Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/113-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-general-discussion-forum/)
-   -   The DCT and you.... (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/113-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-general-discussion-forum/35639-dct-you.html)

AT-Dragon 07-14-2019 10:25 AM

The DCT and you....

First off let me say I do love the DCT, yes it has some shortcomings but all in all I think it works pretty good and with time Honda will make it better.
Now with that said - It lacks finesse and probability never will have it, with the DCT it’s pretty much an all or nothing deal. Yes it will (at the right setting) stop rear wheel spin. But it does it absolutely and abruptly there’s no “middle” ground like with a clutch where you keep your RPM’s up but put very little power to the wheel. Sure it’s a real bit of a learning cure for us older riders “switching hands” as it were for absolute control of the drive from the left had to your right (clutch control to throttle control) and on the DCT it is ALL about throttle control. Tho I’m sure with time the old habits/muscle memory of manual clutch riding will give way and I’m sure I’ll be able to coax even more finesse to the rear wheel than I already do, I don’t think it will never be as much as you can get from a clutch, but, that’s were years of experience in off road kick in. Reading the line, surface, and traction to make up the slight shortcomings of the DCT.

With that said I would like to as the DCT owners in this poll about you normally use the DCT...

Torque Request 07-14-2019 11:07 AM

First off I have no lack of finesse concerns or unusual jerkiness at low speeds, If I am smooth it is smooth. I do wish it would downshift sooner. It seams to need near WOT to give you a gear. I installed a G2 throttle tube to help and it certainly has, however I have conceded to pushing the button whenever I really want the gear.

AT-Dragon 07-14-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque Request (Post 307641)
First off I have no lack of finesse concerns or unusual jerkiness at low speeds, If I am smooth it is smooth. I do wish it would downshift sooner. It seams to need near WOT to give you a gear. I installed a G2 throttle tube to help and it certainly has, however I have conceded to pushing the button whenever I really want the gear.

My point being it’s a set amount EVERY time sure you can set the time at when you want it it kick in, especially on the 18’s and above because of the throttle by wire. But they are set amounts and as such, of course, is not going to fit every situation off road. There is just no way to get the same variable amount from just the throttle as opposed to both the throttle AND the clutch. Say for example going up and down a series of different sloped hills one you might want to take one at 4000rpm and just go up and the next at 4000rpm but feathering the clutch a bit to reduce the power to the wheel but keep most of your speed. You are not going to stop at each hill and adjust the “P” & “T” levels on a DCT. Can you find a setting that will generally work in the conditions you are riding in, sure, especially on the newer AT’s. I brought this bike knowing that.
You say “pushing the button whenever I really want the gear” funny my 18 ATAS will NOT always let me go up a gear when in “auto” in sport mode it runs in 4th gear at 45mph and will NOT allow me to shift to 5th hit 46mph and it will but not 45mph... BUT put it in just “drive” mode and at 35mph it is in 6th gear...
Lol “DRIVE” mode is pretty much useless in my book - that “mode” short shifts worse than any rookie rider ever could.

Torque Request 07-14-2019 09:36 PM

First I must qualify, I have a 17. It seams we may have different ridding style/terrain. I don't commute much so If I am riding, I am riding.

I honestly don't think that I have ever pressed the upshift button.... I am always looking for the lower gear on acceleration, say accelerating out of a tight hairpin or passing on the two lane.

AT-Dragon 07-17-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque Request (Post 307693)
First I must qualify, I have a 17. It seams we may have different ridding style/terrain. I don't commute much so If I am riding, I am riding.

I honestly don't think that I have ever pressed the upshift button.... I am always looking for the lower gear on acceleration, say accelerating out of a tight hairpin or passing on the two lane.

Yea the trannys are a bit different in that the firmware changed (as far as I know the actual transmission is exactly the same)
18’s and above with the new throttle by wire have more modes to choose from.
Honestly “drive” mode is useless for me, on my ATAS it literally has me in 6th gear in about 300ft from my starting point and at 35mph.. a little over half of my commute is 35mph roads. Although I’ve never actually timed it - I would say that in ‘drive” mode it literally spends around 3 seconds in each gear and just short shifts it’s way to 5th or 6th.
Really no big deal IF the road you’re on is 45mph or faster - but having the bike in 6th at 35mph is just plain annoying.
Lol, I guess, in the end, I can really just blame this annoyance on my slow roads to work...

Wavshrdr 07-17-2019 09:11 PM

I have a 2018. Unless I am in a real hurry, I just leave it in D. My fuel economy is definitely better that way. If I am in a more aggressive mood I'll use S1 or S3. If a lot of twisty turns and I'm riding aggressively I go with the manual mode. So about 80-90% of my riding ends up being in just plan ol' D.

I have noticed it is fairly responsive to down shifts when in D but it seems to be more of a function of how quickly I twist the throttle and/or if WOT. The DCT is what prompted me to buy the AT anyway and so far I am very happy with it. I have a 1260 Multistrada and a S1000XR ADV bikes and I have maybe only put 500 miles on them since buying my AT AS. That is a good indicator of how much I just enjoy riding the AT.

AT-Dragon 07-17-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavshrdr (Post 307955)
I have a 2018. Unless I am in a real hurry, I just leave it in D. My fuel economy is definitely better that way. If I am in a more aggressive mood I'll use S1 or S3. If a lot of twisty turns and I'm riding aggressively I go with the manual mode. So about 80-90% of my riding ends up being in just plan ol' D.

I have noticed it is fairly responsive to down shifts when in D but it seems to be more of a function of how quickly I twist the throttle and/or if WOT. The DCT is what prompted me to buy the AT anyway and so far I am very happy with it. I have a 1260 Multistrada and a S1000XR ADV bikes and I have maybe only put 500 miles on them since buying my AT AS. That is a good indicator of how much I just enjoy riding the AT.

A good portion of my commute roads are 35mph, so D just doesn’t work for me for my dally commute, but I totally agree with you on the fuel economy point IF I could use D more often my fuel efficiency would be waaaayy better. Because D is all about getting to high gears as quick as possible and giving you the BEST fuel economy it possibly can...

Im_Too_Tired 07-17-2019 11:29 PM

Just bought my '18 ATAS a couple weeks ago and while I appreciate the great gas mileage in D, sport mode is a necessity for survival.

Wavshrdr 07-19-2019 10:43 AM

Well the great thing about the DCT is you can quickly override with the trigger shifters. I find that to be far faster than even using S3.

I do a lot of running at 90+ mph on the freeways here and I really only have a choice of 5 or 6th at that speed anyway. I am already at a RPM in 6th that it is pulling pretty well. Obviously if I am in 6th at 60 mph I need to drop at least 2-3 gears to get any serious pull.

harleywilma 07-19-2019 01:45 PM

Expensive Scooter..