Dct shifting problems - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By motosickle2000

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Dct shifting problems

Hi Africa Twinírs
I just picked up a 2017 dct with 1900 miles, I like the automatic sport mode for city cruising, Iím having problems constantly with it not wanting to shift into 4th gear which I end up paddle shifting it, Iím really annoyed with such low miles there are issues. I find that I get a hang up in regular auto mode, not as often but I really like the bike but annoyed with this scenario. Is this a trip to the dealer with only one week of riding? It was probably like this when I test rode it but didnít know any better.
Has anyone else experienced this issue
Thx
Annoyed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbronson View Post
Hi Africa Twinírs
I just picked up a 2017 dct with 1900 miles, I like the automatic sport mode for city cruising, Iím having problems constantly with it not wanting to shift into 4th gear which I end up paddle shifting it, Iím really annoyed with such low miles there are issues. I find that I get a hang up in regular auto mode, not as often but I really like the bike but annoyed with this scenario. Is this a trip to the dealer with only one week of riding? It was probably like this when I test rode it but didnít know any better.
Has anyone else experienced this issue
Thx
Annoyed
Depends which sport mode you are in. If you are in the most aggressive mode (3) then it probably won't want to change out of 3rd gear in city cruising. In D-mode it will probably hover between 4th and 5th.
Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong to me.
Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 AM

Garage
Yea as mike says try a different level of sport mode, or use just drive mode, mine in “standard drive mode’ will have me in 6th @ 35mph.
“Standard drive mode” is really useless to me no matter what version gravel, urban, tour, user. It spends like 3 seconds in each gear and goes to the next, so by 35mph I’m in 6th. But put it in sport and at 35mph mine likes 3rd and will NOT let me even shift up to 4th. Pretty much there is no discernible difference in the shift patterns in standard D mode the only difference is in the power, engine brake, torque.
Sport mode is different and dose have a different shift “pattern” each of the 3 levels have different rpm’s at which they switch gears but there too that doesn’t change in the different drive modes like grave, urban, tour. The only change again is the levels of P, EB, TC. It’s all kinda screwy, one would think, OK I’m in the city I should use “urban” and it will stay in gears a bit longer and in lower gears since in not going to be going fast more stop and go driving but nope it shits just the same as touring or gravel or user but the P, EB, TC changes and the bike feels a bit different because of the power to the wheel and the downshifting. So what we end up with is “sport mode” is actually more of a urban setting and “standard” drive is more of a tour setting (faster open roads lest shifting) and gravel is well gravel, less wheel slip all around (actually great for rain on tarmac). So sport for city driving (I’m sure you’ll like one of the 3 levels) and standard for open roads/expressways. I will add that standard drive will give great fuel economy, but personally I can’t stand it in most all of my normal driving situations, i feel it short shifts and selects way to high of a gear for the speed I’m going. The other modes like gravel, urban, tour are ‘just the decoration’s on the icing as it were” helpful in their own way but not really a big deal, with the exception being grave mode -that can and will help any inexperienced driver off road (and as mentioned before in rain).

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 06-10-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 AM

The 17s only have the four automatic modes: D, S1, S2, and S3, and Manual. D is only good for where you can't get any speed and don't want to hold a lower gear for miles, which the sport modes would do. I use S1 in regular traffic, no need for anything more aggressive. I can override any gear in any mode with the paddles, within engine speed parameters, but it will not hold it very long before it shifts back. For that you use Manual.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I'll mess around with the different sport modes and see if I can find the magic mode, I was also using the S3 for high traffic freeway use and it was hanging up 50% of the time, I did experiment with s2 and it seemed to work better but only one short ride, I'll mess around with S1 and S2 and let Y'all know
DB
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:53 PM

I have also noticed that when the engine is cold, it will hold onto the lower gears longer. This seems to be the case regardless of which mode you are in.

I just put it in drive and use the paddle to downshift when I want more power. Most of the time, I am content to just chug around town.
mike5100 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 AM

Depending on how hard you accelerate, the dct will hang onto gears longer if you are accelerating quickly.
In normal acceleration, it shifts at a reasonable point, but changes shift behaviour upon quick acceleration......
In other words, don't crack throttle open, then back off, without getting some unusual shifting points.
It can only guess what you are doing..........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 AM

Give the DCT big enough throttle and it will downshift. Roll off before it upshifts and it will hold that lower gear for a few seconds, resulting in substantial engine braking. Pretty good for squirting in traffic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page