Cool My AT is Famous!

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/w...pe-to-see-next

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Nice article, but I think he kind of misses the point. If you give the AT more power, you risk losing that tractability that makes it work so well off-road, and if you make it more road-biased you again dilute its off-road credentials, and if you give it a 19-inch front wheel - well, you get the idea. You'd end up with a machine aiming at the same niche as the GS, and trying to do what the GS does. If the AT isn't differentiated why would people buy it?

He's right in theory about the TFT, electronics and centerstand, but in practice adding these would cost money, and the fact that an AT is significantly cheaper than a GS is also part of what makes it different...
Strider78rr likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You missed MY point. That is my bike in the photos. :-) (I don't disagree with you, though)

Rob

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 PM

No, no, I picked up on that - the bit about borrowing his buddy's bike - but I did wonder what you were doing while he was riding it for those months!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have multiple bike disorder...
fd919 and MildlyInterested like this.

Rob

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Disagree with the article.
What I need in AT now is - 30 kg, better plastics, +3L gastank (but no this barrel from ATAS), step-back from tablet and throttle by wire. With aftermarket engine and handguards,
my 2016 is almost perfect bike for dual purposes and traveling. Except weight no complaints.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bukowski; 05-10-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Great looking machine (resembles mine)
I find the bike is pretty good at everything. I'd change the fuel capacity for a few more litres and that's about it. I don't have an issue with road manners while touring and it is superb on trails and gravel. I like the idea of more of the technology being added to the bike - TFT, cornering ABS, cruise control, etc.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:02 PM

Garage
The comments in an article like this drive me crazy. If you're gonna bitch about weight, get a **** dirt bike and modify it. If you're gonna bitch about road comfort and egos, there are plenty of 1200 cc 'Sport/tourers' out there, go that route.
Do ANY of those bozo's know what a true 'Dual Sport' is supposed to be?
One dumbass was bitchin about all the electronics, as if he wanted to go back to carbureted systems with the performance of fuel injection. Good luck, ain't gonna happen.
At the price point an AT sells for, the overall performance, weight and ergos are right where a mass produced bike should be.
KTM makes a fine bike with lower weight and plenty of power, go there.
BMW and Yamaha make bigger displacement bikes with great road ergos, and refined comfort, go there.
As a former KLR guy who has wrestled that heavy pig all over ****'s half acre and most of the passes of the 14'ers, I find their comments irritating, I'll bet they can't fix a flat on the trail.
Compared to my KLR, the AT is a beautiful beast, with great attributes, on and off the road.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:34 AM

One item that I did come away with was the comment on using the AT's center stand. I use my center all the time when the bike is parked in the garage and for maintenance. Due to the design and mechanics of the AT, I do find deploying the center stand awkward and requiring a good hefty lift. I'm 64 and in very good physical condition ( I work at it) but, some days the bike be a real stubborn beast to get on center stand. I've reviewed all the techniques and tips on You Tube and I still have not discovered a simple easy method. It still requires a good lift and after a long day at work or covering many miles, it can get sketchy putting the bike away, at least for me. One thing that does help is placing a 1 X 6 or so directly behind the rear wheel and rolling back upon the board as you lift. It just seems to transfer a little weight that really helps. Anyhow, I love the bike, will keep it for many, many miles. I just need to perfect the center stand procedure as I age.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon Al View Post
The comments in an article like this drive me crazy. If you're gonna bitch about weight, get a **** dirt bike and modify it. If you're gonna bitch about road comfort and egos, there are plenty of 1200 cc 'Sport/tourers' out there, go that route.
Do ANY of those bozo's know what a true 'Dual Sport' is supposed to be?
One dumbass was bitchin about all the electronics, as if he wanted to go back to carbureted systems with the performance of fuel injection. Good luck, ain't gonna happen.
At the price point an AT sells for, the overall performance, weight and ergos are right where a mass produced bike should be.
KTM makes a fine bike with lower weight and plenty of power, go there.
BMW and Yamaha make bigger displacement bikes with great road ergos, and refined comfort, go there.
As a former KLR guy who has wrestled that heavy pig all over ****'s half acre and most of the passes of the 14'ers, I find their comments irritating, I'll bet they can't fix a flat on the trail.
Compared to my KLR, the AT is a beautiful beast, with great attributes, on and off the road.
Yeap all of that. Reviewers all claiming the AT needs more power. Its not that it needs more power there are just way to many "adventure" bikes with too much power. LOL Another thing that irks me is reviewers who are 5'6" and complain the ATAS is too tall. Well too tall for you shorty........Duh.
superfunkomatic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page