AT 2016 DCT vs. AT 2019 manual - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By AT-Dragon
  • 2 Post By Robert Detjen

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

AT 2016 DCT vs. AT 2019 manual

Hi.
I own the AT 2016 DCT, and like it very much.
Now days, Just before the 2020 launch, I can have the opportunity to trade-in to the AT 2019 manual model (no DCT in stock) in good price, But still its a lot of money to add...its about 8000 Euro in Israeli money (vehicles in here are twice the price than in Europe).
What Do you say, are the model improvments worth the extra money? I Will fill the difference?
Did someone here bought the manual after years of DCT, and happy with it?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
Lol now that’s a “can of worms to open” and I got the can opener, cause I enjoy worms...

Here’s my thoughts; if you think about it, really, unless you have some kind of physical reason you can’t shift a motorcycle the DCT is just an expensive toy or “want”, more like something you would prefer but not really NEED. Kind of like buying the “deluxe” model. Now with that said, you can also apply that to YOU getting a new bike altogether, unless there’s something wrong with your old AT, you don’t really NEED one you want one and it’s all up to you, if, you want to get rid of that extra money. I take it you have ridden manual motorcycles before and assume you have enjoyed riding them, so it all boils down to YOUR happiness and if that is worth it to you and did the DCT really make riding even more enjoyable or not or even more of a ‘convenience” worth paying for... So does it?
Personally, I’ve been riding long enough that shifting is not even a conscious though for me and if I get on a manual bike I’d still just run through the gears with out a second thought. Funny thing is now with my DCT I’m actually more aware or at least pay more attention to the gears it’s in; mainly I think because I’m just making sure it doing what it’s supposed to be doing ( lol and sometimes it is not what I’d prefer). So no personally I myself wouldn’t miss it but then I’ve been on bike for 40+ years so I’m actually more accustomed to clutches than automatic’s...

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:55 PM

The dash is better, and I think the 2019 has the extra modes like the 2018 ATAS. Me personally - I would keep the 2016 and buy a nice GPS or seat or lights for it to freshen it up.
silverfox966 and Mosko like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:42 AM

I’ve got a 2017 DCT and whilst it was having some work done I borrowed a manual 2019 bike for a couple of hours. I thought the new bike felt a bit quicker than mine, a bit more responsive, but the throttle also felt a bit snatchy. The handling felt better but that could be down to the tyres, mine still has the original Dunlops which aren’t great. The display showed more information, probably too much really, and I don’t think I’d use the extra modes, adjustable engine braking etc.

When I got my bike back, my initial reaction was that I probably would like the newer bike if it was cheap enough, but overall I’m still satisfied with mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page