Spare part prices Europe versus the rest of the world - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Smitf
  • 1 Post By Smitf

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Spare part prices Europe versus the rest of the world

I was look for the oem part 64450-MJP-G50 BRACKET, SKID PLATE so I ask the local Honda dealer for a price 143,00 eur. When you look to this part it is just a piece of iron with a value of 5 euro. So I searched on the Internet and found out that price in the US approx 16 USD and in Austrailia 28AUD for exactly the same part. So I compared more items and see the we have to pay here in Europe 8 to 10 times more for OEM Honda parts. I send an email to Honda Europe and get a standard answer yes that is a big difference but yo have to ask your dealer for the right price. I have seen the purchase Price from the dealer and that only 20% lower than the sales price. So it is not the dealer who makes the price high but Honda Europe.

Can someone tell me why we here in Europe and UK pay so much more?
It has nothing to do with import taxes or shipping cost.
MPNM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:19 AM

Garage
I can't help with explaining the reasoning but I've noticed that as well. I'm in Canada but when I search for parts I sometimes get links to European sites and I'm dumbfounded on the price. I just looked up that part on a Canadian parts site I have bookmarked and its $25.94 which is just a fraction of what you'd pay.

'17 Africa Twin, '14 CB500X, '82 MB5, '78 XL250s, '72 CB350K4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitf View Post
I was look for the oem part 64450-MJP-G50 BRACKET, SKID PLATE so I ask the local Honda dealer for a price 143,00 eur. When you look to this part it is just a piece of iron with a value of 5 euro. So I searched on the Internet and found out that price in the US approx 16 USD and in Austrailia 28AUD for exactly the same part. So I compared more items and see the we have to pay here in Europe 8 to 10 times more for OEM Honda parts. I send an email to Honda Europe and get a standard answer yes that is a big difference but yo have to ask your dealer for the right price. I have seen the purchase Price from the dealer and that only 20% lower than the sales price. So it is not the dealer who makes the price high but Honda Europe.

Can someone tell me why we here in Europe and UK pay so much more?
It has nothing to do with import taxes or shipping cost.
Yeah, I live in Switzerland it's even most of the time worse, we really get f***** and that's the same for most imported accessories as well !

Just checked my 24'000km service detail and the 2 air filters cost 126CHF, looking in USA 2 filters are 75.90$, so 76.74CHF making it 40%
more expensive, oïl filter was 25CHF and in USA 11.35$ so 11.47CHF so 64% more expensive... this is just robery !

Last edited by Djairouks; 05-19-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is really crazy. This is the way how you create parallel import. I also think it is forbidden for motorcycle shops to ship these parts to Europe. But there are more ways to Rome.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is robery. People complain about BMW but Honda Europe is nothing better.
May be it could be interesting to collect parts and find someone who will buy it and ship it to here.
I would like to see what Honda is doing when every month a container with oem parts arrives in the habour of Rotterdam. Import tax is only 2,9%.
MPNM likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitf View Post
Yes it is robery. People complain about BMW but Honda Europe is nothing better.
May be it could be interesting to collect parts and find someone who will buy it and ship it to here.
I would like to see what Honda is doing when every month a container with oem parts arrives in the habour of Rotterdam. Import tax is only 2,9%.
Not sure this is Honda, because I just checked the prices for my Yamaha and in Switzerland prices are also twice the prices from USA…

I guess on the simpler Yamaha, I'll be doing service myself from now on !
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

It is still strange the price of a new bike is nearly everywhere the same but not for the parts.
A bit difference like 10% okay I can life with that but 125 euro more then in Canada is really crazy.
I can understand that people will not buy OEM parts but go for alternatieves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page