can i Jump start my 2017 DCT - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

can i Jump start my 2017 DCT

My battery has run flat (yes, I know I don't use her enough) and instead of removing there battery, which is a nightmare, is there any other safe way of jump starting the bike.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Garage
You don't have to remove the battery to jump start.
Just remove the toolbox and open the cover to get at the terminals.
That's as easy as it gets, unless your battery has discharged completely.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:28 AM

You can jump start lithium? I was told not to, but I'm not convinced they knew what was up.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 AM

I had the same issue in February (no electric in my garage and the bike had stood for 6 or 7 weeks) I faffed about taking the battery out and charged it whilst putting a charged spare in its place ( I figured that at some point in the future, I'd need to get the bike started to catch a ferry or something and be stuffed if it wouldn't start, so bought a 2nd battery I keep in the house fully charged) I can now swap the battery in less than 5 minutes...it's just getting used to it and knowing the correct spanner that'll fit for the left hand side 'awkward' terminal.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
You can jump start lithium? I was told not to, but I'm not convinced they knew what was up.
I don't believe you can.

I have a lithium battery too. Do yourself a favor, buy a Battery Tender Junior 800. Gives you the option to charge lithium or lead acid battery.

Love it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
It depends. If the cells has been detached by the management system before going too low (let's say around 2V) , then it can be recharged and therefore jump start the bike. If the cells has been completely depleted (<1V), then recharging them would be dangerous. In this case the battery is simply waste.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 AM

My 2017 battery is not lithium.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:42 AM

Garage
I have pre-empted this, because for me it may not only become a problem caused by not having ridden the bike for a few weeks. I'm away working a lot, so my DCT sits on a battery maintainer anyway.

What happens if you are on a trip, alone, miles from anywhere. You've camped out overnight. In the morning you hit the start button... clunk, click, click click. Nada!!
On checking, battery terminals are tight but the battery is flat. You are stuffed! Even more so if you are out of cell tower range and don't have a Garmin Explorer GPS comms unit (or similar). I have one, but that's not relevant here.

It's a DCT, even if you had a down hill stretch you can't bump start it, as the engine needs to be running for a clutch to engage in any gear.
Besides, even it were manual, on flat ground no single person will be able to push and bump start an Africa Twin.

My solution was to pre fit and run a jumpstart lead up under the front seat. It's a heavy duty cable permanently connected to the battery. Under the seat it terminates in a connector that I can simply plug into my Lithium jump start battery pack (that also has USB charging ports and a torch - flashlight in USA speak).

I carry the pack with me at all times as it also has crock clips and can be used to jump cars and other bikes, good Samaritan style

So, if I ever need to jump start my DCT, at home, in town or out in the boonies, I just lift the front seat, plug in and start. No need to pull any covers off or slide the battery out, which in my case also entails removing the left RockFox upper crash bar!

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-09-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
I have pre-empted this, because for me it may not only become a problem caused by not having ridden the bike for a few weeks. I'm away working a lot, so my DCT sits on a battery maintainer anyway.

What happens if you are on a trip, alone, miles from anywhere. You've camped out overnight. In the morning you hit the start button... clunk, click, click click. Nada!!
On checking, battery terminals are tight but the battery is flat. You are stuffed! Even more so if you are out of cell tower range and don't have a Garmin Explorer GPS comms unit (or similar). I have one, but that's not relevant here.

It's a DCT, even if you had a down hill stretch you can't bump start it, as the engine needs to be running for a clutch to engage in any gear.
Besides, even it were manual, on flat ground no single person will be able to push and bump start an Africa Twin.

My solution was to pre fit and run a jumpstart lead up under the front seat. It's a heavy duty cable permanently connected to the battery. Under the seat it terminates in a connector that I can simply plug into my Lithium jump start battery pack (that also has USB charging ports and a torch - flashlight in USA speak).

I carry the pack with me at all times as it also has crock clips and can be used to jump cars and other bikes, good Samaritan style

So, if I ever need to jump start my DCT, at home, in town or out in the boonies, I just lift the front seat, plug in and start. No need to pull any covers off or slide the battery out, which in my case also entails removing the left RockFox upper crash bar!
What a smashing idea. I have a fuse block under the seat. It probably wouldn't be that hard to jump the lead (I have a similar lithium battery jumper) but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
james.mc likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM

what does the owners manual say? Because mine says "Do not Jump-Start..." This is on page 167 of the 2018 owners manual.

So, is this specific to Lithium Battery/ride by wire bikes?

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page