OMG! A nightmare install... - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OMG! A nightmare install...

Installed my lower racks for the panniers 8 hrs to install..... Yea right Bumot just put the OEM rack back on, they say...
Well Honda in their infinite wisdom made their semi permanent nuts anything but on the permanent side (see pic below)
One kind sold back and almost fell out. The other stayed in place, or so I thought, went to put the OEM rack back on and dropped the bolt in the hole for the rack and heard a tap as that stupid nut fell out of its “holder” and landed on the top side of the inner fender......A few hours later and having to take off the side panel to get it when it fell out again and while fishing for it it got knocked to the outside and slid down almost to where the key hole is.... Needless to say after dropping the taillight/rear fender (again) and quite a bit of colorful language I manage to get it back in and glued both of the SOB’s in... I guess Honda don’t expect anyone to remove/replace that rack because they really don’t snap in there worth a Fack. Even the front one fall out but those you can get you finger under and just push back up into place..
LOL! After all said and done they’re on and truth told I’m not really impressed with them, I like the looks but the build quality is not at par with the price tag or at least I think so, but then I had 40mm ammo cans on my old bike. Those things would take a wack from a small sledgehammer and not even chip the paint, let alone a dent... Then too; they were also 40lbs each....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00E1EF8E-3FFE-4BBF-95BF-2FB2AFCA553B.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	915.4 KB
ID:	48407  

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 05-12-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:11 AM

I was upset the bumot wasn't available for my ATAS when I was looking. Now I'm really glad I went with the SW-Motech set- it was stupid easy to install and looks, feels, and works like premium kit.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Yarg Eggers and jamnut like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 AM

It really sounds like the quality issues are with the bike, rather than with the Bumot pannier racks.
On my '17 the Bumot pannier racks were a breeze to install, like under 30 minutes and I was done. I've had mine for about a year and I'm very happy with the racks & panniers (and locking tool box) - I'd happily go with Bumot again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Garage
Same here...installed Bumot racks on my '17 several months ago with no issues. In fact, they took no "tweaking" to get all bolt holes lined up...unlike Givi and SWM racks I've installed in the past.

~ CRF1000L / KTM 200 XC-W / KTM 450 XC-W
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Agreed it was pretty much Honda’s fault and the nut system they used, I would of had issues with any panniers that had required me to remove the stock rack to install them. That said, it would of went on in about 30min or so - but too - any installation sheet that purposely said s leave ALL the bolts loose until they are all installed, to me, screams misalignment/poor fitment. Maybe I’m expecting to much for 2k worth of boxes I would forgive a company a few months into a new model year for things being a little off, but the AS has been out for a bit now I would expect a company the tweek those issues. Instead I get a system ( if you think about it ) that kinda fits together. I don’t know, like I said, maybe I’m expecting to much for what I (we) paid for - after all is said and done - all the panniers are waaaay over priced for basically 3 aluminum boxes and a few pieces of steel tubing. I guess while I’m on about quality. I might point out the fact that the side box mounts are sad too. They allow the box to rub on the mounting frame thus scratching the paint on both the frame and box. Not a huge issue on the aluminum box, but the steel frame I expect to see rust on soon. Ok not really because I’M going to fix that
( but I shouldn’t have to ). And I could go on about the mounting plate for the top box that between that and the box are probably not far off from the 20lb weight limit for the stock rear rack.... Maybe it’s just me, but the more $$ I shell out the more I expect of things...
I might note that it’s not like I had to get out C-clamps and use ratchet straps to get it together, it did just take a slight nudge here and there to get the bolts in...

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 05-14-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
...any installation sheet that purposely said s leave ALL the bolts loose until they are all installed, to me, screams misalignment/poor fitment.
Pretty much every bolt-on accessory (motorcycle, automobile, etc.) I've mounted says the same thing in the instructions.

Quote:
I might note that it’s not like I had to get out C-clamps and use ratchet straps to get it together, it did just take a slight nudge here and there to get the bolts in.
That qualifies as an "OMG!" nightmare?
JimInOz likes this.

~ CRF1000L / KTM 200 XC-W / KTM 450 XC-W

Last edited by kwb377; 05-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
Pretty much every bolt-on accessory (motorcycle, automobile, etc.) I've mounted says the same thing in the instructions.

That qualifies as an "OMG!" nightmare?
Leaving bolts loose until all parts are assembled is standard for any assembly involving metal frame parts. Exercise equipment, shelves, and pannier racks.

This seems a bit dramatic, to be honest.

JimInOz likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I’m glad that none of you had an issue with the nut for the OEM rack falling out and sliding down the inner fender well. I did, and if it happens to anyone else I’m sure they’ll agree with me or spend some time and just take off your inner fender well and let me know how that goes. Who knows maybe the idiot that installed those nuts screwed it up... All I can tell you is one fell completely out of its “holder” and the other was just hanging there. So YES it was a PITA fishing a nut out of the side of the bike pretty close to the passenger rear foot peg. But the best part is putting it back where it belongs there is NO ACCESS to it save for dropping the nut on the inner fender and fishing it back up through the hole it fell out of........ Other than that, yea the aftermarket racks were a breeze I would of been done in 20min or so.. BTW I am willing to stop by and tackle the OEM rack off anyone’s bike and push those nuts through if it’s no big deal to put them back on..

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
Leaving bolts loose until all parts are assembled is standard for any assembly involving metal frame parts. Exercise equipment, shelves, and pannier racks.

This seems a bit dramatic, to be honest.

Got a set of 100$ racks for my KLR and the alignment was better then these. Bolts just dropped in no push or pulling what so ever..

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 PM

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me. Spent all day carefully learning how to disassemble the rear half of the bike in order to install the Bumot frame. After carefully reassembling 99% of it (and semi struggling with holding the two mid-line under frame nuts in place with a small screwdriver whilst getting the bolts started) on of those 2 #%@&ing nuts you mention fell down beneath everything I had assembled. Yes I had to completely disassemble everything a second time. I taped the 2 mid-line nuts and the 2 rear suspect nuts in place this time. Second time start to finish was about 45min, lol. Had 2 minor crashes in mud 12 days ago and the Bumots performed amazing. I love them and think they are great. Honda's engineering, not so much.
AT-Dragon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page