can i Jump start my 2017 DCT - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
You don't have to remove the battery to jump start.
Just remove the toolbox and open the cover to get at the terminals.
That's as easy as it gets, unless your battery has discharged completely.
I seem to recall that the battery slides in sideways and the -ve terminal is at the far end. So, to get to both terminals, you'd need to slide the battery out as well.

To jump start you could connect to the +ve lead to the battery and connect the -ve jump lead to a bare metal part on the bike frame/engine block, but not always recommended.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
I seem to recall that the battery slides in sideways and the -ve terminal is at the far end. So, to get to both terminals, you'd need to slide the battery out as well.

To jump start you could connect to the +ve lead to the battery and connect the -ve jump lead to a bare metal part on the bike frame/engine block, but not always recommended.
That's mostly correct except the battery doesn't move much without undoing the terminal screws. You don't want to undo either lead to
jump start the bike.
Last time I jump started my bike, I was alone at a remote campground with no one to help me.
I did have my jump pack with me and got to use it for the first time but it was difficult.
I managed to get the +ve jumper clip to touch the terminal while pushing the start button with my right thumb.
(The alligator style clip could not be used to hold onto the terminal due to the lack of room in the area and holding it by hand was the only way possible.)
This is a certifiable 'yoga' move and if your arms are short, almost impossible to accomplish.
I have since put a heavy duty 'pig tail' jumper lead to make it easier but had no battery issues since.
james.mc likes this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
I can imagine what a contortionist move that might have been!

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
My solution was to pre fit and run a jumpstart lead up under the front seat. It's a heavy duty cable permanently connected to the battery. Under the seat it terminates in a connector that I can simply plug into my Lithium jump start battery pack (that also has USB charging ports and a torch - flashlight in USA speak).
My jump start lead is short and tucked into the 'tool box' that sits over the battery. I use the Bumot tool box attached to my Bumot pannier rack to hold my tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
I have since put a heavy duty 'pig tail' jumper lead to make it easier but had no battery issues since.
That's the best thing about setting up a way to overcome a potential problem, you end up never needing it. But if you have no solution, THEN the problem is bound to crop up!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
That's the best thing about setting up a way to overcome a potential problem, you end up never needing it. But if you have no solution, THEN the problem is bound to crop up!
Yep! Seems to have worked so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
My jump start lead is short and tucked into the 'tool box' that sits over the battery. I use the Bumot tool box attached to my Bumot pannier rack to hold my tools.
Ah! I have another item in that space ..... Camel ADV fuel tank.
I really wanted the tool box there, but after some thought range got the better of me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8919.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	48895  
KiwiMark likes this.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page