OMG! A nightmare install... - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM

I disassembled the rear to see about doing a DIY fender eliminator (yes yes it's there for a reason I know) 4 hours and a couple broken fairing tags later, I decided I never want to do that again so I'm sticking with saddle bags on this bike.

Nightmare is right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Itís like Honda engineered it eat things and be a PITA. Just have the seat off and randomly drop a small object like a screw/nut/bolt and it WILL fall into a hole and be a whole big project to get it out. The plastics are all at a slope and quite a few of them slope down to a space where what ever falls can fall even farther (as the case under the front seat pan) and the funny thing is, it seems like there is no real reason to have a gap in those places. And sorry to hear Iím not the only one too, with those OEM nuts for the rack that really should be at least somewhat secure or accessible of the fall out so easy... But I will ad, this aside, I do love this bike..
BTW I ended up siliconing mine in place...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
BTW I ended up siliconing mine in place...
Given the hassles you have had, this seems like a very sensible thing to do!
Maybe Honda should have done that when they made the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
Given the hassles you have had, this seems like a very sensible thing to do!
Maybe Honda should have done that when they made the bike?
Normally most of these clip nuts usually ďsnapĒ in place but it seems on the ATís itís hit or miss some stay in place and others have issues and when they do.... They are a real PITA.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page