Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of buying a new bike from Honda. - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 37Likes

post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
Looking at all these complaints, it appears that the majority of the paint/rust/corrosion issues are from places where it's wet a lot, like Britain, and the bikes stay wet because you guys ride in all weather. Bikes that went to drier places may or may not be built the same, but the problem is not so apparent. Also the crud in the tank seems to be "mostly" on 2018 ATAS models. Not sure if there's a geographical area that got a bad production run, or a supplier had a bad process on ATAS tanks, or what. One would assume that after having to warranty all those tanks and fuel pumps, Honda would have gotten to the bottom of it.

People living near the sea are definitely putting their bike through harsher conditions, but I've seen many reports of owners that had their wheels rust on their new AT while their 20 year old honda didn't have a spec of rust. Different bikes in the same environment. Up here in Canada they cover the roads in salt from November to March, so early in Spring when roads are wet and salty its a nasty mess. I've put 70000km on my Triumph Scrambler including in those conditions, and there was absolutely no rust to be seen on the bike. Because of the reports of rust on the AT, I've ACF'ed the heck out of it and made sure to thoroughly clean it before winter storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
I've seen many reports of owners that had their wheels rust on their new AT while their 20 year old honda didn't have a spec of rust..
That´s the main point , materials for few reasons (like : environement and costs ) are not the same of 1999 or 1979 , not that difficult to understand.

my garage: Honda cbr1000rr 04 - cbr1000rr sp 14 - cbr1000rr sp2 17 - cb1000r 15 - cb1000r+18 - vfr1200f 11 - cre500SM - Goldwing GL1800 2018 -ATAS DCT ES 20 - NC750X DCT 19_- BMW S1000r 18 - Suzuki gsx-s1000 16- gsx-s 1000 19-- gsxr 1000 k2-k5 - Yamaha mt10 16 - mt10 SP 17 - mt09SP 2018 - tracer 900 2017 - aprilia tuono 1100 factory- Zero SR 16 - Kawasaki H2 SXSE 19 - KTM SD 1290 GT 19 ,Few (12) gsx-r sacs 88/92
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
That´s the main point , materials for few reasons (like : environement and costs ) are not the same of 1999 or 1979 , not that difficult to understand.

Absolutely but then the bike should rather cost what Yamahas cost, as their finishes are lower quality, yet Hondas still cost shitloads of money, it's one or the other, you can't have the butter and the money of the butter as we say in french.

Having said that I had never any of my yamis in 10 years have a spot of rust and while yamis gearboxes aren't the best, none let me down like the Honda did, so yes I might be of the few unlucky people, but as everyone says, the main problem is the lack of seriousness from customer services, if they had taken this seriously I would still be a Honda customer.

Again for me you can't talk about these issues being lemons, because bad paint/welds and rust/corrosion, is cutting corners for money on material, it's not like having a bike that has electrical or engine misshaps because it was the last bike of the week and is a lemon, because something went wrong in assembly.
Because as Honda says crappy welds are in specs, basically they themselves tell you they cut corners and that you have to accept it, they don't talk about lemons at all.

Anyway they'll sell many 2020 and time will tell if they learned something from the early ATs and ATAS, hopefully for customers they will.
Ratbrain likes this.

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades

Last edited by Djairouks; 12-05-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
Honda legendary quality is long time gone now. Welds are not the only cost cutting signs in AT. There are quite few well known. All is race to the bottom and not just Honda.

I do understand your frustration and some of these look quite bad. However what exactly you have expected Honda to do? Strip the bike, redo all the welds, paint the frame again and bolt on everything back? Even if they agree, if I were you I'd prefer not to. At least because I would not have trust to any Honda garage do that job properly on my 2 days old bike.

Just ride the thing and do not look that close at it. It actually rides well and I doubt you can see any of these badly done welds while you are behind the bars.
Honda have replaced numerous frames & a few bikes world wide for this same issue, Honda is well a where of this problem, glad Ive got a 16 model, no issues with quality at all except for minor corrosion on the spokes which were replaced with out any trouble under warranty
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
My AT looks fine so far, then again it has only been 10 days

I usually buy new or nearly new and my turnover is very high so I have never had a single problem ever.
Crossing my fingers though as I have two new Hondas and expect to keep the AT, at least, for many years to come.
Cuchulainn likes this.

New Motorcycle Show on YouTube
Picking up my new Africa Twin AS DCT ES+
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 10:58 PM

Garage
That is pretty rough luck HatNeil. I would be perturbed as well.

A good dealer would empathize with you and draw up an action plan, period.

Sharing your experience with the Forum has generously educated us to be a bit more vigilant when taking delivery of any vehicle.

Riding is good therapy.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairyDog View Post
some of the problems a friend has had with his Tiger.

Frequent stalling issues.
Faulty seized rear suspension.
Overheating engine.
Engine oil leaks.
Idle control malfunction.
Side stand issues.
Gearbox and gear change issues.
Friend of mine had all these issues. Yet he is in his third Explorer as the dealer solved everyting all the time. So he became loyal to Triumph through the below par reliability and the excellent after sales. Sounds crazy but it is the case
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox966 View Post
Friend of mine had all these issues. Yet he is in his third Explorer as the dealer solved everyting all the time. So he became loyal to Triumph through the below par reliability and the excellent after sales. Sounds crazy but it is the case
So hopefully I'll either have no issues on mine or great service, would some arise.

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 12:58 PM

It seems everything on my ATAS is clearcoated to protect it. I rode to a friends Christmas party, and they ended it by giving everyone cans of silly string to play with on the way out. I don't know how many of you have encountered it - but the silly string is kept liquid in the can by a solvent that you want to keep off painted surfaces - it really eats clearcoat and vinyl. Well when I went outside they were doing it around my motorcycle, and had already gotten some on it. I was nice and asked them to stay away from it while I picked it off. I went inside to wash my hands off - and they were dark blue from the color it had taken off of my seat. Some people were concerned about it as I mentioned that it has a solvent in it so they'll want to get it off their cars tonight. When I went back outside - someone had thought it would be funny to bury my motorcycle under the crap. It was a good thing I didn't catch him doing it - because I'd have laid him out. I picked the stuff off again, had someone watch my bike while I got wet paper towels and cleaned it enough to sit on it (I didn't get it clean enough and ruined my pants). It was all over the seat, tank, engine, brake dics, chain... I'm still feeling like putting someone's face through the pavement for it. Even though it was close to freezing I washed the bike when I got home. In the daylight the next morning I picked out some that I had missed.

So now if my rims, cases, swingarm, engine, or anything else that is clearcoated starts to rust - I won't be able to say if it is a problem with the bike - or just a testament to keep idiots with silly string away from your bike.

It makes me wonder though, because I've seen many people mess up their clearcoat on their cars because of what they were using to clean them - what are the people with corroding wheels using to clean them? Is it possible they used a cleaner too abrasive or that has a chemical which shouldn't be used on them?
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 03:58 AM

Neither of my Africa Twins has had clearcoat applied either by Honda or by the dealer.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page