when people have gone off-road.
Mike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 PM

Posted this in another thread but no response, so I'll try here. I can buy a 17 discounted to $9,700 US (MSRP 13,299) or the 18 with a few upgrades at $10,900 (MRSP 13,499)? Are the upgrades noted below worth the extra $1000?

Upgrades to include:
New instrument panel
Throttle by wire
Three riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel)
Minor intake and exhaust changes
Lighter balancer shafts
Lithium-ion battery
Seven levels of HSTC (traction control)
Wider footpegs with steel brackets
Redesigned passenger pegs
Redesigned LED turn signals
Self Cancelling turn signals
Stainless Spokes
Coated Fork Tubes
New exhaust
gvmumbral likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamxracer View Post
Posted this in another thread but no response, so I'll try here. I can buy a 17 discounted to $9,700 US (MSRP 13,299) or the 18 with a few upgrades at $10,900 (MRSP 13,499)? Are the upgrades noted below worth the extra $1000?

Upgrades to include:
New instrument panel
Throttle by wire
Three riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel)
Minor intake and exhaust changes
Lighter balancer shafts
Lithium-ion battery
Seven levels of HSTC (traction control)
Wider footpegs with steel brackets
Redesigned passenger pegs
Redesigned LED turn signals
Self Cancelling turn signals
Stainless Spokes
Coated Fork Tubes
New exhaust
go for the '18.

cheers!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

I will add more thoughts so far into your text below:
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamxracer View Post
Are the upgrades noted below worth the extra $1000? - Yes

Upgrades to include:
New instrument panel - It's growing on me and at least it doesn't reflect the gold handlebars
Throttle by wire - I think this is giving a more instantaneous response and so far feels good
Three riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel) - 4 actually and I have set User up and it feels brilliant
Minor intake and exhaust changes - if this is what is giving the improved mid range response then it's excellent
Lighter balancer shafts - engine feels a bit smoother but might be psychological
Lithium-ion battery - just seems expensive to me if it goes wrong. Gives a great churning start though
Seven levels of HSTC (traction control) - not relevant to me - i run with max torque control all the time
Wider footpegs with steel brackets - Yes - i will probably sell the pivot pegs I had on the last bike, but the quality of manufacture of the new OEM ones looks poor and looks like they will corrode
Redesigned passenger pegs - not relevant to me
Redesigned LED turn signals - I think they have always been like this in the UK
Self Cancelling turn signals - Yes I like them
Stainless Spokes - definitely worth it but Honda will replace them on a 2017 bike
Coated Fork Tubes - hope you are right but another thread says these are only on the Sport model
New exhaust - Yes noticeably different (and nicer)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page