ATAS will turn over but does not fire up - then runs rough - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

ATAS will turn over but does not fire up - then runs rough

ATAS will turn over but not fire up - then runs rough

I have an ATAS bought in Jan 2019 which has now done 3000 miles. I cleaned her at the local petrol station with a jet wash as usual then rode her home and dried down with cloths then put her away. I have done this for years with multiple bikes and not issues, including this one.

Four days later I was leaving to go to the Touratech event in Wales and she simply would not fire at all. She would turn over with great gusto so the battery was OK. I gave it a number of five second bursts on the starter and nothing, itís as if the plugs didnít exist or she had no fuel, she was half full. I pushed her out of the garage and left if for five minutes. Then pressed the starter button and just held it down for about 10 seconds until she began to fire. She struggled to fire up on up one cylinder and five to ten seconds later she slowly fired up the second cylinder.

She wouldnít remain running on idle and just stalled when the throttle was opened. It took several attempts to get her running on both cylinders but finally she seemed OK. I left her to get warmed up and she seemed to be stable with good throttle response. I left for the event and rode to Wales, some 500 miles on the Motorway there and back without any problems. She ran OK but feels and sounds out of tune as if one of the cylinders is slightly starved of fuel or air.

She has now been stood for a few days but starts up OK. She still feels rough though and when she is running you can feel the lumpy vibration through the bars and the saddle. Itís as if the timing is slightly off. I can ride her OK, sheís just not right. She is booked in with the dealer at the end of the month and weíll see what they find.

If you have any ideas I would welcome some comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Had it a couple of times on an early model.
Disconnect the battery and leave the ignition in the on position overnight.
Make sure the tubes up under the tank are drained of oil - posts elsewhere..
Reconnect the battery and go through the throttle setting routine - posts elsewhere..

Runs as it should for a good time after. Sorry don't know the tech stuff - others will chip in.
This is just following previous threads that I tried and found useful.

There may be something other than that, the dealership should be able to help, but from the forum these are the first things to try.

As a matter of interest I have a '16 model manual. I was always going to go tubeless so the wheel issues are of no consequence to me. SM Pro have been superb and not expensive.
Wish I knew about the Rally Raid 17/19 option before purchase but I didn't. Anyone want to swap SM Pro for smaller Rally Raid wheels - pm me...
Not that I have short legs just getting older and stiffer..

My AT is by far the best bike (in the 24 I remember having) plus many others I have ridden in 50 years of biking. Often had multiple bikes before the wife put her size 5's down.

Ride safe everyone.

Z

2016 AT manual. 2005 TA. 1949 Scott 600.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 PM

Id be looking at the switch set after the "jet wash"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in