Congrats to Utah, now lane splitting/filtering is complete legal. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Guri
  • 1 Post By Guri

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Congrats to Utah, now lane splitting/filtering is complete legal.

Congratulations to Utah for being the second state in the US to make a law where the lane splitting/filtering is complete legal.
This is a big deal for riders here in the US.

More information here: https://dpsnews.utah.gov/utahs-new-lane-filtering-law/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Good to have a source of good news here from a State legislature perspective. Last year we dropped from .08 to .05 percent legal alcohol limit, making Utah the lowest in the nation. One stiff drink and you are at risk. Local saying these days: Come to Utah on vacation, leave Utah on probation.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Wish more states would wise up. Few things work stuck in either Houston or Miami traffic in the summer and you can't lane split to get through a little faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 AM

Good news but they have made the rules very restrictive, not like in California: new Utah rules are actually lane filtering as it is only permitted in stationary traffic on a road posted at no higher than 45mph (72km/h) and at a maximum speed of 15mph (24km/h).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
Good news but they have made the rules very restrictive, not like in California: new Utah rules are actually lane filtering as it is only permitted in stationary traffic on a road posted at no higher than 45mph (72km/h) and at a maximum speed of 15mph (24km/h).
Well, but is something... I hope others states follow that... I live in LA and I LOVE to ride my motorcycle.
gvmumbral likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 PM

Ok, folks, for what it is worth, there is no lane splitting law for or against in California. California code is such that if it is not specifically prohibited in statute, it is tolerated/permitted/not-illegal/whatever. The CHP has written some guidelines for if you do this here are the best practices, but if an accident occurs, it is the splitter that gets the ticket (assuming they are alive). Most other states, Oregon included, have a structure to their laws that if it is not specifically permitted in statute, then it is prohibited. I know it may seem like splitting hairs (no pun intended), but if you go to your respective state legislatures asking for splitting/filtering and say "it is legal in CA, you might get embarrassed, as the reality is that it is "not illegal". Speaking from spending 9 years on the Oregon Governor's Advisory Committee on Motorcycle Safety.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:03 AM

I guess I should have added, this makes Utah the 1st state in the nation to pass a law that makes splitting/filtering legal.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM

loads of filtering in the uk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFMoore View Post
Ok, folks, for what it is worth, there is no lane splitting law for or against in California. California code is such that if it is not specifically prohibited in statute, it is tolerated/permitted/not-illegal/whatever. The CHP has written some guidelines for if you do this here are the best practices, but if an accident occurs, it is the splitter that gets the ticket (assuming they are alive). Most other states, Oregon included, have a structure to their laws that if it is not specifically permitted in statute, then it is prohibited. I know it may seem like splitting hairs (no pun intended), but if you go to your respective state legislatures asking for splitting/filtering and say "it is legal in CA, you might get embarrassed, as the reality is that it is "not illegal". Speaking from spending 9 years on the Oregon Governor's Advisory Committee on Motorcycle Safety.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I just read somewhere that California has lately specifically authorized filtering as legal. Not just tolerated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page