Riding Position - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Riding Position

I've been riding for many years on lots of different bikes dirt to sport but never a large ADV bike. My question centers around how to set up the bar height or ride height for a comfortable ride sitting but the proper height while standing. I've been pretty busy since I bought the bike ( kids graduations and such) so I've only put about 1300 miles on it but noticed while standing both my legs and arms are pretty much straight and I'm thinking , like a dirt bike they should be slightly bent for better comfort and control.
What riding position is best for off-road and gravel in your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:54 PM

There are heaps of videos out there on the subject and just as many different opinions. For example Chris Birch has a definite opinion on the matter and he definitely is against bar risers. I've also had very talented big bike riders tell me not to read nor listen to anyone on the subject and do what makes you feel most comfortable....basically whatever works for you. I'm in the middle. I commute daily but get off road as much as I can. On my 2017 manual I have a set of standard rox risers and brought the bars back slightly. At 6' flat that gives me a good position both seated and standing. The biggest thing I've discovered is maintaining a good triangle off road...to do and being able to shift my weight I've found a short windscreen is better so I don't kiss it with my beak. Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 AM

My off-road experience is limited, but the instructors on my course were not standing ramrod straight. Also, the aim is to allow the body to react to and absorb movement in the bike (the principle is the same as with a pedal bike, like a BMX or mountain bike) and that's going to be hard to do if your legs are locked out. I have legs and arms slightly bent. I find the slippiness of the tank a problem.

2019 Africa Twin DCT in Matt Ballistic Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyInterested View Post
My off-road experience is limited, but the instructors on my course were not standing ramrod straight. Also, the aim is to allow the body to react to and absorb movement in the bike (the principle is the same as with a pedal bike, like a BMX or mountain bike) and that's going to be hard to do if your legs are locked out. I have legs and arms slightly bent. I find the slippiness of the tank a problem.

That my thought as well from my days riding dirt bikes. Not that I have my center stand fitted I think I'll play around with the bars and see what works best for me. May need risers since I've got short legs but a long torso.

BTW, My Heed crash bars are due in today and this weekend I'll be tearing apart the front end to install the OEM plug and the bars!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Installed my heed crash bars and Rox risers 2 weeks ago. Not too hard to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page