SW motech City bag steering interference? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I just purchased the SW motech 'city bag' quick release for my 2017 Africa Twin. Based on SW motech website, the city bag is recommended for this bike, however, after watching several videos on installation, a common comment is not to install a bag that will cause interference at full lock.

Temporarily placing the bag on my tank, at about 80 either direction, the bars will rub against the bag thus limiting my steering radius.

Although during the majority of my riding I'm sure I won't ever have to worry about the bag obstructing my steering, I do wonder if this bag may cause problems, especially if having to make a sharp turn abruptly.

Can anyone who owns this specific bag provide any feedback? Pros and cons? Any issues with steering and interference with the tank bag?

Deciding on if I should keep it, or return it for a Givi tank bag.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Apex; 05-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 AM

I've got this bag on my ATAS. Used it previously on KTM 1190/1290. It's a very good bag I think - not too big but holds enough.
When I offered it up to the ATAS, I found the same as you - the bars do touch the bag on full lock (even with the quick release mechanism mounted as far forward as possible).
I only use the bag when on trips and used it last September on a trip to the Pyrennes & Picos, and I had no problem with it at all. Leaving on another trip on Friday and I will use the bag again with no concerns.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I just purchased the SW motech 'city bag' quick release for my 2017 Africa Twin. Based on SW motech website, the city bag is recommended for this bike, however, after watching several videos on installation, a common comment is not to install a bag that will cause interference at full lock.

Temporarily placing the bag on my tank, at about 80 either direction, the bars will rub against the bag thus limiting my steering radius.

Although during the majority of my riding I'm sure I won't ever have to worry about the bag obstructing my steering, I do wonder if this bag may cause problems, especially if having to make a sharp turn abruptly.

Can anyone who owns this specific bag provide any feedback? Pros and cons? Any issues with steering and interference with the tank bag?

Deciding on if I should keep it, or return it for a Givi tank bag.

Thanks everyone!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
It's a costly tank bag to keep (because I can't return it once I drill into it!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 PM

I just installed one as well and noticed the full lock interference. It's so minor that I don't think it will ever be an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page