Seized bar ends - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Invin

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Seized bar ends

I purchased my 2017 AT used, and I'm quickly finding that the previous owner (or shop) overtightened everything they touched. I think they seized the bar end bolts after installing Oxford heated grips. I'd like to change the hand guards and add a throttle rocker, but the bar ends are absolutely seized. I've tried penetrating lubricant, heating, an air ratchet, a breaker bar and hammer, and have struggled with it for hours. I can see the bolt is starting to strip so I've stopped and am trying to evaluate what to do. Anyone else struggle to get bar ends off and find a clever solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:23 AM

If you’ve tried all that they’re probably not going to come out without a big fight.
From factory they come with red thread lock which was hard to break but you seem to have a bigger problem. Might have to drill it out at some point.
If you strip the bolt, use a dremel to make a new one or a straight slit and then try again
Good luck

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

It took penetrating lube from the inner side between the handlebar and bar end cover, vice grips locked onto the outer rim of the allen bolt, and a hammer on the vice grips for quite some time to finally break it free. I was forced to chew the vice grips into the rim of the bar end bolt to finally get it to budge, noting the price of a new bolt was only $8 before doing so haha. Thankfully I didn't strip the allen socket so now things thread in and out easily. I have no idea what they torqued it to when they changed the grips, but it felt like the entire bike was going to twist into the air rather than the bolt coming free.

If anyone else runs into this problem, let me know and I can take some pictures of the areas I used to get it free.
MildlyInterested likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:44 AM

Try to heat the bar end with a hairdryer, then put the allen wrench into the screw and hit with a hammer. Finally turn the screw. Try not to burn the plastic parts and grips. You can cover it with a wet towel before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page