How long do you plan on keeping your AT? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

How long do you plan on keeping your AT?

I was just curious so I thought I'd pose the question to the collective.

One of the things I've noticed is in my news feeds, there's a lot of hate for the AT. Maybe more than I've seen for other bikes... most comments seem to come from non owners however. The other thing is we have some pretty amazing choices out there, the t7, 790, 1090, f850gs, a new 850 AT?

How many of you are feeling the pull of another bike as a replacement for your cfl1000?

My answer is I'm keeping mine till its no longer feasible to keep safely on the road. With the care in my maintenance, I want to see how many miles it will go. I'm appreciating the simplicity of my '17 more now that I'm seeing the trend towards more computerized wizardry. I've dropped a fortune in farkles with the suspension upgrades still to come. The bike fulfills it's purpose perfectly for me..... If I get another bike, it'll be a 250. I'm not concerned with resale with this view.

Whether it's computers, smartphones, the marketing preys on our nature to always want the next best thing. I truly feel that ditching this bike would have me regretting it and searching for an identical replacement. I think it's cool seeing the original AT's with their original owners and feel bad for the guys that regret selling theirs.

Obviously life circumstances change, maybe you bought in to the honda marketing, but now living with this bike for over a year, 14,000miles, I feel I got exactly what I expected and those expectations matched the actual design purpose of the bike.

How bout ya'll?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Honestly I don't know and can't say. But here's a positive note. I ride 50/50. I tolerate paved roads to get to the dirt. Its a good thing I live in Colorado as the dirt roads are plentiful. I bought a 2016 Africa Twin after owning a Super Tenere and a Tiger XCx. As the marketing says, it make an average rider a better rider. Its true.. I was drifting the bike around corners on forest service roads and fire roads. It was just an outstanding ADV bike off-road. Onroad I found it to be okay. It didn't like to be pushed too hard as feedback wasn't very good. It's a bit buzzy and does feel like a big true dual-sport more than an ADV bike.

Well after only a year I bought a fully loaded 2017 BMW GS Adventure. Seems the ADV world is enamored with it so I had to see what it was about. It is a nice bike and really polished. It chews up road miles comfortably. But since I do 50/50. It wasn't nearly as good off-road. The ride is numb off-road. You can't tell what the bike is doing under you until it slides somewhat suddenly and not always expected. And lots of people say it doesn't feel as heavy as looks, thats not really a compliment. That means you expect it to handle "heavy" in the dirt and it doesn't. It doesnt' mean it feel light. I'm not knocking the bike. I think it's a really great bike if you do say 80/20 and don't do anything too difficult. Yeah of course there are the extremely skilled that can take it anywhere but for the average rider, it's work off-road.

I missed my AT. So I sold the BMW and bought 2019 AT Adventure Sports. Amazing bike. Just feels right off-road. And don't know what they did to it but my AS handles much better than my standard did. It's probably the suspension. But whatever it is it's better on-road. Its still a bit buzzy and still feels like a bigger dual sport compared to the BMW. But I have no regrets and am really enjoying the ATAS!

I've considered KTM but every time I seriously considered it, there seemed to be negative issues from owners like dirt getting in to the airbox and damaging the engine as well as some other issues. So I've never really considered one.

So we'll see how long I keep my ATAS. Right now I can't imagine riding anything else.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:34 PM

When the AT stops putting a smile on my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:20 PM

I plan to keep mine and do all services that I can myself , have friendly garage for the rest .
I absolutely love it and my other half too.
We plan on touring with it . I don't do off road so it's getting set up for 98,% road use .
Lots done already making it mine and more planned.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Iíll have mine 4 years next March and canít see me replacing it anytime soon. Iíve looked at whatís currently available and thereís nothing else that floats my boat, plus the money Iíve spent on it to make it into everything I need is considerable. And thatís the thing, it just does everything I need perfectly. I would like a Z900RS as a second bike, but I canít see that happening.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 PM

I haven't seen anything that pulls me toward it like the AT. I like the Tenere and T700 but they are too big and one is pretty stripped down for the price. I've always like the GS Adventure but dollar for dollar the AT is a pretty good bike for a lot less. I've had a sport bike and can't see myself going back that route again since the adventure bikes open up so many possibilities for travel.

The only other bike I'm currently considering is a trail bike or the CRF450L for adventure touring on a smaller scale.

I've ridden the AT more kilometres in a shorter time than any other bike that I've owned - I love riding it, a lot! I think the AT ticks most of my boxes as a rider and can't foresee selling it for a while.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
I'm at 25 months and nearly 18k miles. It's not going anywhere. Mostly road use this year, but last year it took me around AZ, CO, and UT. Dirt roads and Jeep trails. It's perfect for allowing me to follow gps guidance into deep woods with single lane gravel roads with creek crossings. Then, my AT is flipping left and right through twisties just a few miles lATer.

Marc

AMA & IBA member
2017 690 Enduro R & 2012 Concours 14 traded for the 2017 Africa Twin
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
I missed my AT. So I sold the BMW and bought 2019 AT Adventure Sports. Amazing bike. Just feels right off-road. And don't know what they did to it but my AS handles much better than my standard did. It's probably the suspension. But whatever it is it's better on-road. Its still a bit buzzy and still feels like a bigger dual sport compared to the BMW. But I have no regrets and am really enjoying the ATAS!

I've considered KTM but every time I seriously considered it, there seemed to be negative issues from owners like dirt getting in to the airbox and damaging the engine as well as some other issues. So I've never really considered one.

So we'll see how long I keep my ATAS. Right now I can't imagine riding anything else.
I spent some time on a couple of 2017 AT's before buying my ATAS. The suspension is definitely better. The tank cutouts on the ATAS seem to curve outward sooner - making for less knee room - but I think that is partly the seat height too. The suspension and dash are enough that I'm glad I got the ATAS though...
AdvArt likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 PM

I have 8 months and 9,000 kilometers with my AT DCT. So far, so good. It is the bike of my life.
I got it because of the automatic transmision and could not be hapier. I will keep it forever!!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:27 AM

Garage
The reason there are so many great deals on used motorcycles. The companies know that the average rider only rides about 2800 miles per year. Folks, motorcycle are expensive toys, not a means of transportation. The Tsumami that destroyed Hondaís plant in Japan on November 22, 2016 caused a major delay on when Honda could actually deliver this bike. So, many of ordered early folks like myself did not get our bikes for almost 6 months later. The late delivery really hurt Honda, after all the promotions on this bike.

When my AT finally arrived, I had to go into the hospital the next day to have a knee replaced. After a few months I got on my bike twice, and then back to the hospital to have to other knee replaced. Finally, got the knees fixed, then back to the hospital two have the lens in my right eye replaced. So, ready to ride I got put back into the hospital have the other eye lens replaced.

Finally, in 2018 I got to ride my almost new 2016 AT DCT. Put 25,000 miles the AT in 2018. After all this is an adventure bike. Then came 2019 and bingo a AFIB problem. Spent two weeks in the hospital and 4 months in a life vest.

Finally the doctors gave me permission to ride again. Went home and was getting into my riding clothes then the cat pulled out a telephone wire, perfect leg trap, and down I went. This time 19 stitches in my leg, a concussion, and a dislocated shoulder.

So, finally I was cleared to ride, and the DCT has gone south. The dealership keep the bike for two months and could not figure out the problem. The dealership also dropped the bike twice bending the muffler, front windshield, and engine guards. So, last week I went an got the bike from the dealership, and this old mid-70 year old man fixed the bike himself from information that I got from the folks on this forum. Thanks All.

So, finally I should be able to ride again! Going to the Barbara for Heritage days and the races next month. Then back to the Appalachian Mounts and Iron Horse. The dragon is always waiting. Then on to Virginia to see George Washingtonís home.

Oh yes, I still have my 1978 Gold Wing with over 500,000 miles. I got my first bike on July 30, 1958. Had one every day since. My first date with my wife in 1966 was on a bike. Had to take her father riding before she could ride with me. Flagged a old man down in Vietnam Nam, and bought his press framed 90cc because I just not be without a bike for year. For almost 61 years I have averaged 25,000 miles per year on my bike. At my age I will be dead before this bike is, so I guess I will never sell the Africa Twin DCT..... Besides I do like this bike!!!! Hope to see and meet you guys on the road....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page