The DCT and you.... - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: What “basic” selection do you use?
Manual 3 4.84%
Automatic 16 25.81%
“Sport” mode 49 79.03%
“Drive” mode 13 20.97%
For the most part it dose good. 18 29.03%
Not alway happy with it’s gear selection. 4 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

27Likes

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCollington View Post
I would have loved to buy the DCT version, at the end of day, the relative simplicity of the old manual gearbox won me over. A lot of components need to work as intended for DCT to function. Add the high number of pages covering DCT in the AT shop manual compare to manual gearbox and the posts on the forum about undocumented features of the DCT. As I only ride for pleasure and as I say, I am happy to trade the DCT benefits, to keep things simple. Having said this, I accept the DCT is an incredible tool.

With that logic we should kill the starter motor, fuel injection, abs, radiators etc.....

One should not be afraid to move with the cheese, just don't do so blindly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
D is just to useless for me. I run my 2018 in S3 for the snappy throttle I like. Coming to the AT from a super sport touring bike, it has taken a bit to get used to but I love it.
AT-Dragon likes this.

2018 AT DCT Black
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Talton View Post
D is just to useless for me. I run my 2018 in S3 for the snappy throttle I like. Coming to the AT from a super sport touring bike, it has taken a bit to get used to but I love it.
Yea it seems for the poll results so far it’s not used much - mine will short shift through the gears - one would think that putting the bike in “D” & “urban” mode would keep that from happening but in actuality all the different “modes” have the exact shifting timing the only thing that changes between say D-Touring & D-Urban is the P-EB-T levels they are just presets for them... now of corse sport mode changes the **** “timing” but even there the Urban,Tour, etc are still just presets for the power engine braking & torque...

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Request View Post
With that logic we should kill the starter motor, fuel injection, abs, radiators etc.....

One should not be afraid to move with the cheese, just don't do so blindly.
I don't agree, the items you mention are different in that they are essential. As a retired truck engineer, I spent far too much time dealing with automated manual transmission issues. Most of these admittedly relating to the operation of the clutch. I also know many engineers who work in the vehicle industry customer support roles who have all bought manual transmission vehicles when retiring. I accept their place in the world and the benefits they bring. The DCT for me, as only a leisure rider, was unnecessary complexity, I also wanted to avoid some of the issues raised by off road riders.

I don't think the first mouse gets the cheese, the second mouse usually gets it.

I wish you many trouble free miles on your DCT!
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:39 PM

The second mouse may get the cheese, but the ones still hanging out around the den will never get to taste it.

We have seen many innovations come along with everybody clamoring onto the old tried and true. I don't recall it being long ago that people were worried about radiators on an off road bike, just another failure point. While that may be the case it is a failure point that allows 30 HP where 15 was the max on the air cooled variety.

I could go on and on. While some of them do bust, most are making a positive impact on the machines we ride today.

BTW the DCT is not an automatic transmission!
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Torque Request does have a point, the DCT are technically auto shifting manual transmissions, there’s a servo attached to the shifter and to the two servos to two clutches . Same transmission in the manual but it’s got the foot lever and one clutch with a cable - Basically that is

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 07-24-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 PM

Ok Ima throw my 2c in here - offroad I can't fault the AT DCT considering its size ( I use gravel mode, rear ABS off, traction control off and manual shifting). On road while hauling a$$, I use manual and the revs. Great stuff. Trouble is, most of my commute involves lane splitting and traffic navigation. I'm not gonna mix my words here - its a pig. It has me yearning for a clutch lever - I just want to be able to modulate the power to the rear wheel with the throttle AND clutch. Trouble is, my AT is very lumpy on low rpm (I even have stalling issues when motor is not up to temp - no fun when you've just split to the front of a thousand angry cagers waiting at a traffic light!). It spoils what is a fun bike. Another quirk I hate (and off topic unfortunately) is when the I crest a rise and the steering goes light. The bars slap like a mofo. I already have tapered steering bearings and I dont want to fit a damper.
RayCollington likes this.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoma View Post
Ok Ima throw my 2c in here - offroad I can't fault the AT DCT considering its size ( I use gravel mode, rear ABS off, traction control off and manual shifting). On road while hauling a$$, I use manual and the revs. Great stuff. Trouble is, most of my commute involves lane splitting and traffic navigation. I'm not gonna mix my words here - its a pig. It has me yearning for a clutch lever - I just want to be able to modulate the power to the rear wheel with the throttle AND clutch. Trouble is, my AT is very lumpy on low rpm (I even have stalling issues when motor is not up to temp - no fun when you've just split to the front of a thousand angry cagers waiting at a traffic light!). It spoils what is a fun bike. Another quirk I hate (and off topic unfortunately) is when the I crest a rise and the steering goes light. The bars slap like a mofo. I already have tapered steering bearings and I dont want to fit a damper.
100% with you... you just have no finesse - I’d go as far and say the whole set up would be perfect IF you had a clutch lever and you could manually override the clutch that is engaged a “clutch by wire’ option..
I haven’t noticed any bar slap at zero G but i do get some when I transition from positive torque to negative and it’s not really noticeable just happened upon it when I let go of the bars to fix my gloves...

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:11 AM

Ive ridden bikes for past 26 years on and offroad, as soon as i tested the AT DCT i fell in love! So much so i swapped my 3 month old Tiger 1200 in for a new one. Its a great feeling being on the DCT slow speed is great, standing, sporty of normal riding i cant pick fault.
Cuchulainn and AT-Dragon like this.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Maybe it's not a question of fault, more one of personal preference for the type of person we are and the riding we do. My decision to stay with manual has deprived me of all the DCT benefits and all possible future DCT maintenance challenges when the bike gets older that can accompany higher complexity (as explained in the AT DCT shop manual). I am an old boy and want a simple as possible life, were I younger I would have DCT no question.

Will be interesting to see what the new CRF850 and CRF1100 transmission options are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page