Schuberth C4 users - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Schuberth C4 users

Anyone here using the C4 and the SC1 comm system? Good, bad or whatever? And one question, where the **** is the built in mike? I have a Sena S 20, very pleased with it when hooked to my S-voice Samsung phone, great for music and calls.
My Lady has agreed to try riding with me, and she got a screamin deal on a C4, so I'm trying to hook up our systems.
Thanx!

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 AM

Yes great helmet ..quiet ...just done a big ride to Europe worked perfectly phone and music .. battery life is very good volume is gd and that is using ear plugs as well ... no idea where mic is anyone I speak to via headset confirms very clear at their end.

Comms hook up is good as well..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 AM

I bought this Helmet 2 years ago when it came out and love it
Quiet and it works amazing
Download the app on your phone
Easy Peasy

Birdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM

I love it. I used it while doing a 7000+ km trip from Chicago to San Diego (Route 66) then up the Pacific Coast to Seattle

While talking on the phone people couldn't even tell I was on my motorcycle. The volume could be a bit louder tho (I was on a motorcycle with no fairings, so lots of wind noise + earplugs)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 AM

Just bought one on a clearance deal. I also have a 20s that I use instead of buying the SC1 system. From what I can gather online, the built in mic is in the forehead area near the top of the visor. Until my 20s dies, I'll just keep using that. But, I do like the idea of not having a coms unit attached to the outside of the helmet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:06 PM

C4 is fine helmet, but personally I would not pay the full price on it. I have a pressure point on top my head because the liner is strange shape (resolved by using a small scalp cap), chin vent is flimsily and not very effective and top vent although provides good flow is difficult to operate with gloves. Also the communicator buttons are small and hard to use with glove too.

On the other hand, it is relatively quiet. Although not light is well balances and with good aerodynamics. Has excellent field of view as the visor is very wide, has a good sun visor, build in communicator works well and nothing gets in the way as it is very neatly integrated.

They resolved all of the issues above with C4 Pro but still I think C4 is a good buy at the heavily discounted prices available at the moment (as I got it).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM

I just picked up a C4 Spark. I was in the market for a nice modular helmet, but I waited months and months for one of the C4 or C4/E1 variants to come on sale because I too feel that full retail price on these helmets (and I include all manufacturers' top-tier helmets here: Schuberth, Shoie, Aria, etc.) is insane—dạmned near $1k! Finally got one in my size and a color I could live with for 60% off at Revzilla. (There are nearly always nice helmets on sale - but invariably limited to sizes XS or XXXL or some-such). So when one came on sale in XL in red, I jumped on it. I was afraid the red might be a bit too orange from the pictures, but no, it's really very nice and matches up well with the red on my ATAS.

So far I like it a lot. I've only got a few hundred miles on it but it's very comfortable and quiet. I love the venting options - from subtle to more free flowing. I like the 'no frills" graphics, very cool-looking.

And I like that I can ride with the visor up at moderately higher speeds, 50 to 60 mph or more, comfortably. (Not the chin bar - I can do that too, but only up to 30 or 40 mph until it starts feeling a bit funky).

But the helmet really shines with the visor down. So, so quiet. Field of view, fantastic. Optical clarity, sweet. Nice flip-down sun visor too (the color/ shade doesn't put me off a bit). It's not stuffy, even in hot weather and with all the vents closed - which I find remarkable. The only vent I've been using much is the little one at the chin.

I came from open-face helmets for *years.* This is really my first foray into "full-face" (even though it's modular). I've tried on a ton of helmets at dealerships and found most of them gave me an intolerably constricted and claustrophobic feeling. Not this helmet.

My only complaint is the strap... it hits my Adam's apple when I swallow and sort of pinches just a bit at the top of my Adam's apple at all times. It has a nice piece of cushion there, but it's not enough. To make it work for longer trips, I will probably have to fashion some sort of solution - more cushioning, I'm guessing. I can see it being a problem on long trips unless I can figure it out. I hope I can, because otherwise, I really like the helmet... a lot.

And FYI - my head size is 23 1/2 in. (59.37 cm) (and probably your standard "intermediate oval" shape) and the size XL is a *perfect* fit. Not too tight, not too loose. It really couldn't fit my head any better. Got lucky there.

To your question about the comms and microphone placement... sorry, no experience there yet.

Thanks, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Last edited by garyh; 05-21-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanx all! Appreciate the feedback. Now I'm jealous of my Lady's helm!!

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
I just picked up a C4 Spark. I was in the market for a nice modular helmet, but I waited months and months for one of the C4 or C4/E1 variants to come on sale because I too feel that full retail price on these helmets (and I include all manufacturers' top-tier helmets here: Schuberth, Shoie, Aria, etc.) is insane—dạmned near $1k! Finally got one in my size and a color I could live with for 60% off at Revzilla. (There are nearly always nice helmets on sale - but invariably limited to sizes XS or XXXL or some-such). So when one came on sale in XL in red, I jumped on it. I was afraid the red might be a bit too orange from the pictures, but no, it's really very nice and matches up well with the red on my ATAS.

So far I like it a lot. I've only got a few hundred miles on it but it's very comfortable and quiet. I love the venting options - from subtle to more free flowing. I like the 'no frills" graphics, very cool-looking.

And I like that I can ride with the visor up at moderately higher speeds, 50 to 60 mph or more, comfortably. (Not the chin bar - I can do that too, but only up to 30 or 40 mph until it starts feeling a bit funky).

But the helmet really shines with the visor down. So, so quiet. Field of view, fantastic. Optical clarity, sweet. Nice flip-down sun visor too (the color/ shade doesn't put me off a bit). It's not stuffy, even in hot weather and with all the vents closed - which I find remarkable. The only vent I've been using much is the little one at the chin.

I came from open-face helmets for *years.* This is really my first foray into "full-face" (even though it's modular). I've tried on a ton of helmets at dealerships and found most of them gave me an intolerably constricted and claustrophobic feeling. Not this helmet.

My only complaint is the strap... it hits my Adam's apple when I swallow and sort of pinches just a bit at the top of my Adam's apple at all times. It has a nice piece of cushion there, but it's not enough. To make it work for longer trips, I will probably have to fashion some sort of solution - more cushioning, I'm guessing. I can see it being a problem on long trips unless I can figure it out. I hope I can, because otherwise, I really like the helmet... a lot.

And FYI - my head size is 23 1/2 in. (59.37 cm) (and probably your standard "intermediate oval" shape) and the size XL is a *perfect* fit. Not too tight, not too loose. It really couldn't fit my head any better. Got lucky there.

To your question about the comms and microphone placement... sorry, no experience there yet.

Thanks, Gary

Gary, I had the same problem with the chin strap. It took me a little while, but I found the chin strap adjustment that was tucked into the chin strap pad. After loosening that, the clip no longer digs into my throat. I know I'm making an assumption that you haven't done that, but it helped me a lot.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollard View Post
Gary, I had the same problem with the chin strap. It took me a little while, but I found the chin strap adjustment that was tucked into the chin strap pad. After loosening that, the clip no longer digs into my throat. I know I'm making an assumption that you haven't done that, but it helped me a lot.
Michael, Thanks for the tip. But yes, I did loosen the strap, ran it all the way out, in fact - on both sides. (When I first tried it on, I could only get the ratchet tongue to click in one notch and the buckle sat right in the middle). And though with the straps fully extended (on the tongue side and the quick release ratchet side), the main buckle is well off-center but the strap itself still rides over the top of my Adam's apple.

I must have an unusually long head (jaw to top of head) and/or a large Adam's apple. And those really comfy little cushions on both sides of the strap don't reach to the middle for me. If I can get a cushion in the middle, I think it will solve my problem. Even so, the helmet is fine for shorter rides as it is. And I think I can find a cushion that I can slip over the strap to stay semi-permanently and help with longer rides.

Thanks for mentioning it though!

Ride safe, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page