Hard vs Soft luggage - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Hard vs Soft luggage

Hey everyone,

Last year I've done a 7000km trip on a CBR500R with a combination of hard and soft luggage.
I found it really annoying having to take off the mosko moto bag (that doesn't lock) every time I stopped for coffee or to eat and the motorcycle wasn't in my line of sight.

I also couldn't leave it on the bike and go explore the city I was in because I was afraid someone would just take off with it (I doubt the "cable lock" for bags like these are much of a deterrent)

What solutions do you guys have? Are the OEM honda cases any good? I like the fact that they lock and they're not made of metal, so it helps keeping the weight down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coast.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	48593  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaiv View Post
Hey everyone,

Last year I've done a 7000km trip on a CBR500R with a combination of hard and soft luggage.
I found it really annoying having to take off the mosko moto bag (that doesn't lock) every time I stopped for coffee or to eat and the motorcycle wasn't in my line of sight.

I also couldn't leave it on the bike and go explore the city I was in because I was afraid someone would just take off with it (I doubt the "cable lock" for bags like these are much of a deterrent)

What solutions do you guys have? Are the OEM honda cases any good? I like the fact that they lock and they're not made of metal, so it helps keeping the weight down.

The OEM luggage are ok; simply ok, though. I have them but I would NOT recommend them for off road. Their quality is very lower compared to the Givi's. Also, their capacity is limited.

For this reason, while I kept them for solo touring, I have also installed SW-Motech racks with Givi monokey kit and I use the GIVI e-41s for two-up touring.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:06 AM

I prefer soft bags. I have Nelson Rigg se-3050s on a Motech rack. Waterproof, spacious, and under 200 dollars. The biggest advantage is you can overstuff them or leave them open and have tall objects loaded from the top. Also, soft bags protect the bike frame in falls, have a lower chance of breaking your legs in an off, and don't shake your beer or soda at highway speeds (in my top box beers explode when I get home, but in my bags they're fine).

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
mihaiv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM

As you stated Mr. Mihaiv both styles of bags are excellent, just depends on ones wants & needs. I have used both, right now Im using givi soft bags, which are best for me for off road camping.
mihaiv likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 PM

File under "Important"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
and don't shake your beer or soda at highway speeds (in my top box beers explode when I get home, but in my bags they're fine).
This might be the best tip I've seen all week!
Djairouks and No.9 like this.

2019 Africa Twin DCT in Matt Ballistic Black
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 PM

I have a 48 liter givi top box as well. It works as quick commute friendly lockable storage as well as enough softbag space for 96 beers. I have the best of both worlds and it works as a back rest for my wife. I do not like hard side bags since they do not change shape to allow for odd sized items. Also, if I load ice into my see 3050 I have a cooler for about 12 hours.

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm pretty smitten with the **** things. I keep all my rain gear, visors, lobster claws, and bike tools on the exhaust side and leave the left side free for whatever and the top box for my work bag and lunch.

I sing this setup's praises at every opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
MildlyInterested likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 PM

I used to have hard bags on my bikes in the past. The convenience of locking everything up. On my more recent bikes I've used Mosko Moto bags and Lone Rider Motobags. I like both of them better than hard luggage. Slightly lighter, more functional for accessories, and if I go offroad and have a wipeout they won't break.

Knock on wood - haven't had anything stolen on my bike in 300,000 kilometres of riding. I just leave my gear on the bike if I'm going for a short hike/walk or for photos. If I'm going to spend the day exploring I try to park the bike and leave my luggage behind.

The nice thing about the Lone Rider Motobags is that they are fixed to the rack and have a locking mechanism on the top of the bag.

I suppose you could also add a cable lock for things that you would like to shackle down - although a smart thief is likely to be able to deal with that.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:41 PM

I went with a GIVI 52 trekker top case for around town and it stores an amazing amount of stuff. It is set upon an AltRider rear rack fitted with the GIVI attachment kit. This combination works very well for both commuting and when it comes to camping I have a very sturdy and flexible rack for my Nelson Rigg hurricane soft bag to tie to. I have a used set of touratech pannier racks and Mosko 35L soft bags for the camping set up. I am not a fan of hard cases off road for the simple reason of being trapped or broken out on trail. My 2017 twin is shrouded in the AltRider crash bars and with the mosko bags filled the bike lands on its side and leaves me room to escape .
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
For me, it comes down to security and durability. I have soft bags and if I have to leave the bike I take my valuables with me. In the event of even a small crash, soft bags stand up better. I'm lucky to live in a fairly safe place so I couldn't justify paying up for hard cases, but if I was travelling the world I would get hard cases that lock.

The more you've found, the less you've been around.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM

I have Bumot panniers & rack, I also have a plate for each rack that I can attach so that I can use my Wolfman Drybags instead.

Bumot Pannier Soft Bag Bracket: https://www.bumotaustralia.com.au/pa...g-bracket.html
Wolfman bags: https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/...ry-saddle-bags

For a long trip camping overnight for a few weeks I prefer the hard cases for the capacity and security. I have a 36L & 40L Bumot hard case and a Givi 58L top box as well as a roll-top duffel to strap to the rear seat, during my holidays this year I was away for 23 nights and was camping each night.

For a day trip with off-road riding it would make sense to take off the top-box and put the Wolfman Dry Bags on, as I wouldn't need all that much storage capacity and less weight would be good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page