Build your own ATAS rack - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hillbilly

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Build your own ATAS rack

Greetings AT Enthusiasts

I'm new here and enjoying everyone's input on AT's- thanks!

I recently acquired a 2018 ATAS and after looking around for a suitable rear rack, found that there really weren't any that met my needs, notably one with a vertical bar that I could use to more securely attach accomodation, fuel, sleeping gear etc. So I built one out of bits of crap that I had sitting around my shed, and a 410mm by 410mm by 5mm steel plate. If you're interested in building one yourself, feel free to PM me for more info but it's not that difficult if you're moderately handy with a welder, angle grinder, drill and paint brush. The total cost of the one in the picture was about $65.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_162955[1].jpg
Views:	108
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	50155   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_162807[1].jpg
Views:	103
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	50157  
AT-Dragon and John Brown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
That will work. Tho with out any luggage on it, it kinda looks like a carrying handle. I’m currently working on adding a MOLLE system to the outside of my panniers and top box so I can add and remove different types of bags, pouches, bottle holders, etc to the outside of the boxes and swap them out depending on my trip/ride.. I’ll post some pictures when I’m done... that wouldn’t be a bad idea for yours; hang a MOLLE panel inside the loop of that bar to add a place to attach different attachments you might need, like pouches, knife holders, axe holders, etc...

BTW you need to get a blue foam piece for the underside so it will match the bike..

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-08-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Yup. It does look like a carrying handle, but it's a useful vertical anchor if you're carrying a swag, tent, sleeping bag, etc, and don't want them moving about, and if you want to carry a fuel container vertically to save space and have it more effectively secured. Also possibly handy as a central point for a MOLLE system as you suggested- pictures apppreciated! The brown thing under my rack is a boomerang-shaped (follows the line of the original ATAS rack) section of 10mm hard fibreboard drowned in weatherpoof laquer. Without a spacer of that thickness the rack sits down hard into the back seat.

I did try to buy red, white and blue striped paint so that it'd match the bike but the guy at the paint shop said he was still waiting on a special order of tartan-coloured paint and as soon as that came in, he'd see what he could do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:32 AM

I've just bought a new AT and want a top box. I like the Givi Trekker 30L but I'm reluctant to go to all the hassle and expense of fitting the special Givi frame.
This may sound like a bodge but has anybody ever considered or tried to simply drill 4 holes in the bottom of a top box case and fit using the 4 holes in the AT rear frame?
With the proper spacers and washers I'm sure it could be sealed OK.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalmack View Post
I've just bought a new AT and want a top box. I like the Givi Trekker 30L but I'm reluctant to go to all the hassle and expense of fitting the special Givi frame.
This may sound like a bodge but has anybody ever considered or tried to simply drill 4 holes in the bottom of a top box case and fit using the 4 holes in the AT rear frame?
With the proper spacers and washers I'm sure it could be sealed OK.
I did something similar with my KLR had a couple of different size boxes mounted to a steel plate that would mount to a cheap box/rack system
Yea you can easily just drill and bolt any box to your back rack. The only reason to use the mounting plate is for easy and quick removal of the box and to avoid drilling. I’ve seen ppl mount pelican cases like that to the back rack, no big deal if you don’t wanna take it on and off a lot and don’t mind a few more holes on your box..

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-09-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page