DCT or trusty clutch? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

DCT or trusty clutch?

Well guys I am almost a owner of a 2018 ATAS the dealer has either bike the DCT or the manual clutch bike, I have a deposit on both bikes. I've never ridden a DCT bike.
I have no problem working a clutch at all. I would say I'm a very very experienced rider everything from motorcros racing to drag racing high hp turbo busas and zx14s to long distance touring on my Victorys I have probably 300+k of riding miles done so far across the lower 48. Anyways is there a reason I should get a DCT or a clutch over the other? I plan on riding this bike as a adventure bike and taking the roads less traveled. The bikes I have deposits on are over 1000 miles away from me as I type this and my plane ticket to go pick up one is already payed for. I fly out next week to ride my new bike home.
So again is there any reason for me to get a DCT over a clutch? I'm leaning towards the DCT but I just dont want to get stranded somewhere because faulty electrical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:27 PM

My DCT has been completely trouble free. I got it new 3 years ago. I chose the DCT specifically for negotiating slow difficult terrain without stalling.
Cuchulainn likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM

I have the same '18 ATAS dct that I bought 6 wks ago but not a really an experienced rider. I got mine to help deal with living in stop-n-go traffic in a big city of 3M, but if I lived anywhere else I would have gotten the clutch. My previous R1 had a lot more hp closer to 200hp like your Buza and ZX14, so I think you might get bored. I see mine like a big scooter that I will never have to worry about false neutral shifts again. It's big and pretty, can do wheelies and off road with the right settings, and has a soft cushy ride. But at my age and abilities, it's perfect.
Dct has had some probs with clogged fuel filter from factory causing it to stall, much about it in the forum, though I didn't know it when I bought mine. Not a big deal but tank must be removed to put a new filter and clean the tank.

'18 ATAS dct leftover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:20 PM

I think the question is very difficult. I have been riding for decades and moved to a AT dct from an aircooled ducati mts. I use mine mainly in manual shifts outside of the city and the gear changes are amazingly smooth and fast. Mid bend changes are absolutely np if needed.
One of the issues I have is the slow manouvers where all the adjustment you can do is the throttle as opposed to the throttle-clutch combo. In this case the strain on modulating the throttle can be tiring. The other one is to roll freely into a parking space without loaded rear wheel (clutch used).
Riding in the city is great and also when i feel a bit lazy on a trip.
Having ridden 6k kms in the last 3 months I am still undiceded what is better overall. Will run this for snother few monthd snd letís see.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 AM

The DCT is proven and time tested technology that has improved over the years. It is very reliable and because the gear changes are click-click smooth, the clutches themselves are effectively everlasting. There is a bike in Austria, a 2016 that has done 230,000 km with no problems with the engine or clutches.

Slow, very slow riding takes a bit of time to master. Throttle and rear brake. Easy and natural once you've tried it a few time.

I think DCT is great. I have zero regrets. Very weird at the start but very natural after a very short amount of time. In my case that was 10 minutes.
ProCycle likes this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:01 PM

I don't wish to be part of the demise of manual transmissions on motorcycles. So I went Manual...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
My wife and I have had zero issues with the DCT either. Mine originally 2016, hers 2017. When I had the option for a "do over" in deciding between the DCT and Manual recently in changing to an Adventure Sports model, I once again chose the DCT model.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
My wife and I have had zero issues with the DCT either. Mine originally 2016, hers 2017. When I had the option for a "do over" in deciding between the DCT and Manual recently in changing to an Adventure Sports model, I once again chose the DCT model.
One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how great the DCT is for packing a passenger. No helmet bonking. Passenger doesn't get rocked around at every shift. She can enjoy the ride better because she doesn't have to spend as much attention anticipating those shifts.
Cuchulainn likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Manual.
Big Bear likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Exclamation

Manual - DCT is dark magic not to be trusted!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page