Load bearing capacity advebture sports - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Load bearing capacity advebture sports

Hi all, I cant seem to find any information on what load the adventure sports can handle... does anyone have that info to share?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 AM

195Kg, including driver, passenger, accessories and luggage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	48079  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
195Kg, including driver, passenger, accessories and luggage.
The suspension with stock springs will be near fully collapsed with that weight.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
The suspension with stock springs will be near fully collapsed with that weight.
That's got to be so true.

I have my ATAS rear preload set to 24 clicks up for proper rear sag for my weight plus add-ons (rider weight in gear + lower crash bars + panniers (empty) and rack + handlebar guards + center stand).

Max preload is around 35, manual says. That leaves me just 11 more clicks up for a passenger.

With my 110 lb. wife on back, maybe, just maybe, we get close to proper sag with preload maxed out. But I doubt it and that would be with empty panns. Packed up for a trip? Shee-ite!

Has anyone gone 2-up and loaded on a Twin for days? Your experiences? I can't imagine the bike isn't riding real low at the back.

BTW - My US manual shows 397 lbs (180 kg) max weight for the ATAS. For the CRF1000A/D it shows 437 lbs. (198 kg). What gives?

Gary

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190419_132804.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	48087  

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
BTW - My US manual shows 397 lbs (180 kg) max weight for the ATAS. For the CRF1000A/D it shows 437 lbs. (198 kg). What gives?
Gary...
The ATAS is heavier. Gross Vehicle weight should be the same for both. GVW - Bike weight = load capacity
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
The ATAS is heavier. Gross Vehicle weight should be the same for both. GVW - Bike weight = load capacity
Right, but Petros' manual also shows the ATAS. (And the standard). And his numbers are higher.

Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 PM

Regarding the weight allowance; to me it does not make any sense this difference.

If the difference in between the normal AT and the ATAS is due to the extra weight of the ATAS (which is just 10Kg) then there should be a difference in max loading in between the Manual and the DCT model for both version, because there is a 10kg diff in between Manual and DCT anyway.

Regarding the fact that the US models have lower allowed loading capacity the the EU: it must be US legalisation maybe that allow less load? I really do not know.

Regarding the question for 2-up, full load travelling:

I weight 94kg, my wife is 54kg; this is 148kg. I have accessories that must be exceeding 10kg: Center stand, top case rack, full Outback crash bars. So I am at 158-160kg .... our gear must be another +10kg (helmets, winter jackets, pants, boots etc).

So, without any panniers and luggage yet, we have reached 170kg easily.

3 cases must be around 13kg alright. Each Honda side case is some 4kg and my top case is the Givi Maxia 4 which must be close to 5+ kg.

Up to now, we are at a total of 183 kg.

Well, I have never weighted our actual luggage, but I would say that it could be close to 15kg, depending the travel duration.

How the bikes handles? if you go at a logical pace while on b-roads with tight turns, there is no issue. If you push it, or if the road has bumps, then the bike is not that happy. All those with FULL preload setting. BUT I have not yet start playing with the rest adjustments; I guess that the compression dampening setting should also play a role.

I would say that upgrade is something to seriously consider, BUT, I try to avoid it because I do not want to ruin the comfort of the OEM suspension....

Last edited by Petros Galiatsis; 04-20-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the info, Petros. So, if I'm reading right, you find it manageable even loaded up a few kg over the "EU Max Weight Limit." Good to know. (And that's a full 18 kg (40 lbs.) over the "US Weight Limit)."

From what I've seen re. specs for max weight capacity on other Adventure Bikes, it appears the Adventure Sports is a bit on the low side, but I don't think any of them are designed for 2-up riding in the style of "The Long Way Round." For shorter trips, it's doable. But these bikes are more than capable of handling one rider, geared to reasonable max, for long, long rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I would say that upgrade is something to seriously consider, BUT, I try to avoid it because I do not want to ruin the comfort of the OEM suspension....
Here, I agree 100%. I too find the OEM suspension just fine. It's a very comfortable bike to ride--can go for hours. Maybe it's an age thing, but I like it a bit on the soft side. And riding around town, in 2nd or 3rd, it feels to me, for all the world, like I'm riding a big Harley sometimes. *Plenty* of low-end torque and power and with that parallel twin with its 270 deg. crank, it even sort of mimics the sound and feel a bit--but in a nice subtle (and not so loud) way.

It is odd that the EU bikes are rated for more weight. Maybe it is just a "legal" thing. What else could it be?

I don't do a lot of 2-up riding - so far. Nor do I carry a lot of weight. I haven't done a very long trip yet. So I am far from an expert; but if I were to gear up heavy or go for a multi-day 2-up trip, I think I'd adjust the front spring preload up too, even if I left everything else alone (compression/ rebound damping). For my current riding, I have yet to do anything but adjust my rear preload to set it for proper sag--and I find the bike handles very well thus--but again, not a lot of 2-up or heavy gear riding for me yet.

Ride Safe, Gary

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:42 AM

I'm 68kg in gaunch. Bike has SWM crash bars, bash plate and alu rack, touratech panier racks.
Even with sag seat properly (+16 clicks on rear) I nearly bottom the stock suspension jumping over some 4" landscape ties.
Definitely the bike needs heavier springs for 2-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PRS2018 - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	48105   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS2018 - 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	48107  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page