DCT or trusty clutch? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 35Likes

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCycle View Post
One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how great the DCT is for packing a passenger. No helmet bonking. Passenger doesn't get rocked around at every shift. She can enjoy the ride better because she doesn't have to spend as much attention anticipating those shifts.
No disrespect intended for the American that posted this, but this side of the pond this definitely contains a certain amount of "double entendre" if you read whilst thinking along the lines of Captain Pugwash.
ProCycle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Truly depends on how aggressive you ride and how often you'd be changing riding environments. I'm almost 50yo now and have NO plans of aggressive trail riding (i'm coming from 35+ years of strictly ATV riding) and my rocky, muddy, tear everything up days are over. Have 1,500 miles on my DCT now and it's working very well for me. If you put the hammer down it won't always shift the way you would with a regular clutch and gets kind of notchy. On gravel roads, woods trails and paved roads at old guy speeds the DCT is a dream and no worries about stalling. But I would say if you'll be climbing, picking around stumps/rocks and wanting to pull a wheelie - the standard clutch would be better.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:46 PM

I really would suggest you try both before buying. I have 2 friends with DCT ATAS's and they love the DCT box but when I rode one of their bikes, I didnt much like the DCT. Specifically I didnt feel as much in control at slow speeds as with a clutch and manual gearbox. I ended up buying a manual ATAS and dont regret it one bit especially as I saved a few pounds both in money and weight terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:55 PM

Short test ride will not always be enough as it takes a bit used to it with DCT to get fully on board.

For me, anything above 6 MPH DCT is all advantages. It is fast, smooth and has 5 different modes to choose (drive, 3 sport and manual). In auto modes, most of the time it changes gears without noticing and exactly when I would do it. For purists, there is fully manual mode and it can be overridden any time with the paddle shifters. You can also have foot gear lever (extra accessory) if you really want to and seriously no one can convince me manual with clutch can be any better.

Although there is an advantage you cannot stall, I do struggle with the very slow riding (under 6 MPH). In this situation DCT does not feel natural as you have to work against the clutch engagement with the rear brake. It takes practice, but never feels "right" to me. Having a bit snatchy throttle and being quite heavy bike do not help either. I heard with the new throttle by wire and latest DCT iteration things are better, but never tried by myself. My bike is 2017 so it is the old system.

To me the DCT makes the Africa Twin stands out from the crowd. There is no other make offering such option and no quick shifter can hold a candle to what DCT can do for the gear changes. If I need to make a choice again, it would be DCT no doubt.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 AM

Depends where you want to do most of your riding. IMO manual is better for the road, and DCT for the dirt - unless you are doing real slow technical stuff. I tend to do pretty much 50/50 and have the manual. I'm very happy with the manual version, but having ridden a mate's DCT off-road, I found myself wishing I'd got the DCT.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:12 AM

The only reason I purchased the DCT model was price, as in I got a really good deal on it. I've been riding for 50 years and struggled with the idea of not shifting on my own, even my cars are manuals. I figured if I didn't find the DCT to be to my liking I could sell it for a small loss and move on. I even kept my V-strom to have the option of shifting when I wanted. Bottom line, the V-strom has been ridden twice in the last 4 months, and that was only because I wanted to give it exercise. Count me as a convert as in I would buy the DCT again in a heart beat, it's that good for my usage. 90% of my riding is done on back roads with a mix of dirt and tar and I run my 2017 in S2 and the bike is always ready to respond. So much fun twisting the throttle and listening to that intake honk as the bike pulls like a train with the front end hovering just above the road and the DCT shifting up faster and smoother than you ever could. Yes there is a down side, the bike can't read the road the same as I can and I always used to down shift going into corners to use the engine braking to control my speed. You can downshift with the paddles, but it's no the same as a well executed dance with a manual. My wife who rides behind me on her own bike even commented that I use the brakes more with the DCT. But it's a small trade off.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:09 AM

Manual. I rode the DCT, and didn't like it's shift points. I loved the automatic transmission on a Burgman 650 I owned - but it was a CVT so it never actually shifted. Ride both though if you can. I've heard you need to learn to ride to the DCT's shift points and that it is better offroad than a manual - but I don't know how true those are.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 AM

After reading all the above threads is shall comment as follows:

I had the 2017 manual white for 2 years now. Did not get the DCT in 2017 since I also felt it to be a bit notchy with low speed shifts & slow clutch riding..

I am no stranger DCT I have had a VFR1200F DCT 2012 model for 7years now & you need to learn how to ride it smoothly.. But it is rewarding in sport mode auto especially in the bends..

Since my warrantee expired I went down to my Honda dealer & checked out the new 2019 DCT on display with Ride by wire etc.. So after riding the latest offering I MUST SAY I AM VERY IMPRESSED!! Firstly the throttle response is much more immediate & power flows effortlessly when accelerating even in D mode. Most importantly the clutch feathering is really good!! It's MUCH less on/off than previous models! I do not know how they did it, but WELL DONE HONDA! That is why I am the proud owner of a new Red 2019 DCT instead of another manual model. As I use it a lot for commuting in dense traffic this version DCT is really a treat in traffic. Yes I still sometimes have to bypass & downshift to get it a bit smoother on acceleration out of some turns only in D mode, but that is really the only thing I can mention.. The self cancelling flickers are a bonus too since I do forget them sometimes.. The sound of the new exhaust is also something I could mention as being an improvement to my liking. The whole experience of this latest package is really pleasing.. I think it is a matter of personal preference, but in my opinion, if given enough time on the latest 2019 DCT, the majority of riders would grow to love it more than the manual version if not from the word go.. Reliability, well I have a VFR1200F dct 2012 model with 104 000 km's & gearbox feels the same as the day I purchased it.. No one I have read about had problems with Honda's dct stuff worth mentioning.. So now worries there.. Ps. Unfortunately I have only ridden the 2017 DCT for a short while on marble like gravel & did find that it is a lot easier without needing to worry about which gear you are in.. Mostly rode it in sport mode with gravel mode engaged. You can set many parameters like enjine braking, power & traction control so you should be able to find one suited for your riding style.. I am only going on gravel later this year towards summer with my latest purchase, but I am sure it could only be better than the previous model..
Cuchulainn and Speedo007 like this.

Last edited by africano; 08-08-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm leaning pretty hard towards the DCT, just another quick question hopefully some in here could answer it for me.
When riding the DCT off road will it shift with the tire spinning or what happens in that situation? Thanks again for all the replying you guys are doing.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM

It will shift without interrupting the power delivery to the rear tire.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page