Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of buying a new bike from Honda. - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 37Likes

post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:40 PM

I know of one person with an AT rather than an ATAS who had the problem with bad welds/paint. Is there anyone outside of the UK with this problem? Is there anyone outside of the UK with the ATAS crud in the tank problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Don't know about the frame welds. But the ATAS crud in the tank is here in the US. I've not experienced it (yet). But I know a guy locally who had the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detjen View Post
I know of one person with an AT rather than an ATAS who had the problem with bad welds/paint. Is there anyone outside of the UK with this problem? Is there anyone outside of the UK with the ATAS crud in the tank problem?

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:25 AM

Call me old fashioned if you want.

But am I the only one who before i handed over the better part of 12,000 went out the back of the dealership to where the bike with my name on it was being stored to have a good look at it. in it. under it. and so on. For a good half hour I went all over it. I was looking mostly for "In Transit" and "In Dealership" damage.. scuff marks. and so on. But also taking in the bikes construction. I saw no problems then and i have no problems today just over a year later.

Seems just a bit daft to me to spend these kinds of moneys and not bother checking for flaws. Especially flaws as photographed. And so having the option from the start to reject the bike. Before any money changes hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatNeil View Post
I had owned the bike for 2 days and was absolutely loving the bike, when I started to notice some pretty serious defects with the quality of the paint finish, and more importantly the welds on the frame (particularly concentrated around the head stock area!).
what?
zippysworld likes this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:22 AM

I live in the USA and had the tank crud problem last summer on my 2019 atas. I’m not the only one as there are lots of affected bikes outside of the UK with this problem.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:42 PM

I hate crud ,so just ad more paint & no more crud, problem solved
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM

I have had problems with: paint, welds, gas tank - fuel pump, front suspension, spokes, etc. I, quite frankly, have not researched other bikes' quality, but IMHO only an 'idi**/ignorant buyer' would buy a Honda AT/ATAS these days with all these problems being well documented. I have had and well ridden my Honda XR650R since 2002 with absolutely NO problems. The AT is a piece of cr**, again IMHO. Yes, I am angry and yes, I spent $15K hard earned money for something I even hate to look at at this point. The bike has spent 1/3 of it's life in shops being worked on or waiting for parts.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Hi hatneil, please let us know what the welding and painting specs are once you find out. I would love to know. Thank you.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda777 View Post
I have had problems with: paint, welds, gas tank - fuel pump, front suspension, spokes, etc. I, quite frankly, have not researched other bikes' quality, but IMHO only an 'idi**/ignorant buyer' would buy a Honda AT/ATAS these days with all these problems being well documented. I have had and well ridden my Honda XR650R since 2002 with absolutely NO problems. The AT is a piece of cr**, again IMHO. Yes, I am angry and yes, I spent $15K hard earned money for something I even hate to look at at this point. The bike has spent 1/3 of it's life in shops being worked on or waiting for parts.

Thats gotta suck. I have the same feeling about the Scrambler 1200XE I owned. Had to let it go after 3 months (and to this day I can't stand even looking at one). Lost over 5-6000$ to trade it in for an AT, but have had 10000km of trouble free riding on my 2019 AT since (fingers crossed). Getting a lemon always sucks. These are expensive toys and should only require the basic maintenance.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 PM

Speedo007, I am coming to a conclusion that my bike is not a lemon at all. There would have been hundreds of lemons - Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I am very happy for you and your 2019 AT and hope you will cover many more trouble free kilometers.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda777 View Post
Speedo007, I am coming to a conclusion that my bike is not a lemon at all. There would have been hundreds of lemons - Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I am very happy for you and your 2019 AT and hope you will cover many more trouble free kilometers.

Its hard to say how many have issues, cause obviously people having them will be very vocal about it (and rightfully so). But others have put 200000km on them pretty much trouble free. I think they clearly have a quality control problems at Honda. Even if it's just 5-10% of bikes affected, its more than it should be at that price. Like the rusting wheels, Honda knew about it since 2016, but waited until 2018 or 2019 to use stainless spokes. Before buying mine I had the mechanics inspect the welds and paint, and before taking the keys I also inspected it, so far so good. I've seen some bikes with horrendous welds and paint jobs...I'll be curious to see if they've solved everything on the 2020...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page