The DCT and you.... - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: What “basic” selection do you use?
Manual 3 4.62%
Automatic 16 24.62%
“Sport” mode 51 78.46%
“Drive” mode 14 21.54%
For the most part it dose good. 19 29.23%
Not alway happy with it’s gear selection. 5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

27Likes

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:44 PM

Sure, it is a great twist and go scooter! I wouldn't have bought the AT if it was only offered with a manual clutch and transmission. I have had several bikes with the DCT transmission and they just keep getting better and better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywilma View Post
Expensive Scooter..
How is your "graunchy" old style gearbox?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 PM

I am 60 years old with a 2018 ATAS DCT and being new to off road l was drawn to the fact you cannot stall it. On the black stuff l like that it has every option open to you. D mode is all but useless with the exception of slow town stuff. I ride mostly in Sport mode three but like that you can change mode as you ride with the flick of your right thumb. Then you have all the options to change gear with your left hand. For slow manovers l apply the rear break as well as throttle which gives me all the finess of a clutch l could ever need, sitting or standing. It's an awesome machine which seems to fit all scenarios l come across on and off road. I think Honda have engineered a good bike and after 40+ years of riding l won't be going back to a clutch and foot gear change any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilNewnham View Post
I am 60 years old with a 2018 ATAS DCT and being new to off road l was drawn to the fact you cannot stall it. On the black stuff l like that it has every option open to you. D mode is all but useless with the exception of slow town stuff. I ride mostly in Sport mode three but like that you can change mode as you ride with the flick of your right thumb. Then you have all the options to change gear with your left hand. For slow manovers l apply the rear break as well as throttle which gives me all the finess of a clutch l could ever need, sitting or standing. It's an awesome machine which seems to fit all scenarios l come across on and off road. I think Honda have engineered a good bike and after 40+ years of riding l won't be going back to a clutch and foot gear change any time soon.
Funny people ask me if I miss shifting or if it feels weird not to shift. I honestly don’t notice it’s gone... been riding since I was 7 and I’m 53 now so shifting was not even a thought when I had a clutch.. it was just something my hands and foot did, after all these years it was just automatic/muscle memory. Yea my right hand still relaxes and opens up a bit especially when slowing down and pretty much my left toe will go out and wait to be put onto the shifter that is NOT there. I imagine they will for a while... but miss it, no, I never really actively thought about shifting, so really how could I miss it.....

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTwin View Post
How is your "graunchy" old style gearbox?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Like butter, Adjusted and linear and gets better with every mile,
absolutely sublime....
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 PM

AT Dragon, Very good point I must say..
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
I never really actively thought about shifting, so really how could I miss it.....
I agree with this. Shifting is more an instinctual / muscle memory thing. I never really got great pleasure out of doing it, you just do it without spending a lot of time thinking about it. shifting, not shifting. Sometimes I take one route to work, sometimes another. I don't really have a great preference and don't miss the one route when I take the other
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 AM

I would have loved to buy the DCT version, at the end of day, the relative simplicity of the old manual gearbox won me over. A lot of components need to work as intended for DCT to function. Add the high number of pages covering DCT in the AT shop manual compare to manual gearbox and the posts on the forum about undocumented features of the DCT. As I only ride for pleasure and as I say, I am happy to trade the DCT benefits, to keep things simple. Having said this, I accept the DCT is an incredible tool.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCollington View Post
I would have loved to buy the DCT version, at the end of day, the relative simplicity of the old manual gearbox won me over. A lot of components need to work as intended for DCT to function. Add the high number of pages covering DCT in the AT shop manual compare to manual gearbox and the posts on the forum about undocumented features of the DCT. As I only ride for pleasure and as I say, I am happy to trade the DCT benefits, to keep things simple. Having said this, I accept the DCT is an incredible tool.
I whole heartily agree with you it was and is a concern for me too, it is a lot of things to go right (or wrong) to make it work. But I may add there are also quite a few things to go wrong on the bike as a whole too. There are quite a few “sensors” and other electronics on the throttle by wire to get it to work. In the end tho it didn’t scare me off - most, if not all the stuff on the bike that’s need for it to run are off the shelf parts used on other bikes and been around for a while, including the DCT itself, yea the firmware is new but not the general design of the DCT. Let’s not even mention the EFI components - So unfortunately this bike is anything but simple, yea the DCT adds a few more complexity’s to it but it’s still not simple.

I will say that this is one of the first brand new bikes that I went in knowing and planning on a extended warranty, I got 5yrs total, just for my own pice of mind - a expect the best but plan for the worst scenario...
RayCollington likes this.

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 07-20-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:27 PM

As for longevity, we have a CTX700 with the DCT. It now has over 40k miles and still going strong. It has been pretty much coast to coast twice and all up down the Pacific Coast Highway multiple times. I used to commute on it from Laguna Beach to San Francisco every week (down on Monday up on Friday) with the throttle pretty much pinned WFO to keep up with traffic on the 5.

The bike has been bullet proof other than a flat battery. It was because of that bike and how reliable it and the DCT was that I bought the AT. The CTX went to my son who has been riding it as his sole transportation. He has done the last 15k of the 40k currently on it.

I hope the AT will be just as reliable.
AT-Dragon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page