DCT confusion? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By skimmer
  • 2 Post By Motobiker
  • 1 Post By DCTFAN
  • 2 Post By Rdy2retire

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

DCT confusion?

When I read all the threads posted by DCT owners it makes me wonder how many are confused by the myriad of settings available and do they have enough riding time in their life to discern the most advantageous setting for each scenario they'll likely come across during their ownership.
Spoke to some I've met that don't visit forums and they tend to use the same settings for everything here in the UK.
On my manual I ride TC and rear ABS off in the dry and TC set at 1 and ABS on in the wet.
No disrespect to DCT owners particularly those with 7 TC settings but I would imagine it's a bit of a puzzle to more than a few if they're honest.
This thread could be "tin hat" time for me and popcorn for some but I wonder how many are often left scratching their heads.
PTwin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM

No confusion for me in the last 3 years, I just get on and ride it, occasionally pop into manual when 2 up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 AM

I think to better understand the responses, the model years matter. Early ones there were 3 levels and starting from 2018 there are 7. My ATAS DCT is a 2018 with 7 levels and off.

While it may seem like overkill I'll take the finer granularity and I'll explain why. First it is better to have it than not need it an the reverse. Secondly lets look at a possible scenario. Maybe the 3 you previously had were reasonably good for you. Then you slap on a new type of tires, let's say more dirt oriented or street oriented. That is one area the finer control could be nice.

Let's say you are off road and you used to ride in a lot of sand and now are in a lot of dirt. It would be nice to have the option to fine tune what you want. Personally I use the User setting and setup my most common settings in it.

I have played with them a bit on the street and not so much on the dirt. If dry I leave it in 1 or 2 and wet I am normally in 3 or 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
When I read all the threads posted by DCT owners it makes me wonder how many are confused by the myriad of settings available and do they have enough riding time in their life to discern the most advantageous setting for each scenario they'll likely come across during their ownership.
Spoke to some I've met that don't visit forums and they tend to use the same settings for everything here in the UK.
On my manual I ride TC and rear ABS off in the dry and TC set at 1 and ABS on in the wet.
No disrespect to DCT owners particularly those with 7 TC settings but I would imagine it's a bit of a puzzle to more than a few if they're honest.
This thread could be "tin hat" time for me and popcorn for some but I wonder how many are often left scratching their heads.

Is this thread about DCT or the Torque Control/ABS?

As it is titled.. "DCT Confusion", then I'll concentrate on that as TC/ABS is a distraction and has nothing to do with the DCT. Almost seems like you are confusing the two.. as if they are somehow linked. They are not.

There is no "myriad of settings available" for the DCT.

Manual.

Automatic.

For Automatic, there is either D mode which is the standard and is almost entirely about fuel economy, moving up the gears as fast as possible.

Or S mode. which has 3 levels and is all about when the gear box shifts in the rev range, about acceleration.

If you think the gear box has changed up too early.. then a simple movement of the left hand thumb drops a gear.

Its so simple.. even an uneducated dullard like me can understand it.

Very briefly on the subject of TC. which seems to be what this thread is actually about.

The bike has various default settings for that particular function and I have had zero need to touch them. I am unaware of a single instance since buying the bike in November of the TC actually engaging. Not once. Similarly the ABS. if either ever do engage.. then i will most likely be grateful. (as will my No Claims Bonus)

I can see the utility of 7 levels for highly skilled off road riders. but for the rest of us. especially those who do not go off road (Tarmac or unpaved) There is unlikely to be any need whatsoever to touch the defaults.

If you do choose to alter them.. then thats simple too. The owners manual is not a complicated read.
mike5100 and gvmumbral like this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Last edited by Motobiker; 04-19-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post

Very briefly on the subject of TC. which seems to be what this thread is actually about.

The bike has various default settings for that particular function and I have had zero need to touch them. I am unaware of a single instance since buying the bike in November of the TC actually engaging. Not once. Similarly the ABS. if either ever do engage.. then i will most likely be grateful. (as will my No Claims Bonus)

I can see the utility of 7 levels for highly skilled off road riders. but for the rest of us. especially those who do not go off road (Tarmac or unpaved) There is unlikely to be any need whatsoever to touch the defaults.

If you do choose to alter them.. then thats simple too. The owners manual is not a complicated read.
My experience exactly. In two years and 30k miles I have never noticed the TC engage even once, and it's been left in the default (max) position for all that time. Today I was hammering around rough Yorkshire C-roads with big potholes and a fair bit of gravel No TC light at all. Then we went on pure gravel and stone across the top. Again no TC kicking in - mind you I am not an experienced off roader so I wasn't using much throttle. I have had the rear abs kick in once or twice in 2 years but not since I moved the brake pedal down to a more controllable position.
Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Garage
Most of the confusion I see is by people who have no access to a DCT bike to test or confirm the ins and outs of the DCT tranny.
The internets don't provide the right answers.
Offroad? Turn TC off or whatever- to each his own. Does not matter; it's fun in any setting.
Day or Night
PTwin likes this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Three modes, manual, D and S, seven traction controls and ABS on or off when tried in the myriad of combinations available is perhaps the way I should have worded my inquiry.
Nobody has replied to feeling that they may be confused as to which combination is totally right for them so I can only assume that everything is hunky dory and perhaps it is time I tried one myself.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 PM

I have a '17 model, I leave it in sport mode 1 (I guess that's what they call it?), traction control on 3 setting...90% of the time I am riding. Am I a seasoned enough rider to intelligently pick and discern all the different combos of settings? Probably not. Do I care? Not really. All in know is when I crack the throttle and the DCT starts doing it's thing it puts a very large smile on my face. I don't miss using a clutch one little bit.
ProCycle and MildlyInterested like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
Three modes, manual, D and S, seven traction controls and ABS on or off when tried in the myriad of combinations available is perhaps the way I should have worded my inquiry.
Nobody has replied to feeling that they may be confused as to which combination is totally right for them so I can only assume that everything is hunky dory and perhaps it is time I tried one myself.
You are wrong about the DCT permutations. But not wrong about the other complexities. In my experience the DCT was easy to master. Maybe an hour or two's riding and I was using D and S mode at the right places and found the downpaddle amazing. Rarely used M- mode but knew what to do if I fancied trying it. With later iterations of the DCT then 3 different sport modes was easy to grasp.
It took me about an hour of riding the 2018 bike to explore the different engine power and braking modes and to detect the subtle differences between them. I have set up User mode to have highest engine power (massively more it seems than my 2017 bike) and weakest engine braking. I now leave the SEL button at the Mode position in the display then I press up to get high power (country roads) and down arrow to get Gravel - which is nice for tootling in urban areas or for economy on long runs. If I really want to get a move on, then when I'm in User mode I also select Sport mode on the DCT which defaults to the highest sport mode because that's how I last used it.
All the rest of the bikes settings are wasted on me - I have never felt the TC kicking in so I leave it in default mode, and I never go off road so wouldn't want to switch off the ABS, And the Gravel mode doesn't seem to do anything on this bike whereas I could feel some different behaviour on the 2017 bike that was useful (it seemed to soften the jerkiness when riding slowly in town)
Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
There is no combination of modes that are "correct" or wrong for riding.
You can ride all day in 'D-mode' or S2-mode- whatever tickles your fancy.
But as you ride more and are more familiar with the tune of the engine,
there is that combination which "feels" good and "correct".
Since everybody "feels" differently the mode settings will be different for each.
That is where the confusion is- not realizing that every rider will utilize the DCT differently.

This is my opinion and may be different from what Honda engineers intended.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page