dropped the AFrica twin for the first time - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking dropped the AFrica twin for the first time

I droped the bike on saturday after 300 miles of riding in southrn california on PCH and Mulholland drive and Angele Crest. such a stufid drop.zero speed complete stopped, on side stand ,while stoped on dirt whant to come off the bike , fell on me, a little scrathes to the fairing blue and white and red stickers on front fairing , broken right side knukle ghard and 2-3 blemish on the alternator cover,not deep , but looks like scrathes.
it is Painfull as it looked like brand new , my 2017 tri color RED-BLUE-White DCT, and more painful as I bought complete protection such as engine guard and light bar,radiator guard , front light coverd, and bark busters , but i was going to instal them on sunday.
I can fix the chip and niks of fairing stickers, as Plastic not damaged at all I will try just placing similar color tape if i found them ,damages are like sevral no more than half an inch on the red and blue stickers, any help to identify color code of those stickers greatly appreciated , if i am not able to locate them on web as a set i will order local vinyl wrap place just to cut for me like a 5 inches of each and will use them as cover to the damaged sticker, but probably they need color code of that, then I will completely order protection film for complete cover and place the engine guard and light bar.
I also need to do some thing for ALternator Cover, (WHAT WOULD BE YOUR SUGGESTION PLEASE?)
for fairing and tank and other area protction I have seen 3 D DEcal stickers mostly on EBAY from Europe , which I probably order complete set since I saw one on a local bike and realy looked cool, but could not find the complete set for my color bike, if you can direct me to the link I apptrecaite ,
The alternator cover is sold on honda dealershop web site for under $ 150 if I need to replace it , but I have no idea how much work is involvedin changing that,
Please share with me what your thaughts are to fix these cosmetic issues on a brnad new looking 2017 Africa Twin DCT tricolor red/bue/white ?
Thank you
Ride Safe/Ride Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Welllllll, I guess it depends on how you plan to ride the bike. If your buying all that protection it sounds like you plan to take it off road a bit. If so, your gonna drop it again.
Just road about 450 miles this past weekend and now have a broken right mirror as well as bent bars. For full disclosure, my buddies KTM1290 fell over onto my AT and knocked it over it wasn't a riding crash.
Since i don't have the $200 to fix the bars I'll just order a new mirror and keep riding.

I guess what I'm saying is, Shits gonna happen and it can get really pricey fixing every scratch.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:58 PM

Try the Heed bars out of Poland. I have them as do numerous others, and they not only look good, but the anchoring locations are all solid. My bike got dropped multiple times over the weekend of Off-Road training, and not a mark on the bike itself anywhere.
CRider, Speedo007, ak864 and 1 others like this.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuono07 View Post
Welllllll, I guess it depends on how you plan to ride the bike. If your buying all that protection it sounds like you plan to take it off road a bit. If so, your gonna drop it again.
Just road about 450 miles this past weekend and now have a broken right mirror as well as bent bars. For full disclosure, my buddies KTM1290 fell over onto my AT and knocked it over it wasn't a riding crash.
Since i don't have the $200 to fix the bars I'll just order a new mirror and keep riding.

I guess what I'm saying is, Shits gonna happen and it can get really pricey fixing every scratch.

I completely agree this is a bike to ride off road and not to pamper it.The first scratches are always painful thou.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFMoore View Post
Try the Heed bars out of Poland. I have them as do numerous others, and they not only look good, but the anchoring locations are all solid. My bike got dropped multiple times over the weekend of Off-Road training, and not a mark on the bike itself anywhere.
I agree I have heed on my other bike and it is functioning well, for the AT I bought TREX which is really sturdy , but It was not installed at the time of drop.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 AM

Shrug claim it on insurance I did the same thing with my VFR800 dropped it in the shed I didn't have a problem making a claim
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM

I dropped mine at 300 miles at a stop, and the only damage was a few scratches on the pegs and bar end. Oh, and a broken bone in my foot.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Heed bars on mine too!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:23 PM

I got my bars after I dropped it the very first day I had it. Driving a fire road, pulled off, put my foot down and my foot slid right out from under me. Feel like I have to have these, as I do a LOT of Off Road, but these **** ALTRider bars have a nasty vibration in them when I get high in the rev range. BUT,. I have dropped it twice more (at rest on trails) and no more damage.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
Only two kinds of real motorcycle riders, those who have dropped their bike, and those who will drop their bike.... At my age,73, I know beyond any doubt that I can not pick my bike up. But when on the asphalt folks seem to always come running to help me pick up the bike. Now when in the dirt that is another story. So, I use the MOTOBIKEJACK. Extra 8 1/2 pounds, but at my age I have to carry it in the rear trunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page