Africa Twin Seat - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Africa Twin Seat

Hi , new to adv touring . just went on a week long tour and I noticed that my behind was getting sore after about 2 hours in the saddle . Just wondering if there is a company that modifies the seat for long distance comfort or any mods that I could do to make my seat more comfortable. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 PM

There are companies like Sargent, Russel, etc., that can fix you up, but depending on where you are located you may have someone handy to fit the seat to your particular posterior. Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon we have Don Weber at Mr. Ed's Moto who has been making custom seats for close to 50 years. He did my Wing, and now my ATAS. Where are you?

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
I fixed my seat problem; traded the AT for a BMW R1200RT. Super comfy seat.

Later, Bud...
-mek- likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:06 PM

So Bud, are you just lurking here to hand a ration of snarky crap to those who ride something other than what you ride?

Seats are an individual issue. Some like myself have a big A$$, some a small bony one, but few have the typical 150 pound Asian body that Japanese bikes are designed for. For my part the reason that I bought my ATAS was that over a year ago I rented a 1200 GS for a week in WV, and fell in love with the way it handled. However, not having a dealership withing an hour and a half, and then having to put up with the "elitism" that those shops demonstrated, chose to go the Africa Twin route. after investing a few bucks in aftermarket it handles just as well, sits just as well if not better, and my investment is $10K+ less than what a new GS would have cost. But then, I am an old fart that likes to do all of my own wrenching and the group I ride with includes many brands and types. ****, I even maintain a customized HD Electra Glide for a non-profit board on which I serve. veteranscarecenters.org

Point being, if you are going to participate in this user group, try to be constructive and helpful. Just saying.
gvmumbral and gbrand42 like this.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 PM

I took my seat to an upholstery shop, had it lowered and better foam installed. Night and day difference over the stock setup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 AM

Garage
The seat isn't perfect. The more I rode the less the seat hurt my butt. Conditioning I think they call it! Butt(!) there are plenty of aftermarket comfy seats for these bikes. I don't mean to sound like an ass(!) butt(!) ride more!
David Taylor likes this.

The more you've found, the less you've been around.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:48 AM

Seat Concepts Rally Seat. It makes the bike a bit taller but if you're 5'11"+ it also adds legroom and removes most of the uncomfortable slope in the stock seat. I'd recommend buying the foam and cover for the rider seat and just the cover for the passenger seat (as the rally passenger foam is less comfortable than stock for the passenger).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT-7.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	49931  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFMoore View Post
So Bud, are you just lurking here to hand a ration of snarky crap to those who ride something other than what you ride?

Seats are an individual issue. Some like myself have a big A$$, some a small bony one, but few have the typical 150 pound Asian body that Japanese bikes are designed for. For my part the reason that I bought my ATAS was that over a year ago I rented a 1200 GS for a week in WV, and fell in love with the way it handled. However, not having a dealership withing an hour and a half, and then having to put up with the "elitism" that those shops demonstrated, chose to go the Africa Twin route. after investing a few bucks in aftermarket it handles just as well, sits just as well if not better, and my investment is $10K+ less than what a new GS would have cost. But then, I am an old fart that likes to do all of my own wrenching and the group I ride with includes many brands and types. ****, I even maintain a customized HD Electra Glide for a non-profit board on which I serve. veteranscarecenters.org

Point being, if you are going to participate in this user group, try to be constructive and helpful. Just saying.
Very well put, I get tired of people with nothing to offer but insults rather than actually trying to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
gbrand42 and olmoggy1 like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
Simply 3 choices:
1.) After market - expensive, but all are good, unfortunately varies per individual and most have a favorite manufacturer (from past use)
2.) Re-foam - have a local upholstery cut back and replace the top layer of foam with something ( trail and error there too) but cheaper.
3.) Seat cushions - Aftermarket motorcycle and ATV seat cushions, trail and error there too but, for the most part, cheaper than the above two.

But in the end, it’s all personal and unfortunately it will be up to your butt and trial and error.

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowriderbud View Post
I fixed my seat problem; traded the AT for a BMW R1200RT. Super comfy seat.

Later, Bud...
pmsl!
This guy is so funny... so he is saying he had the bike equivalent to Scarlett Johansson with nymphomania BUT she had a pimple on her bum.....so you traded her for Jocelyn Wildensten with vaginismus!?! (but no pimple on her bum!).

Keep up the trolling bmw boy, and thanks for the giggles!

2 wheels is always enough!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in