Raised the forks 6mm. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Allen Orazio Jr.

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Raised the forks 6mm.

I am one of those who has never been happy with the front end on my AT. I always found the front end to be "bouncy" and lacking in feedback. I tried many adjustments and considered even more, to the point of maybe even going to a 17 / 19 wheel combination. To address this issue I changed out the fork springs with some from Cogent and replaced the fork oil. The spring change resulted in a vast improvement in the reduction of the "bounciness" and diving while braking. But I still found that ripples and waves in the road upset the stability of the front wheel, and that's pretty much all of the roads around here. The front end was to light and easily deflected. The bike did not have the stability I like or the ability to corner with confidence without continuous small steering corrections. So yesterday I raised the forks 6mm in the triple trees and am happy to report that the front end is much more stable, with better feedback and a greatly reduced tendency to be upset by the poor condition of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:21 PM

I find riding downhill on gravel roads with marble-sized gravel to be disconcerting on this bike. I have also changed out my front springs and oil and improved things but will also try your suggestion - thanks for posting.
Bob
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:25 PM

If raising the forks in the triple tree addressed it, have you tried before just maxing the preload to raise the rear to see if it had the same effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I've set the sag and it was close. I'm a xxl and weight 255, my rear preload is maxed. A shock upgrade or at least a new spring is on the to do list, but at this point I'm pleased with the results.
Speedo007 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Orazio Jr. View Post
I'm a xxl and weight 255
XXL here too currently at 252 and growing until broke toe mends. Had dealer adjust soft front end as well in 1st week similar to your specs, now much better feedback!

'18 ATAS dct leftover
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 PM

BOUNCE BOUNCE, MY front wheel hits a bump then bounces up & down, I would like to have 3 of front travel instead of 81/2. The 21 wheel should be replaced with a 14 wheel, this should stop the BOUNCE 👍👍👀
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Orazio Jr. View Post
I've set the sag and it was close. I'm a xxl and weight 255, my rear preload is maxed. A shock upgrade or at least a new spring is on the to do list, but at this point I'm pleased with the results.
My At rides smoother with my gf onboard (200lbs+110lbs) and I set preload to about 3/4 to max. I've read somewhere the stock spring is for a 160lbs rider. I'm still hesitating to change things on the suspensions. Though when I ride solo its a bit harsher than I would like, 2up it rides really nice and even front bounce is less pronounced when riding with a passenger. I could certainly improve comfort by a 10%, but I could also end up messing it up hehe I deally I'd have the rear spring beefed up, valving redone to reduce high speed damping and forks resprung.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page