Bike cutting out, on a trip. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wloftin2

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Bike cutting out, on a trip.

On a trip with my brand new ATAS. Yesterday near Moab it started missing like it was starved for fuel. Figured it may be bad gas with water and put in some heet alcohol and ran it today. 15 miles out of Monticello UT. It started missing and would only go 30 mph. Up the hills. So took it in to the Honda shop in Monticello and had it put on the computer. No fault codes came up. So filled up and set out for Durango Co. Ran fine till I got here and it’s startrd up again. The more throttle you give it the more it shuts down. So does this sound familiar with anyone on here? 2019 bike with 2k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:44 AM

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...problem-5.html

See post #48 for a possible reason...

2018 Black AT
Vancouver, BC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:51 PM

A thread I started several weeks ago. Finally got mine back and it is running great now. Many 2018 ATAS have reported the problem, and per my last post, mother Honda covered it under warranty. It is a known issue.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...-vacuum-3.html

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM

It sounds like everyone with a Sport is going to encounter this problem sooner or later. Honda shouldn't be waiting for people to claim under warranty. They should do a recall otherwise people are going to get caught out in the wilds somewhere, or worse have an accident because they can't get past something they were planning to overtake.
Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Well the last 2 days it ran fine. Maybe it was just some bad gas. However I cannot help but think this may crop up again. Went to the Handlebars Honda in Durango and they were nice enough to call Honda and start a warranty claim on it. I’m here in Colorado for a few days visiting and the I’m heading back to north Idaho. Hope it works.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Well coming up the pass into Butte Mt. it did it again. I was going about 35 mph tops on the way up. So much for the bad gas theory. Called the dealer where I bought it and service guy said the problem needs to be duplicated for them to fix it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
Well coming up the pass into Butte Mt. it did it again. I was going about 35 mph tops on the way up. So much for the bad gas theory. Called the dealer where I bought it and service guy said the problem needs to be duplicated for them to fix it.
Have you worked out whether it only happens when the tank is low-ish on fuel. I think I read that people with the lining peeling problem find it's ok with a full tank.
Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:08 PM

I had this same issue on the return leg of a trip from Texas to Deadhorse Alaska. Had it checked out in Canada, they could find no codes and naturally it was running great. Limped back home, after discovering if I turned the bike off, let it sit for as few as 5 min, it would run fine again ( for a while).
Made it home called the dealer where I bought it, they said “ oh my gosh, we’ve not heard of any of the twins having a problem”. I called a dealer I know (about 200 miles away). Speaking with their lead mechanic, “he said it’s the fuel pump”. I hauled it to them, they ordered and installed a new fuel pump, no issues since.
I also blew both fork seals on the Dalton highway, they fixed those under warranty as well.
Bill
2018 ATAS DTC
John Brown likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

The problem seems to occur when the fuel is low and air temperatures high. Also seems to happen after it’s been driven a while. I got it to do it yesterday so I stopped turned off the motor and opened the tank to vent it. It then ran another 30 miles to home before it started doing it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page