Adventure sport wheel rim corrosion..? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Adventure sport wheel rim corrosion..?

Hi all, just wondering how people have gone on with the gold wheel corrosion. My Adventure sport is 10 months old, I've done 7k miles and been all, over europe last summer in the heat wave. The bike got tucked up into hibernation back at the end of November, cleaned, dried and ACF'd. It was at this point that i noticed the black spots mainly on the brake side of the rear rim, thinking it was oil from the chain I tried to clean it off and realised it was actually corrosion. I did a little on line re-search and am under the impression that it is caused by Iron particles in the pads reacting with the gold on the rims. The bike has now awoken from its hibernation and I've took it to my main dealer for its service prior to hopefully another great years touring. I decided while I was there to initiate a warranty claim on the condition of my rims. Now this is where it gets a little tricky, the dealer is under the impression that he believes Honda are replacing rims that have been corroded by the steel spokes, and not for what I believed to be the issue with them. My bike was one of the first Adventure sports, and I have since read that the alluminium spokes were not introduced until June 2018...is this correct..? does my bike have steel spokes...?, and has anybody sucessfuly claimed on warranty for corrosion to the actual rims..? The bike itself is fantastic, but when ever I look down at that lovely little sticker "30 years anniversary Edition" I can't help but think that there will be bikes 30 years old with better condition wheels than mine...I am currently awaiting to see what Honda say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 AM

Surely a magnet will tell you which spokes are fitted on your bike ?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Surely they have never fitted aluminium spokes. The stainless steel were fitted from the 2018 ata and standard models onwards. Prior to that Honda had tried single plated then supposedly double plated mild steel spokes
I am convinced the black star like corrosion in the gold rims is caused by iron particles but apparently these come from the discs rather than the pads. Ebc make an organic pad that MIGHT produce less iron particles from the disc but my dealer couldn’t source any to fit the AT back brake (which seems to be more of a problem than the front )
The only solution I can think of is to constantly wax the rear rim but that doesn’t help those who have already got the corrosion
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so an update. Apparently my adventure sport is fitted with stainless spokes. Honda have refused my warranty claim and said that the corrosion is condusive to salt corrosion. They can tell all this from a picture on a mobile phone apparently. The fact that 90% or the gold paint degredation is on the one side of the rear rim that the disc is situated on is irrelevant. The fact that the front wheel is undamaged is irrelevant. The fact that the bike has been garaged since October, cleaned, dried, and stored under cover in a heated garage, is irrelevant. 13.5K, 10 months old, "The Adventure Begins Here"...irrelevant....yes I'm angry....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Turkhud View Post
Ok, so an update. Apparently my adventure sport is fitted with stainless spokes. Honda have refused my warranty claim and said that the corrosion is condusive to salt corrosion. They can tell all this from a picture on a mobile phone apparently. The fact that 90% or the gold paint degredation is on the one side of the rear rim that the disc is situated on is irrelevant. The fact that the front wheel is undamaged is irrelevant. The fact that the bike has been garaged since October, cleaned, dried, and stored under cover in a heated garage, is irrelevant. 13.5K, 10 months old, "The Adventure Begins Here"...irrelevant....yes I'm angry....

So, what's the next step?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:58 AM

I think the chances of Honda replacing wheels (again) this time for black star gold rim corrosion are about nil. The difference IMHO is that no matter how often an owner cleaned the spokes the mild steel ones corroded. But if the owner were to clean the rims after every ride it would (I suspect) remove the iron particles that cause the problem. It is possible that even this regime would not work if somehow the particles are red hot and instantly bonding and damaging the anodising, but I haven't seen evidence that this is how the star corrosion is caused.
By the way - the same corrosion must be present on the black wheels but owners may not have noticed it.
One route that MIGHT hold sway with Honda is if no people who have fitted Alpina wheels have experienced the black star corrosion (I'm presuming the Alpina wheels are gold anodised).
Mike
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:09 AM

Does anyone know anything about this product which might help (might also be useful around the frame at the front of the engine?
https://www.everbritecoatings.com/wheels.html
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

I've dropped on a new back wheel for 225 quid, so to be honest I am happy at that and really can't be bothered to chase Honda up. The main reason I had concerns was when it comes to a trade in for a new bike, then the wheel condition would reduce the value quite substantially. Because I now have a new back wheel, I can continue to use the one that is on it, and transfer to the new one when I come around to a trade in. I was going to buy a CRF450 this year, but the way Honda customer services have been with this issue, then thats a no go now. I will probably do what most 52 year olds do.....use it this summer and go visit the BMW dealer over winter.....I'll just give the 1250 a little while to settle in and see if there are any problems. It's quite sad really because Honda have always been synonymous with quality, and I feel really let down by this issue. My CB1000 and CBR600 were fantastic bikes, you could abuse them all year in any weather and just wipe them clean, now on an adventure bike.....it rots...! There is no chance these will last 30 years like some of the first....unless of course you keep it in a vacum bag and don't use it, and god help you if you live near the sea.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 AM

Well I live near the sea David and ride through all the british winters. I don't clean my bike as often as I should but I'm reasonably happy with what Honda are providing. I know now which are the vulnerable bits and can take measures to protect them. And I don't see any bike manufacturer currently using components that will withstand the UK winter - particularly BMW. They may have done in the distant past, but so did Honda. My somewhat imperfect knowledge of BMW's is that the forks and front disk clutter is prone to corrosion. The AT is brilliant in these areas and I haven't even had to apply any special measures.
The Triumph Rocket was a nightmare for Triumph with spider-like corrosion under the clear coat they applied to the wheels. It was such a huge issue under warranty that Triumph decided to provide completely bare alloy wheels which are impossible to keep corrosion free, so owners often take them off and get them powder coated. That why I'm interested to know if anyone has tried that product I mention above.
Mike
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Hey Mike,
I have an ‘18 ATAS and I live in Brooklyn NY where salt damage will be BRUTAL whether or not I garage for the winter. Can you please share some of your methods for protecting your vulnerable bits? I try to wash every week with S100 and spray it all down with Honda spray polish and cleaner which is like lemon pledge basically. I’ve only noticed corrosion on the frame- one are where it’s chipped from my boot and also on the punched VIN numbers. Cheers and happy riding!
Jesse

2018 ATAS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page