Fuel Starvation - Tank Vacuum - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM

I suspect this guy has figured out the problem: https://guglatech.it/en/search?q_mak...+sports&q_sku=

Clearly the ATAS is rather sensitive to fuel quality. I've installed the fuel filter bag and ordered the fuel pump protection as I'm at high risk of poor fuel out here in Uganda. Will let all know whether this makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Stopped at the shop yesterday, and the good thing is that it is not dying. The bad thing(s) are they have no clue as to why it stopped the behavior, and the engine gets up to 6,000 RPM and it just goes flat like it is starving for fuel. Having it to take on my scheduled trip in 2 weeks is becoming questionable, as I am not wild about it giving up the ghost a couple thousand miles from home.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Just got an update. Mother Honda is telling the shop that with some L2 models the fuel pump is susceptible to "getting something in them" and it could cause these problems. Total plug, it dies, pressure is off the line, fuel flows starts right up. A partial obstruction could cause the current RPM limit at 6,000 acting as if it is starving for gas. All of those pieces might fit as the tech said that when it quite dying the only thing he had done was slightly move the fuel tank, so perhaps it dislodged whatever it was and went from a full block to a partial block. They are sending a new fuel pump assembly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 PM

Sounds like a good call, make sure they clean the tank as well. I have seen posts on that.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 AM

I'm getting the same on my ATAS. Feels like fuel starvation when on the throttle. A power reset will return normal operation. It's very annoying.

_________

I like bikes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 AM

It's good that Honda are trying to sort this out, but equally unless there's a redesigned fuel pump that's less prone to this type of blockage, it could just as easily happen again surely.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:27 AM

The biggest question I have is what is causing this issue which is now seemingly getting more and more widespread across multiple ATAS owners? Mine is bad fuel causing the issue which I've hopefully sorted with additional fuel filters, but others have found bits in their tanks. Regardless the fuel filter in the tank doesn't seem to cope and the fuel pump seems very sensitive causing this surging. VFMoore - did they give any indication on what exactly was 'dislodged'?!

I really hope Honda take notice and come up with a fix for both future and current owners.
MildlyInterested likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I hope they identify it when they replace the pump, and that is assuming they have hit on the right problem. To bad it is not as simple as my GL1800 where you run the tank below half, pull the seat, remove the pump and install new, then reinstall the seat. This bloody thing goes in the bottom. Of interest is that they are sending a pump from a 2019 as it is a different manufacturer.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 AM

Ill assume ethanol poisoning until someone shows otherwise.

I never touch the stuff if i can help it, and I usually can.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjbaggy View Post
The biggest question I have is what is causing this issue which is now seemingly getting more and more widespread across multiple ATAS owners? Mine is bad fuel causing the issue which I've hopefully sorted with additional fuel filters, but others have found bits in their tanks. Regardless the fuel filter in the tank doesn't seem to cope and the fuel pump seems very sensitive causing this surging. VFMoore - did they give any indication on what exactly was 'dislodged'?! I really hope Honda take notice and come up with a fix for both future and current owners.
I believe I read over on ADV forum the ATAS tank liner was peeling off and plugging the fuel filter. Can't find the comment / thread despite searching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page