Picked up my new ATAS, Bad frame welds/paint, need some advice. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Picked up my new ATAS, Bad frame welds/paint, need some advice.

Hi, I just picked up my new (old stock) 2018 ATAS manual from the dealers (I'm in the UK) yesterday and I absolutely love the bike. I have done 200 miles on it and It looks amazing, it has plenty of power, the brakes and the handling are good for this kind of bike and it is very comfortable. Now on to the problem:

I have spotted a small issue with some of the welds on the frame. There appears to be some small areas of cold lap so there are small gaps around the edges of some of the welds, subsequently the paint coverage is not 100%, ie there are some small cracks/gaps.

I know the obvious answer is take it back to the dealers and let them sort it, but I suspect they will just get it repainted at some backstreet body shop and I don't know how good of a job I'll end up with. This is the first brand new bike I have owned and I intend to keep it for a very long time so I don't want the frame going rusty the first time it gets damp/wet. I am considering getting some touch up paint and treating the areas myself while the bike is still new and hasn't gotten wet yet.

Does anyone know the paint code for the white on the frame of the white/red/blue ATAS?

Anyone have any advice on the best way to handle this situation?

The picture I added is one of the welds on the head stock but there are some others I have spotted around the frame with similar issues.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	49125  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:04 PM

I also noticed some paint imperfections on my 2019 atas. I thought I was being picky, but it looks like I'm not the only one...

I think the white frame makes imperfections more visible
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:05 AM

search in ADV forums - others have had similar and some bikes have been re-framed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsosn View Post
search in ADV forums - others have had similar and some bikes have been re-framed
The idea of my dealer attempting to 're-frame' my bike would fill me with horror. Just imagine how skilled that guy would have to be. I bet even the guys on the production line could not take a completed bike to bits and put it back together correctly.
My standard model 2018 bike has the same kind of issues, and if I wanted it fixed I would demand a new different bike.
But as long as the welds are sound (and from other posts, people think they are), then it's just a matter of thinking through how to keep on top of things. There's a Hammerite paint that sort of matches the graphite frame colour. And Hamerrite's selling point is that you can slap it on rusty painted areas with little preparation and it will stick. I don't know whether it is better or worse to apply Hammerite to sound paint before its rusted. Someone else might comment. And I don't know how good a match the white Smooth Hammerite is to the white frame paint.
The other technique I am trying is to paint the suspect welds with Moly60 grease. It's an OK-ish colour match and as time goes by it seems to become a better match - and it doesn't seem to come off as long as I don't scrub those areas when washing. I would suggest trying a white grease but of course as time goes by the colour match would get worse as it collects fluff and fur.
A big help seems to be a carbon fibre fenda extenda. I'm at 4500 miles now on my bike and hardly anything has been flung against the seriously suspect welds on the frame up behind the forks. (My 2017 bike was a mess here but I didnt fit an extenda to that bike)
Mike
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I visited the dealers today and they took some pictures to send to Honda UK. I didn't have much time there unfortunately, as I had a 45 minute ride after I finished work so I only managed to get there 15 minutes before the dealer closed. At this point everyone was basically waiting to go home, packing things away etc. I have taken some pictures myself that they asked me to send over. I'll see what Honda UK say before I make any decisions on what to do.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM

I have the 2018 ATAS with the white frame. Smooth white hammerite is what I use to touch up chips, its a good match.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM

The solution is to be like the Harley guys here in the states. Trailer it to the event ( Bike Week, Sturgis) park it in front of the bar of your choice, wax it, stand by it and look tough.
The take it home, put it in the garage and tell your friends about your ride.
That way the bike will never get wet and you don't have to worry about rust!
gvmumbral, jamnut, Invin and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:31 AM

I have had 3 new Africa Twin Adventure Sports bikes within a . year.. 2 x 2018 Anniversary models and just got a new 2019 model 5 days ago. The welding on this 2019 model is in a completely different class. it's finally been done correctly..
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Well I received phone call from the dealers today and apparently my defects are "within spec", I'm not sure what Honda UK's specs are but they are definitely different to my idea of what is acceptable on a brand new £12000 motorcycle. Here are some more pictures. I'll let you all make your own minds up. No wonder so many Africa twins are rusting so quickly if this is Honda's idea of "within spec". :/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190701_142214.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	49169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_142125.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	49171   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_141916.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	49173   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_094813.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	49181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_094429.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	49183  

Name:	20190701_094341.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	49185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_094312.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	49187  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammit View Post
I have had 3 new Africa Twin Adventure Sports bikes within a . year.. 2 x 2018 Anniversary models and just got a new 2019 model 5 days ago. The welding on this 2019 model is in a completely different class. it's finally been done correctly..
As a side note, I took a look at the dealers 19 tri-colour demo bike that is left out in the rain sometimes and the frame is already starting to rust in a few places. Though the welds did seem to be of a higher standard with no obvious signs of cold lap or cracking around the edges.

Last edited by HatNeil; 07-02-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in